• This topic has 28 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jae.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • IRN BRU
  • Curly68
    Free Member

Just popped into a newsagent to buy a cold beverage. Saw a bottle of IRN BRU and thought I haven't had one of those for ages.
    What is in it? It just says sparkling flavoured drink. Then a load of preservatives and E numbers. Is nice though!

LeeW

Isn't it made from Girders?

uplink
    Free Member

Isn't it made from Girders?

I think you'll find it's haggis p!ss

epicyclo

Gurdurs definitely and probably dissolved in haggis piss as uplink says.

Much better than Coke 🙂

LeeW

Urgh, I can see all those sweaty's working in the Highlands wringing out P!ss soaked heather now.

_tom_
    Free Member

It's probably made of terrible stuff, but it's so nice!

grtdkad

…bought a bottle a few months ago and can confirm it's definitely made from pish. I remember it tasting a lot nicer when I was a kid (irn bru not psih!!) – though Top Deck was the favourite ….

LeeW

Mountain Dew is the one I remember from my childhood.

kimbers

it tastes just like

which seems to be the national drink in peru

grtdkad

Now that even looks like piss ffs!!!

bruneep

IRN BRU: Its the official hangover cure.

tomzo
    Free Member

Mountain dew > IRN BRU

If only it was available in the UK 🙁

ajf
    Free Member

+1 Brilliant stuff although drinking it reminds me of hangovers

donald
    Free Member

Do you get the Snowman ad in England?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

aren't there only two countries in the world where coca cola isn't the most popular soft drink – peru being one, and scotland (with irn bru being number 1) the other?

konabunny
    Free Member

We once convinced our mate that Irn Bru had been specifically designed to cure hangovers and that if you were ever in Glasgow with a hangover you could go to the Irn Bru Hangover Research Centre and they'd give you a sofa and a dark room and new varieties of Irn Bru to test to see how effective they were at treating hangovers…

samuri
    Free Member

Heh! IRN BRU used to be made in Atherton, in Lancashire.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

IRN BRU used to be made in Atherton, in Lancashire.

So it's cricketer's pish?

wonnyj
    Free Member

Irn Bru in glass bottles, can't beat the taste

eckinspain
    Free Member

i think coke now sells more than irn-bru in scotland unfortunately. It was a great fact while it lasted!

BobaFatt
    Free Member

it's actually number two behind diet coke

must be, the amount of times i've been in the chippy ans some fat burds buying 3 fish suppers, a haggis supper and a half pizza supper, they always buy a can of diet coke to balance out the calories(and before you start, i'm scottish thus i can say what i like)

konabunny
    Free Member

Quattro!

DickBarton

I think it lost out a few years back but latest figures are rather close…either just in front or just behind…

About to start being sold in Australia again and Barrs has seen a 20% increase in sales the last year – which can't be bad.

Irn Bru very cold from a glass bottle – can't beat the taste…but it has to be very cold, slightest warmth to it and it's absolutely awful.

Best drunk very cold and flat!

wavydave
    Free Member

i read about this some time back on the bbc. Apparently there are only 2 people in the world who know the recipe. One is the MD/owner type chap (can't remember the other one.) They aren't allowed to travel on the same plane together, and if the worst should happen the recipe is in a lawyers safe somewhere in a sealed envelope. Apparently the MD guy locks himself in a room once a month to mix the recipe before it is then produced.

I haven't been able to drink it for about 17 years since i got drunk on vodka and irn bru and was VERY ill. Oh and my step dads sister in law hails from Scotland. When i first met her about 20 years ago, that is all she drunk, morning noon and night!!!

DickBarton
    konabunny
    Free Member

Apparently the MD guy locks himself in a room once a month to mix the recipe before it is then produced.

PR nonsense out of the Coke playbook, surely?

samuri
    Free Member

Apparently the MD guy locks himself in a room once a month to mix the recipe before it is then produced.

For 8000 litres? It must be a seriously hard recipe to work out, what with the ingredients being delivered to the factory on a constant basis.

DickBarton

Ingredients are pretty straight forward to 'guess' but the quantities of each would prove problematic. I'm sure when the EU got a bit hoity about ingredient labels, Barrs made a bit of a thing about the secret recipe and stuff and they were up in arms as it meant they would have to reveal some of the ingredients in a more clearly defined label. I think at the same time as this, the bottle got labelled up as being a sparkling flavoured drink – can't recall but I think at some point the label did used to say Made from Girders – I think it was a slogan rather than the actual ingredients though!

jae
    Free Member

irn bru was origionally formulated in a skip of sheet steel off cuts,rusty rivets and indeed a girder thrown in there by some dirty railway radge employee in the clyde ship yards.setting the whole irn bru process in motion.

then…one day it rained acid emulsion after the chernobyl cloud traveled to the ship yard and droped its acid rain load, not only giving the sweaty ship workers their first real shower but making the origional irn bru recipe.

was a genuine act of god and indeed mixed with vodka (glens of course) makes what we alchi scots call "wreck to hoose juice"

Its forged our nation. ya bass.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘IRN BRU’ is closed to new replies.