Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • iPhone 3GS now, or wait for 4G whenever.
  • WipeOut
    Free Member

As above, iPhone 3GS now, or wait for 4G.

Whenever – who know when it will be released?
    Whatever – who know what functionality it will have?
    How much – who knows how much more it will cost?

There are lots of rumours of this summer.

Any thoughts.

woody74

I would wait, thats what I am doing as it is bound to be out this summer. 3GS is just too old against the competition. It may be late summer but it must be renewed soon.

WipeOut
    Free Member

I reckon if I buy a 3gs, next week they'll announce 4g. If I wait for 4g, it will be next summer? 😕

Jamie
    Free Member

Buy a 3GS now and sell it when the 4G comes out.

footflaps

4G handsets will only become widely available when 4G networks roll out – which isn't anytime soon (with possible the exception of the USA). I'd say a 4G (LTE) iPhone is over a year away.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

some say it be next april, when 4g will be rolled out

IA

When folk say 4G iphone, they mean fourth-generation *iphone* , not "4G" network.

CountZero

There's a fundamental mixing up of nomenclature here. 4G networking is totally different to the 4G iPhone. The 4G iPhone will be announced at WWDC which is almost certainly at the end of June, beginning of July, as it was last year, and will be available shortly after. Apart from the new OS4, it will quite possibly use the A4 processor that the iPad uses, and will most likely go up to 64Gb; capacity doubles every year, and Toshiba, who make the NAND Flash chips that the iPhone, Touch and iPad use, announced 64Gb chips back in January. The Touch uses two, so will go up to 128Gb. There's some evidence that Luxeon LED flash modules will be included, the camera will go up to 5Mp, and it's possible the screen will also double in resolution and increase in size slightly. Apple always release new products on a yearly basis, and the iPhone/Touch cycle is June/July, so there's not long to wait. My contract ends next month, so I'll be getting the 4G as a nice upgrade from my eighteen month old 3G. Can't wait, loads more room for books, music and OS maps for Memory Map, or Viewranger if it comes out soon.

WipeOut
    Free Member

Hi guys, I'm not talking 4g network here, 4th generation iPhone.

CountZero, do you work for Apple or something, otherwise people may think you have a crystal ball?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

CountZero, do you work for Apple or something, otherwise people may think you have a crystal ball?

Nope, he's just applying common sense to how Apple release their products and upgrades…he's about right.

And now for my customary….

£%*$&$^)*& Apple users. Always *&%)*&%&)* going on about their *&%*&%)* products. I'm (^%^&*% sick of it.

CountZero

…and I follow a lot of Apple-centric and tech feeds, like slash dot apple, Macrumors, cnet, iLounge, etc. But as deadly sez, most is common sense based on the way Moores Law works, and Apple's known release programmes for various products. As an aside, I believe that Apple will be selling a Dock mounting card reader that will allow files to be copied to and from iPhones and iPads. I've got one on order from a different source so I can copy photos and stuff without having to get the laptop out. Airsharing's still faster than Bluetooth, which reminds me, there will be bluetooth keyboards available for the iPhone and iPad too, for anyone who wants to do a lot of document work.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

MM so basic answers now as this is FAR too indepth! Is it worth waiting for the 4th gen i phone or is 3GS still good? Contract on cr**y old phone runs out on 14th May do I wait until 4G is released mid summer? As I can get 3GS without paying any fee for the actual phone, I can just sign up to the monthly contract.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

4G iphone will undoubtedly be over £1000 RRP, I doubt you'd get if for free on your current contract! 3GS sounds good if you don't need the things cz reckons you'll get, and you can upgrade it to the new OS.

GrahamS

Depends how much having the latest tech matters to you and how you will feel when a slightly shinier version appears in July really.

The 3GS will get the same operating system as the new 4(th)G iPhones but as CountZero suggests there will be some hardware differences, like a better camera, more space and probably a bit faster.

MrsGrahamS is still using a 3G iPhone and it is fine but won't get all of the new features when we upgrade the operating system.

I'm pretty happy with my 3GS and I won't be looking to upgrade just yet.

GrahamS

4G iphone will undoubtedly be over £1000 RRP

??? Surely not?

How are you figuring that?

Jamie
    Free Member

4G iphone will undoubtedly be over £1000 RRP

They will have needed to have squeezed an i7 processor in it for that price.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Think I may just get a 3GS then, I didn't expect to get the 4G free (it's not an upgrade it's a work deal thing) but I'm not bothered about having 64G or whatever. Thinking about it, don't think a better camera will bother me either. Oh well thanks answered that question simply!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, 3GS for me too…only got it in January. Mind you, it's purely a fashion accessory for me. I only got one because I thought I had to to be with the in crowd and after all Apple persuaded me I needed one. I'm not a mega heavy user so the extra memory won't really matter to me.

That said, I may well take the hit for the upgrade and then sell the 3GS on eBay to recoup….if I feel that the peer pressure is too much to bear.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I went through this before; this si from play.com today

Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB / Sim Free / Unlocked / Touch Screen Mobile Phone (Black)

Customer rating on Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB / Sim Free / Unlocked / Touch Screen Mobile Phone (Black): 4.5 out of 5 stars ( 3 customer ratings )
    £799.99 Free Delivery

RRP: £899.99 | You save: £100.00 (11%)

So it's getting subsidised massively on contracts. I could be wrong though, maybe if you're lucky it'll be a penny under a grand 😮

Jamie
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Yeah, 3GS for me too…only got it in January. Mind you, it's purely a fashion accessory for me. I only got one because I thought I had to to be with the in crowd and after all Apple persuaded me I needed one. I'm not a mega heavy user so the extra memory won't really matter to me.

That said, I may well take the hit for the upgrade and then sell the 3GS on eBay to recoup….if I feel that the peer pressure is too much to bear.

Careful Mr Darcy, you may end up brainwashing yourself.

GrahamS

Ah right. Yes we have been through this. That RRP is entirely aspirational, as is the play.com price. The street price for a 32GB 3GS is more like £540 (Orange PAYG) to £550 (O2 PAYG), both with unlimited data for a year.

So yeah I guess the RRP may creep up near £1000 but they won't actually sell many at that price.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

LMAO @ Deadly Darcy the one person who harps on about F***** Apple users rant rant rant .. actually HAS an i-phone! so switch off from others going on about it!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You 'avin a go MC?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

No just chuckling after all your ranting about i phones it turns out you have one! I'd understand if you didn't have one! But not having a go at all.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My rant is more directed at those who rant…and is not really a rant at all. Now, come on over 'ere if you fink yer 'ard enough, you fangurl! 🙂

mafiafish
    Free Member

Moores law. lolz

vrapan
    Free Member

Wait at least until June when Apple has announced/released previous iPhones. I think the release of the new iPhone will coincide with the release of the iPhone OS 4 and since they have announced this is happening in the summer then it just makes sense.

The 3GS is a bit weak hardware wise but if you can deal with the limitations (smallish capacity, lack of front camera, not that great back camera) then I'd go for it as most of the benefits will come from the iPhone OS 4 which you will be able to load on it anyway.

I am waiting only cause I have the 3G and don't think it is worth the jump to 3GS.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Vrapan, so when you say the "hardware" is a bit weak? what are you referring to? I imagine I want a phone, the i-pod function (16g is ample for me) and use the internet probably won't get really techy using it as GPS and all those other complicated things. guessing it sounds to me as if the 3GS will be fine. Oh and I have a digital camera for nice pics.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

It's weak compared to other phones on the market

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

ooOOoo hey? do you mean i-phone is weak compared to say HTC or others like that? What else would you recommend I look at then? But it will depend what I can get a deal on!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 3GS now, or wait for 4G whenever.’ is closed to new replies.