Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Is a softshell worth it?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

My local outdoor clothing store has a few soft shells on offer which got me thinking, is it worth investing about £40-50 in a softshell?

I currently have an eVent jacket that is great for when it's really chucking it down but what about when it looks to be a bit changeable out? Would a lightweight softshell that can be used as a normal jersey but has an element of water resistance be a worthwhile investment? or what are other options for water resistance and warmth?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If it's a decent one, IMO, yes. Not that waterproof but means you can wear less underneath than a "normanl" jersey, and not get as sweaty.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Depends what you're looking at and where you live I reckon. Since I got mine for hillwalking I virtually live in it, but it's not often cold enough for it on the bike down here in the midlands.

swoosh
    Free Member

i live in the midlands too.

was hoping that it would allow me to wear just it on its own on cool days and if it gets really cold, with a baselayer under it.

I like the look (and price) of the Dare2b Jack Knife

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I got one of these from Decathlon, for chilly spring/autumn weather, and it's fantastic. Actually far more 'waterproof' than I thought it would be. Not bike specific, but better than a lot of bike stuff, and simpler looking. Works brilliantly, and is excellent value for money, imo.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/forclaz-900-67849971/

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I've got an Endura one and it's good for cold days. It's showerproof, in persistent rain you get damp.

binners

I love my softshell. Ok it isn't a 'proper' waterproof. But it takes quite a bit before it gets really soggy. And its a damn site cooler.

GGB_Andrew
    Free Member

Big thumb up for my GORE softshell.

Had it for years (3-4?) and is good for many conditions. Open it up on a warmish day to stay cool. Put layers under it on a cold winter's day to stay warm.

Certainly shower proof but won't withstand any of the monsoons we've recently had in London!

hainman
    Free Member

i bought a softshell from go-outdoor for £50 and its very light but waterproof to a degree.its a mountainwear one and compaired to all the other softshells it actually feels a totaly different material and very comfy for riding in.

swoosh
    Free Member

only wanting something that's going to be showerproof, if it's going to rain lots i'll be taking the eVent jacket out.

molgrips
    Free Member

Soft-shells are very warm. Many are thick and hence baking warm for cycling, but some thin ones are around. They are still warmer than a pertex shell.

It's worth it if you have a gap in your wardrobe.

binners

If you want a lightweight softshell, try these

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=19204

Much cheaness. I've had one for ages. No too warm and will keep you dry in anything less than monsoon

swoosh
    Free Member

cheap if you are large or extra large but for us mediums they have sold out. 🙁

so what i'm looking for is a lightweight softshell i think. what ones are thin?

grtdkad

I love my Howies jacket ('longwayhome' I think). Great through last autumn and winter – kept most of the chill out (riding when -5C with a couple of merinos on underneath. Well worth the investment.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Love my softshells, wear them commuting 5 days a week for the chillier 6 months of the year. I use one for MTB, but it only gets worn in very chilly conditions. About a million times more breathible than even the best hardshell membranes, keeps the worst off, which is all you need most of the time.

Northwind

I do run warm but I've got a decent softshell and it's completely hopeless for biking IMO, even in the coldest weather it's just far too hot for me. Love it off the bike though but I ride in colder conditions than most people I reckon and still I've never needed more than a good thermal baselayer and light jersey, and my special £5 Tesco fleece with the sleeves cut off

grumm
    Free Member

I love mine but it's a bit warm for cycling unless it's fairly chilly.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I've got a gore n2s phantom, and an endura softshell, and a raceface softshell, they are too hot for biking in unless its below zero. I don't think i'm particulary tolerant of cold conditions.

imn

I asked for recommendations about a thin windproof the other week, as I find my Gore Tool (softshell) too hot over a base layer until later in the year, and it's too cold for just a jersey now. Several people mentioned Montane, and I've just used my new Montane Dynamo jacket today. Although it's discontinued, there are a few places online selling still, and it seems just what I was after. The material is Pertex Equilibrium so it's very breathable and should be shower/rain resistant. Only possible improvements would be slightly longer arms and maybe elasticated cuffs, otherwise ace.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Thumbs up for pertex shells for a lot of situations. You can always put a second jersey on if you want to trap more heat.

smurf
    Free Member

Love my Gore Phantom but it can get hot in this "in between seasons" time of year. You can take the sleeves off the Phantom and the Altura equivalent though (Altura got a best in test I believe in what mountain bike).

This months Trail mag and Country Walking have softshell reviews. Trail only has 5 or so in the review but CW has quite a lot. None will be cycling specific though.

That won't be an issue per se but you might find that sleeves aren't quite long enough or the back rides up when riding. This one of the reasons why I like Gore stuff – it's so well cut (at least for my slim build) for when you're cycling.

smurf

rOcKeTdOg

My endura stealth is too warm even in – degrees I find I get too hot so have only worn it a few times, will probably sell it

karnali
    Free Member

montane dynamo is excellent in cold weather with a long sleeve base under it. zip goes both ways so easy to get full venting without jacket flying behind you. understated looks but ace as a a casual jacket as well

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Love my Endura Stealth. As others have said it's pretty warm, but use it as my only jacket (I live in higland Scotland) from October to April by just varying what I wear underneath.

Key thing is it's very breathable, and has very good core venting – an absolute must for softshell on a bike

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pertex has always been a bit "boil in the bag" for me.

hooja
    Free Member

i got into soft shells through ice climbing, took me a while to convince meself that taking something not guaranteed to be waterproof into the mountains, in severe conditions would be a good idea.
    When i did, it blew me away, like moving from canvas jackets and wooly jumpers to goretex and fleece. Flexibility, comfort, warmth, everything, best move i ever made, i use softshells now on bikes, climbing, hanging out at the beach after a surf and as my everday coat.
    Just dont buy cheap, you really do get what you pay for.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I find soft shells far too hot, even with nothing on underneath.

For me its just use a pertex type windproof with varying layers. Apart from the coldest of days, generally a merino base layer buff on my head/ears is enough. When its about minus three I start thinking about putting other layers on.

swoosh
    Free Member

hmmm, pertex jacket you say?

Are they lined with anything like a thin fleecy layer?

Which do you use scienceofficer?

A quick google only brouhgt up a surface one and a montane one. what else is out there?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I do have a soft shell, but as others have said here – I only wear it off the bike.

Pertex is a trade name for a lightweight, very tight weave nylon (not sure about the nylon bit). Plenty of other types about, mostly marketed as wind-proofs.

They're only usually heavy showerproof at best, but they breathe soooooooo much better than anything plastic membrane based, and dry quicker too.

Personally, I use a Berghaus jacket from their bike line before they abandoned bike wear – their fabric is called 'airfoil'. Its tougher and doesn't pull like Pertex can.

The thing is, if you are always looking to stay dry on a bike, you'll never be happy with any wet weather gear. The key is accepting you'll get wet, but finding something that keeps you warm and dry enough, until you get out of the weather, or you start to dry out.

I've got a proper plastic bag with holes in for when its tipping it down, but I've used it less than 5 times since 2006.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

IMO you can never really stay dry on a bike. Anything that genuinely keeps rain out will not allow sweat out when you are working hard, so you will still get wet.

Everyone to their own, but softshell with thin baselayer fine up to about +10 for me. Key is buy something with very good core venting like the Stealth, and don't buy cheap

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Is a softshell worth it?’ is closed to new replies.