Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • iPhone bike integration system
  • dr_death
    Free Member

Dunno whether this belongs here or in chat but I saw this and thought it was quite interesting…. All in one bike computer/gps/phone/iPod. It's currently a patent application by apple so will be ages before/if it actually makes it to market but I think it looks quite interesting. It will apparently include bike to bike communication with nearby riders…. p'raps you'll be able to warn them about idiot drivers?

Linky

Rip
    Free Member

PedalBrain are about to launch the same thing at Interbike. Apple are a bit behind the curve but have probably noticed a patent opportunity rather than product opportunity.

There are a couple of other similar products about to hit the market too, but being a small market (relatively) VC funding is the bottleneck to development.

I'm waiting for PedalBrain to launch before moving over to Quarq powermeter from Ergomo and using the iPhone rather than Garmin. It promises to be an excellent product. Let's just hope it delivers.

PedalBrain

dr_death
    Free Member

Yeah, i found that after I posted the above…

Looks good but I don't much like the subscription idea. Although $12/month isn't a huge amount I suppose. Can't find any info about whether it does heart rate though??

Rip
    Free Member

It will do HR but it would be a bit overkill for that as it's mainly focussed towards power measurement using Quarq or SRM.

aracer
    Free Member

I'd love to know what is so novel and original about this idea that it's patentable. My suspicion is that it's something which could only possibly be patented in the US where the patent office would appear not to bother checking for prior art.

I'm sure the fanbois will love it though.

crikey
    Free Member

The blurb I saw on it was aimed at the idea that Apple will own the patent, then attempt to protect it legally…

The risk is that Apple's wide definition of the controlling device will allow them to challenge developers using non-Apple hardware, which isn't something we want to see. We're all for Apple making a go of this system, but not for them using a patent that's deliberately vague in terms of hardware to try and control the market.

from: http://road.cc/content/news/21092-apple-invent-bike-computer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘iPhone bike integration system’ is closed to new replies.