Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • iPhone arrives today…apps recommendations?
  • Ripley
    Free Member

M_F – The setup for the Remote Record isn't sent through the phone line – and it takes up to 30mins for it to appear in the Planner list on the Sky+ box. (From the Sky Remote Record small print: "Recording requests must be made at least 30 minutes before start of programme".)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

(From the Sky Remote Record small print: "Recording requests must be made at least 30 minutes before start of programme".)

My wife checked about an hour after I sent the request. It turns out that 'Murder, She Wrote' is recording now. So it did work 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Course not mate, who does..

Err, busted 🙂 I must admit I watch more at the moment than I have done in the past with the Mini-Mastiles in the house. Hoping to start running/riding in earnest as soon as the damn snow goes away – and I need to 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yep, just about to get moving for the Bath Half in Spring…it'll be nice to start beating the tarmac again. PB's to be had this year… 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am thinking about trying to get a place in the Great North Run again this year so I have a focus.

organic355
    Free Member

1) Hot water bottle
    When the temperature falls below a certain level the phone automatically goes into pocket radiator mode, emitting a comforting warmth.
    2) iPoohsticks
    The sole flaw in the delightful game devised by AA Milne in Winnie-the-Pooh is that it can only be played by people with access to a river. iPoohsticks would change this, offering multiplayer stick racing wherever you are.
    3) Charity mugger evasion
    A discreet alarm sounds when you come within 50 yards of a "chugger" hot spot, giving you time choose an alternate route and avoid paying £8 a month to Oxfam because an attractive university student smiled at you.
    4) Fresh bread
    Apps that locate specific shops are ten-a-penny, but what's the use of
    getting directions to the nearest supermarket when it has run out of the ingredients you want? An app that synched with a shop's delivery schedule – alerting customers when there was fresh bread or a shortage of risotto rice – would be very welcome.
    5) Eggs Benedict
    Similar to the fresh bread app, but for breaking open restaurant menus rather than stock lists. There would be huge demand for an app that offered a "search by dish" feature, for those times when only eggs, ham and hollandaise sauce will do.
    6) Jail time
    Provides instant sentencing guidelines for the most common offences, so would-be criminals can make informed choices.
    7) iShame
    Just humiliated yourself in public? Enter the anecdote and you will be sent a slightly more embarrassing story supplied by another user. In return, your shameful moment will be used to diminish the humiliation of lesser offenders.
    8) Bet matcher
    Friends unwilling to take you up on an exotic wager? Just type in the terms and odds of the bet and invite other app users to put up the money.
    9) False number
    It happens to everyone – you take the other person's number to avoid giving out yours but then they ask for a missed call. Just type in their digits and the app rings them from a false but plausible number.
    10) Anecdote shortener
    You have got an entertaining story but are struggling to cut it down to tweet or SMS length without losing the sense. This app does it for you, through a combination of text speak, daring acronyms and ruthless editing.
    11) Wire friends
    Uses the iPhone's GPS function to find people in the local area who are are currently working their way through the same series of The Wire as you. Allows fans to share their passion without fear of coming across as a "newbie".
    12) iCork
    Place the phone above a newly-opened bottle of wine and the app detects whether it is corked. The same technology could also alert people if they have bad breath in the morning
    13) Leaf identifier
    Embarrassed by your ignorance of the natural world? Just take a photo of a leaf with your phone camera while out in the countryside, and the app will run the image against its flora database to identify the tree that it fell from.
    14) 'Pull a sickie' voice converter
    Similar to the T-Pain Auto-Tune app, except it distorts your voice to mimic the frailty of a genuine flu sufferer. Must work "live" during phone calls.
    15) Donor card
    A free app that expresses the phone owner's consent to have their organs given to other people after death.
    16) Virtual tape measure
    Move the iPhone between two points and the app tells you the distance between them. This GPS feature already exists on some apps but is unreliable over short distances, so is useless for measuring furniture.
    17) Sunglasses
    Hold the phone like a visor in front of your face, eyes facing the screen. The app dims whatever the camera records, allowing you to enjoy bright days, sunsets and eclipses without damaging your eyes. The same technique could also transform the phone into a pair of 3D glasses.
    18) Fake apps
    Don't have the time to keep track of the latest popular apps, let alone download and use them? The fake apps app is just a replica of the iPhone menu page, regularly updated with the icons of the coolest new software. "Trying to impress your friends? There's an app for that."
    19) Placebo fan
    Cool down on the train with an app that shows footage of hand-held electric fan. Obviously no ventilation is produced, but the placebo effect should limit sweating until you reach somewhere with air conditioning.
    20) It
    A worldwide version of the playground game "It" – or tag as it is known in the US – using the iPhone's GPS capabilities could be tremendous fun. A fraction of people who subscribe would be chosen as "it" and must use their phone to track down and tag other players

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

All set up, synced and activated. How easy was that. My first post on STW! Cheers guys.

DaddyPig
    Free Member

talking carl

muggomagic

DaddyPig – Member
    talking carl

of all the apps, that is the one you recommend?

DaddyPig
    Free Member

and all of the above

my four year old is convinced carl will slip up one day and fluff his lines

clubber
    Free Member

Silly DaddyPig, Oink! 😉

muggomagic

my four year old is convinced carl will slip up one day and fluff his lines

so long as she doesn't get to hear what carl says about H

DaddyPig
    Free Member

he only says rude things about mrs breasts when daddypig has been on the Stella

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Vodafone mms settings for iPhone….anyone? 😕

GrahamS

Dunno about Vodafone, but O2 automatically send you a Welcome MMS once it is set up.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I'm thinking Vodafone possibly not supporting mms at the moment? **** me though, some piece of kit!

Taff
    Free Member

Anyone recommend a decent app for biking? Looked at a few but not sure which would be best

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, was wondering about that myself…? Anyone ❓

shoei
    Free Member

BBC iplayer link
    AroundMe
    Flickr
    Last.FM
    Eurosport
    Tioti TV+ (lot better than the Sky+ app)
    thetrainline
    Wyse PocketCloud

Games:
    AirportMania
    FlightControl (kiss goodbye to doing any work with these two)
    Harbour Master
    PaperToss
    Scramble 2
    Geared

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

shot gun.

its what the iphone was made for.

thread closed.

sniff
    Free Member

acrossair browser – free augmented reality app. Simply the best app available. Lets you view pubs, gigs, tweets, wikis, anything from Google etc in 3d.

This is what the 3GS was built for.

richmars

Not really an app, but this looks fun, controlled by iphone.

CountZero

Weatherpro, best weather app going, has brilliant satellite and radar maps of the UK, and is pretty accurate,
    Outdoor, which gives you genuine OS maps installed on the phone, in regions, with lifetime upgrades. You can import and export GXP routes from it, and you get a UK base map as well. I've got the Southwest region which goes south from Tewksbury to Cornwall, west to Llandogo, so you get the Forest of Dean, and East to Newbury way, for £24.99.
    Ereader/Stanza/Kindle, really good ebook apps, eBay, Amazon, Facebook, Theodelite, Paypal. These are all useful apps to have, but getting OS mapping is brilliant.
    [edit]if you get Outdoor, you really need to download it via iTunes, then sync your phone, 'cos it's about 650Mb per region, and it takes ages to download, then some time to install on the phone. They recommend this for any really large apps, like satnav ones with native rather than cloud mapping.[/edit]

CountZero

Ok, here's a few more I use a lot:
    Red Laser, for reading bar codes then getting the cheapest prices online. Saved me nearly 40% of the price of two books at Christmas.
    Flixster, for movies and showtimes at all your local cinemas
    Orange Wednesday, which will work on your phone. I have it on my O2 phone, I just put in the number of a cheap PAYG Orange sim I bought for that purpose in a spare phone. Easy peasy.
    Star Walk, which is just beautiful if you have even the slightest interest in astronomy.
    Tune.it iCarRadio, which gives you streaming digital radio, like 6Music. This one works best when you lose 3G signal and go onto Edge, most of the other radio apps can't buffer as well.
    Wordbook, a really good dictionary
    Wikipanion, much better than Wiki's own app
    Direct.gov Travel News, which is what it says, and is a good addition to your own satnav.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not really an app, but this looks fun, controlled by iphone.

Oh bejeezus, I want one of those!!!!!!!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

iFrisbee: you start it up, and then frisbee your iPhone as hard as you can.

It's brilliant, the built-in accelerometers can actually detect how fast the phone is spinning, its velocity and elevation, and uses the data to calculate how far you managed to frisbee your phone. Also, the video camera records 'in-flight' footage.

In theory, you can then upload the results to a social networking site to compare your best throws with those of your friends, and to share videos.

CountZero

A really good exponent of iFrisbee could probably catch Dorset_knob, (appropriate name), right across the bridge of the nose, allowing great footage of a bloodspattered screaming muppet to be uploaded to a social networking site. I'll wait until I upgrade mine then I've got a spare to use as a weapon.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

That's not very nice!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Favourite game: Space Invaders Infinity Gene.

Most useful app: Co Pilot.

Most used app: Oxford Concise & Thesaurus.

CountZero

I had a migrain, I wasn't feeling very nice.
    Copilot live is very good, and fantastic value, but if you have satnav in the car not so much use, unless you might use another car. I don't really do games, as such, but I've got Space Invaders and Pacman for odd occasions. Mostly I read books on mine when I'm in a cafe or got some spare time.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘iPhone arrives today…apps recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.