• This topic has 51 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hels.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Irrational fears as a child
  • Harry_the_Spider

When I was little I was scared of Angela Rippon.

Do I get a prize?

tinsy
    Free Member

Dogs…. Now its just the poo that I dont like…

coffeeking
    Free Member

What about irrational fear OF a child? 😆

No, I had none that I remember BTW, but I was actively taught not to be scared of things, just careful when they're dangerous.

jimmy

I was scared of my dad. Silly boy.

fivelittlefish
    Free Member

Wolves and Spiders

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Would never answer the phone!!!

qcamel
    Free Member

Kate Bush on Top of The Pops used to bring me out in Hives…….

Flaperon

Woolly jumpers.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Headless shop mannequins.

Getting on Busses.

The steep set of steps up the cliff from the beach at Bournemouth.

molgrips
    Free Member

Embarassment, and vomiting. Oh and stairs with no back to the treads.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Used to live in a very old 3 storey house when I was little. At night I used to run everywhere in the house (especially up and down the stairs) as I was sure there was a monster hiding behind every turn. 🙂

Bit like night riding really.

GTDave
    Free Member

I remember going through a phase (aged 7) where I was convinced that my heart would stop beating & I would die in my sleep during that night.
    That gave me a fear of going to bed.
    Of course, it never happened, and so the following night I thought that it would happen that night, and so on.
    That period lasted for a good 6 or so months & was very odd.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Foxes. Used to sleep in the top bed of my bunk bed to keep out of their reach 😆

Anna-B
    Free Member

I was scared of the bottom of our garden at night time because I thought there was a devil living down there.

hora
    Free Member

As a child I was convinced there was a decomposing man with a spear under the bed. So every night I checked before getting in.

As an adult In the Night Garden freaks me out.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Would never answer the phone!!!

Me too. Mainly thanks to this film…

derek_starship
    Free Member

Microwave ovens. Was convinced ionising gamma rays were pouring out from the gap around the door. Was also convinced that microwaved food was radioactive.

trailmonkey

ambliances

KT1973
    Free Member

I was scared of animal the drummer in the muppets. I had a poster of the muppets on my wall and couldn't sleep because of him. My mum had to take it down

nickc

Werewolves. Fora a while I was convinced that they would come and get me whilst doing the paper-round.

brant
    Free Member

For some reason I thought a naughty man would kidnap me in the bushes in the park below Eldwick and stick my willy in the end of a bottle.

Harry_the_Spider

Spits water into keyboard 😯

Do you still have this fear Mr Richards?

molgrips
    Free Member

For a while I always slept with the soles of my feet covered up or against the wall or something. I was afraid that someone would come along and drive a big spike through my heels and up my leg.

ourmaninthenorth

In the winter, when there were no leaves in the trees, the spooky silvery grey colour the branches would go in the car headlights as if they were long tentacles reaching up from the ground. *shivers*

IanMunro
    Free Member

I thought blood pressure cuffs had big spikes on the inside that stabbed you to get at the blood.

Woody
    Free Member

Lemmy scared the cr@p out of me the first time I saw him on TOTP.

Probably not really irrational………………

sherry
    Free Member

Arm chair thriller! Used to scare the living daylights out of me as a child and still does a bit. Even if I heard the tune I would go darting out of the room.

obirobkeno
    Free Member

Was I the only normal kid around?!?!? Although, Brant's addition might have brought on an irrational adult fear…

***notes NOT to go through a park on commute home*** 😥

grynch
    Free Member

there was a sluiceway, unused for ages and covered in vine and weeds, next to a dam just down the hill from where I grew up… I was sure that was where the trolls lived ( now that I've grown up I realize they all live here)

MrsToast
    Free Member

Pylons. I was absolutely terrified of pylons.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Eskimos, god only knows why. and mongooses, they could hypnotize you and then eat you from the feet up while you were still conscious but unable to fight back.

Now it's just power ballads that scare the crap out of me.

ton

being in dark, deep water, at the side of the hull of a big ship…..like titanic sized ship………… 🙁

iDave
    Free Member

i thought if my feet stuck out from under the duvet a pig would eat my toes. in my defence i lived on a farm.

Pigface
    Free Member

Canals

brant
    Free Member

Do you still have this fear Mr Richards?

I always "remember" it when I go past that park. But I'm not terribly scared any more. I think it was my parents gently-gently explanation of paedophilia, though I'm not quite sure where the bottle came in!

My "adult" irrational fear is of anything that's "larger than life"… so if there's something big, that should be small, I get quite physically sick feeling, hairs stood on end, that sort of thing. I first remember getting it at a bike show when I was a bit pissed, and I ended up on the Hope stand, when they had that HUGE Fatso hub.
    Now I get it with washing powder tablets (look like big paracetamol) amongst other things…

westkipper
    Free Member

**** the Daleks! I was terrified of hoovers, esp. the more industrial types.
    Oh aye, and people with pale or vivid blue eyes.

elaineanne
    Free Member

SPIDERS !!!!!!!!!!! i lived in a big old house and the spiders there were as big as tarrantulas i tell you ! they were Always above my bed in the corner….always….

DezB
    Free Member

Killer Whales 🙁

taka
    Free Member

😆 at DezB

i was and still am scared of dieing in my sleep 😯

petefromearth

giraffes

apparently i had one painted on my cot when i was a baby!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Irrational fears as a child’ is closed to new replies.