Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Is a Road Rat an MTB……..
  • oldgit
    Free Member

When fitted with 1.75 tyres and flat bars? Viewed from a race organisers angle.

funkynick

First… define mountain bike…

:o)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, having had a Roadrat, I wouldn’t take it offroad at all to be honest. It’s not nice.

MrSmith
    Free Member

it’s a hybrid.
    (and fugly like all hybrids)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And not a particularly good hybrid at that.

psling
    Free Member

Well, if the rider is wearing a backpack then apparantly it will be a MTB, however if they are not wearing a backpack it will be a road bike. HTH 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Rigid Scanal a better option.

miketually
    Free Member

Probably depends on the organiser.

With flat bars, V-brakes/cantis and wide-ish tyres, it’s as much of a MTB as a mid-90s MTB. Cy rode one at SSUK in 2007(?).

cy

As Mike says, I rode mine with that set up (possibly with risers though!) at SSUK in 07. It’s basically a rigid 29er in that spec, and to be honest unless the course is super dooper smoothe it’ll hold back anyone who’s riding one compared to a regular mountain bike.

oldgit
    Free Member

I don’t carry a water butt. And I rarely ride MTB’s now. So I want something that is more of a transition from my road, audax and CX bikes.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

In MTB do race organisers really care about such things and enforce rulings with regards to the bike? (genuinely curious having never done any proper racing)

My roadrat is lovely, but wouldn’t want to do any mountainbiking on it.

oldgit
    Free Member

Curious now. What’s the issue with a Road Rat as an off roader, say compared to a cyclocross bike?
    I’m a pretty tame biker, but I like to cover ground including the getting to and from areas. My cross bike did the job reasonably well, but I wore out bits pretty quick – rims mainly.
    As I want to save my crosser for race day, and I don’t like the squat, squishy feel of an MTB, I thought the RR ideal.

I don’t want another crosser that takes discs as I want to use hydros, which in reality means flats or risers, possibly Jones bars.

So the other option is a scandal with disc 700c wheels shod with 42mm cross tyres. Or I guess 29er wheels in case I want to go bigger.

ds3000
    Free Member

It’d be a Monstercross

Flashy
    Free Member

I’m after a Road Rat if anyone knows of one for sale

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Is a Road Rat an MTB……..’ is closed to new replies.