Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Is Glentress Shut?
  • P20

As per title. A mate reckons its largely shut due to tree felling??

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    P20

Isn’t it all the fun bits though?

The Red Route is closed from Posts 29 – 13 (Pennel’s Vennel) until Friday 10th Feb and also closed from post 16 – 44 (Spookywood Climb/Descent & Super G) until Fri 24th Feb due to tree felling operations.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Isn’t it all the fun bits though?

No.

bigjim

You will need to change your tyres at the diversions now though.

P20

Still worth a 2hr drive then?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What’s wrong with Inners?

P20

I’ve only done bits of it as part of Three Brethren. The guys who i’m going with aren’t the most confident riders and i’m led to believe its a more technical trail

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

When are you going? Most of those closures are only until friday

P20

Tomorrow

P20

Change of plan. We’re heading to Whinlatter instead. Cheers

iain1775
    Free Member

Even with half closed there is more at GT than there is at a fully open whinlatter
    Especially for less. Confident riders

Northwind

If anyone else is wondering, that’s a reasonably big closure but still leaves what are IMO the best bits, and cuts out the worst bit. Most riders seem to go straight past Pennel’s Vennel anyway to cut out the short climb after, and Spooky’s a one-trick pony so no great loss if you don’t like jumps and berms.

A mixed-up GT Red and Blue makes for a great ride and would still be long enough for most people for a day out.

richmtb

Yeah go down Berm Baby Berm instead of Pennels Vennel, more fun.

Ride up to the Radio mast and down the Black from there.

Or just do the Blue

Or just mess about in the jump park all day.

But hey what do I care I’m flying to New Zealand tomorrow 😀

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Have it on good authority that the diversions

take in some brilliant old skool trails

I’d choose a mostly shut Glentress over Whinlatter any day.

Northwind

Actually really wanting to get down while the closures are on now, to see if there’s anything on the diversions I don’t know about. Unless its just boundary trail?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

You can still get up to spooky easily, its only part of the climb that is shut.

coogan
    Free Member

Spooky is average. Much more fun to be had on the black and other bits.

P20

I guess if you’re a local or a regular, it’s easy to make your own way to link bits up. I’m not so hence going for an easier option of winlatter. Glentress will be there another day

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

If you can get a map then it’s not too hard to link stuff together. Think you can download them from the 7stanes website or buy one in Alpine Bikes or the cafe.

WillC9999
    Free Member

I reckon the final blue descent is the best bit of modern style trail centre riding in the UK. There. That’s provocative.

nick1962
    Free Member

Black closed from Deliverance till it rejoins the rest (83-86) last I read till June FFS-Secrets and lies similar. 😥

bigjim

I reckon the final blue descent is the best bit of modern style trail centre riding in the UK

I reckon its the most basic, widest, blandest chore of a way to lose altitude I’ve ridden. Hows that?!

coogan
    Free Member

I reckon its the most basic, widest, blandest chore of a way to lose altitude I’ve ridden. Hows that?!

That’s a fair point well put that is. Pow!

Northwind

The top bit of that descent- car park down to fire road- is fab. But then it does become a bit of a pedally runway, to be fair. And also if you’re riding it, it means you’ve just not ridden falla brae, which is obviously just mad.

redfordrider
    Free Member

Just got back from a two hour ride. Lots of signs and diversions about, but still very worthwhile. Found some bits that I’ve not done before. Ground was frozen so the bike is pretty clean although I will need to get the road salt off it pronto. Can’t wait to do it again.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Yep GT is shut for the foreseeable. There is a big sign saying – “no fun here: Whinlatter this way ->”

Seriously – there are some big diversions (I think the black ones are ace – but the red is a ball ache). But still lots and lots to do. And all due to finish this Friday.

ChrisL

And also if you’re riding it, it means you’ve just not ridden falla brae, which is obviously just mad.

Better they do the blue bit (Good Game) rather than doing Falla Brae and straightlining all the smashing wiggly bits, as an apparently increasing number of numpties are doing. 🙁

BTW, the blue is suffering quite a bit too:

The Blue Route from the Buzzards Nest car park (all of Upper Loop), is closed, posts 11 – 30, due to tree felling operations, until Friday 10th Feb.

Out of the diversions on the red I’d miss Pennels Vennel and Super G way more than Spooky Wood.

jed6906
    Free Member

I am hoping to travel up from North Yorkshire early next week with a few lads to ride one of the 7stanes. Glentress was our preferred option, but it sounds like we should maybe move over to one of the western trails??

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

jed – Friday 10th these diversions are meant to finish (well the main ones anyway). But honestly – there is still a ton of stuff open – and depending on what day’s you’re here someone will happily show you round – me included. Email in my profile.

kennyp
    Free Member

I could happily spend all day doing Berm Baby Berm. But I am a bermaholic.

redfordrider
    Free Member

berm baby berm is even better at night. Would’ve gone straight past it tonight if it weren’t for the diversions.

althepal

Is spooky open from today or is the climb and descent still closed? Heading down on sunday and trying to decide if inners might be better…

ChrisL

From the link above:

The Red Route is closed from posts 16 – 44 (Spookywood Climb/Descent & Super G) until Fri 24th Feb due to tree felling operations.

So it looks like Spooky Wood is still closed. I’d feel the absence of Super G more, to be frank. 🙂

mc
    Free Member

Mr. Menmuir, that you plagiarising my facebook posts? 😉

Spooky climb + descent are shut, as they’re felling next to the descent and access roads. Mast road is also shut, but I’m guessing that’s more to keep people away from spooky, as they’re not actually working near the mast road.
    Black is also diverted after the boundary trail, which means you’ve got to take the diversion to the bottom of redemption to get back.

Despite all that, I still had a cracking post work ride on wednesday, taking in some red, blue, black, off-piste, and diversions rolling back into the car park just as being sans light was becoming a problem 😀

MarkN
    Free Member

http://www.7stanesmountainbiking.com/Glentress—Innerleithen

Looks like red route, post 16-44, is closed until 24th Feb.

althepal

Yargh. Was looking forwards to spooky woods..

Neil-F
    Free Member

This is just awful!
    First the Hub shuts, now this!!!
    Get it sorted FC!!! 🙁

doubledunter
    Free Member

You can still get to spooky wood from pennels vennals side, head up the shortcut as you head to betty blue..

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

This is just awful!
    First the Hub shuts, now this!!!
    Get it sorted FC!!!

Comedy post of the week 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Is Glentress Shut?’ is closed to new replies.