Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Is anybody else getting noisy ads on here?
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I keep getting blasted by ads making a shed load of noise and its getting on my tits.

I normally leave my speakers turned on so I can watch little vids in the office but these new ads keep popping up and letting everybody know I’m not working.

Yes I could turn the speakers off but I shouldn’t have to. I don’t mind fancy moving ads, I can deal with that. If I can’t do something about it I might have to do something drastic.

Oh and before anybody asks I don’t want to use ad-blocker because I understand STWs need for revenue but this is a step too far and is very intrusive.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Yep – bleeding annoying – until I logged in.

wwaswas

was on here yesterday – Drac said he’d ask for it to be looked into.

if you report your own post (or mine) and complain maybe it’ll get looked at again.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I figured going premier might solve it TBH however there arn’t many other benefits for me.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Too noisy

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah, they seem to keep crashing my flash player plugin as well.

kimbers

yup keep forgetting and getting busted in work!

Drac

Reported this thread too, now back to work.

Cougar

I uninstalled Flash in Firefox and use IE Tab 2 to force the IE rendering engine when I need it for YouTube etc. Works well for me, and no animated adverts.

chewkw
    Free Member

Can’t hear anything as my speakers are on full? :mrgreen:

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Hi All,
    I’d just like to clarify a few points.
    Wherever possible we block or request that our advertising networks do not show autoplaying video/audio ads. The process for requesting and blocking varies but we do act to remove any such ads.

If users alert us to a specific ad we can look into blocking it. However, this does require that we identify the delivery network – something that is not always obvious. Nobody has said what ads they are talking about and as ads are often based on your browsing history, location and settings everyone will have a different experience. Basically, if you don’t give me specifics I can’t help.

We do not use ads to push Premier – the majority of the site’s users are not Premier much as we would like them to be. Ultimately all traffic to the site needs to be paid for. If you are a subscriber we figure you’ve paid and give you the option to turn off ads. If you don’t subscribe you get ads to cover our running costs.

Hope that helps and if anyone has issues with the site email me.

Cheers

Cougar

this does require that we identify the delivery network – something that is not always obvious

Perhaps it might be worth putting together a guide on how an end user can report this. Or, have a ‘report advertisement’ link which will return the relevant info back to you maybe?

chewkw
    Free Member

I have full ads on but which ad(s) are you guys referring to?

Can Singletrackworld do a deal with Emirates airline so that members of the forum get some good flight deals? Like more than 15% discount for long-haul flight?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Thanks for your reply Patrick.

One of the Ads was for Vanish and another kept playing the start of a Ting Tings song. Next time one comes on I will put up on here as to what it is.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Love the fact they were advertsing washing powder/liquid… talk about target marketing, why not sheds or Plasma TV’s? stuff you can’t get enough of.

stever
    Free Member

Phew thanks for the reminder. Just logged in on this new computer and my visual headache’s gone right down. I was wondering what all those ads for weightloss and accountancy exams were all about. I was thinking sarcastic thoughts about the STW demographic.

pitduck
    Free Member

😆

I_Ache
    Free Member

It’s weird, they say its linked to your browsing history but I get ads for accountancy, vanish and weight loss. I don’t look at these things so why am I getting ads?

Cougar

Cookie blocking?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Is anybody else getting noisy ads on here?’ is closed to new replies.