Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • iPhone bike apps
  • amsterdan
    Free Member

Currently using map my ride but it doesn’t work properly when in the country side can anyone recommend any better apps thanks

Rio

I use Endomondo but since they all use Apple’s location services if one doesn’t work then I don’t suppose the others will. Have you got gps turned off?

flyingmm

Viewranger wins hands down

tortoisenothair
    Free Member

cyclemeter for me.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

…………………….Strava.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@flyinmm – in practice how much do the maps cost ? (sorry being lazy and not doing lots of google research)

flyingmm

@jambalaya, I managed to get a deal after speaking to a guy at viewranger and I think the entire scotland 1:50 was only around £25. They do an awesome deal on the northern national parks from peaks up into scotland for only a few quid at 1:50. 1:25 starts hurting a bit more but you really only need it for short sections around munros etc. Although it is also interesting that sometimes you get more detail regarding say landy tracks on 1:25 to the 1:50 – just depends when they were last updated. Viewranger are constantly upgrading the app from when I first started using it a couple of years ago and you can export gpx to whatever community site you prefer. Love the fact you can work on os map routes online as well. As all the maps are stored on your phone, battery life is amazing – It tracked a 9 hour epic around and over the mamores on one charge and being able to locate yourself on an os map when your map reading skills are as good as mine is priceless. Hope this helps.

will
    Free Member

Cyclemeter & Strava. Although I really only need one.

reedspeed
    Free Member

i use Endomondo,& it is good,just make sure youre batteries 100 % charged as its soon flat thts the trouble ..

jambalaya
    Free Member

@flyinmm – thanks, seems like viewranger would be a useful and worthwhile upgrade to free ap version of endomondo (it’s possible to use endomondo and google maps if you get a bit lost/disorientated, I’ve done that a few times for sure)

jam-bo

just make sure youre batteries 100 % charged as its soon flat

managed 6 hrs with strava on my 2 yr old iphone 4 on sunday. still had 15% left.

GrahamS

it doesn’t work properly when in the country side

What do you mean? Was it failing to find your position, or just not loading up any maps because it couldn’t get a data connection?

Being in the countryside shouldn’t make any odds to finding your GPS position.

So if it is the latter and you were planning to use it for navigation then check out one of the apps with pre-loaded maps.

MotionX GPS is cheap (69p) and lets you pre-load large areas of OpenStreetMap/OpenCycleMap (for free) and navigate via waypoints. It can also display your position in OSGB, rather than lat/long, which is handy when comparing to a paper map.

Viewranger lets you pre-load Ordnance Survey maps (as flyingmm says) – but they cost money.

will
    Free Member

For free OS maps I use Outside. Seems to work quite well, if a little slow.

GrahamS

For free OS maps I use Outside. Seems to work quite well, if a little slow.

Surely that doesn’t have 1:50 to 1:25 maps for free? Looks like it is just street level OS OpenData stuff on the App Store pictures.

amsterdan
    Free Member

Graham s it doesn’t record the data mainly speed and distance accurately and misses parts of my rides off the map

chiefgrooveguru

The British Red Cross first aid app (and it’s free) is a good one for when things don’t go to plan…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Motion X for me too. Much nicer to use than Map My Ride

GrahamS

Graham s it doesn’t record the data mainly speed and distance accurately and misses parts of my rides off the map

Where do you keep it while you ride? My experience is

Bars = accurate trace
    Top of Camelbak = more or less accurate trace
    Pocket or bottom of Camelbak = bits missing

Rickos
    Free Member

RMaps on Android has OS Maps for free too. Not sure what scale though.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘iPhone bike apps’ is closed to new replies.