Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • ipod touch as PDA
  • crewlie

Anyone know if an ipod touch is usable as a PDA. My wife needs to get rid of her filofax, as it's breaking her back carrying it.

Or any thing else anyone would recommended?

thanks

amosridl
    Free Member

I'm sure that a blackberry or something would do the same however I use my iPhone (same as the touch but with a phone) as my PDA and it does everything I need. Email, Tasks, Calendar, Contacts and sync with my desktop. With a couple of smart wee Apps from the store it also lets me share and work with documents and print them too.

samuri
    Free Member

I'd agree. There are so many apps for the ipod touch it'll be able to do anything she wants it to. I'd suggest she has a play with one first though, the keyboard might not be to her taste. if she's used to quickly scribbling things into a book, the ipod might not be quick enough.

amosridl
    Free Member

the keyboard might not be to her taste.

This is very true. I know of several people who just can't get on with them. Personally I think it's great.

crewlie

thanks , yeah it's the keyboard I was worried about. I'll get her to have a play with one.

ChromedOranges
    Free Member

I've been looking at this and I have a Touch. The problem is although you can download some really nice Apps for agendas any alarms will be almost inaudible. Sadly the Touch has a crap speaker. Don't expect to hear it remind you of an upcoming event or meeting, especially if your carrying it in a pocket.

CountZero

My iPhone puts a sodding great blue panel on the Home screen and vibrates to let me know when upcoming dates or appointments are due, such as the two I've had this evening for a meal tonight and a hair appointment tomorrow, and I'll get another a couple of hours before hand tomorrow. My old Filofax never had that facility, funnily enough, and neither my old N95 or XDA Mini were particularly good at alerts. It's particularly good for birthday reminders…

gonefishin
    Free Member

The alerts aren't inaudible but they certainly aren't as loud as a phone would be. I use mine as a PDA and I really like it especially as I sync it via me.com

GrahamS

One trouble point with a Touch is that it is only really useful as a PDA when you can get wifi access – otherwise useful things like email and syncing with online calendars & contacts are unavailable.

doc_blues
    Free Member

use mine as a PDA – sync contacts, email and calender with google – allows more than one calender to sync (eg for me it is work, personal and home calenders). use remeber the milk as a task manager and can access my google documents using another program, pubmed via another app etc – very very useful indeed – yep it needs a wifi connection to be really useful, but even without it its good

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

……and I write stuff on calendars.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘ipod touch as PDA’ is closed to new replies.