• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • iPad update
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

Well I was given wrong information by Currys and they can not get me an iPad 3. That was probably a blessing in disguise, as to be honest my fiancee does not really need the hi res screen or additional computing power. Tescos currently have £80 off iPad2s, and so I bought her a £329 16G wifi only one.

However, she has just sent a text to say she wants the 3G. No idea if tescos have them, and I’ll be heading back on Wednesday or Thursday to see. I had thought that you could use a Blackberry for the internet connection but it seems that you may need to be quite a computer whizz to do this?

Just thought people may be interested, who are Apple geeks 🙂

chojin
    Free Member

I can’t see the point of the 3G one really, not since most people nowadays carry a smartphone capable of wifi tethering…

simonralli2
    Free Member

That is the question. The various web pages I have seen have said that you can not tether an Ipad to a Blackberry. Is this possible? Anyone done it?

andydicko
    Free Member

You need a Smartphone capable of providing a Wifi tether, i.e. iPhone or an Android phone.

wallop

I bought a 3gig sim card and a sim card cutter from Amazon. Total cost £16 for 3 months portable internets. Woot!

molgrips
    Free Member

You can also get wifi hotspot devices from 3 and others – a little thing like a mouse, £15/mo or whatever. I suppose you’d have to pay similar for your iPad 3g, wouldn’t you? You could leave the thingy in your bag and it would be like having the 3g model.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Can I put this out there. BlackBerry playbook. I was going to get an ipad but got one of these instead and I am glad I did. It’s a brilliant thing to use

lodious
    Free Member

The disadvantage with tethering is the both dongle / mobile phone hotspots have (IME) pretty poor battery life, and it’s another lump to carry around. My HTC Sensation will only do a couple of hours w/wifi hotspot enabled, then you loose both phone and ipad. It’s OK if your using it at home or office, but when mobile, I much prefer built in 3G. I guess it depends on how you use it, but I still see a strong argument for built in 3G.

glenh
    Free Member

That is the question. The various web pages I have seen have said that you can not tether an ipad to a Blackberry. Is this possible? Anyone done it?

No idea about a blackberry, but on my android phone I just switch on tethering via wifi, or bluetooth (bluetooth preferred as it’s lower power) and connect the ipad to the relevant network. Simples.

Not sure why it wouldn’t work with a blackberry, if blackberrys can tether that is….

simonralli2
    Free Member

Cheers for all the advice.

The other thing is that it will be used in São Paulo where maybe there is less wifi when out and about but that is changing. I may well change it for a 3G on Wednesday as my fiancee thinks that that is the one she wants.

She had her heart set on an iPad so other models were not really an option and at least I got a decent discount.

z1ppy

Tescos currently have £80 off iPad2s, and so I bought her a £329 16G wifi only one

hate to burst your bubble, but aint that the same price as the Apple store then?

If you bought it from John Lewis at least you’d get a (free) 2 year warranty for the same price, admittedly it may not be the easiest to claim on it, based in São Paulo

The only ‘deals’ on apple products you tend to actually get, are on their refurbished kit, or maybe at duty free stores (& some discount deals for student/teachers)

geoffj

Another option is a mifi dongle like this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-UNLOCKED-3G-E5830-MIFI-HUAWEI-WIFI-MOBILE-BROADBAND-WIRELESS-USB-DONGLE-/200697437600?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item2eba7fdda0

Chuck a 3g data sim in it and use it as a mobile hotspot for the iPad and laptop etc.

Maybe cheaper and more flexible option than buying the 3G ipad, but would mean something else to charge and carry.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Best price I have seen for basic iPad 2 is about £300

DezB
    Free Member

Argos outlet on Ebay has good prices.
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Argos-Outlet__?_nkw=IPAD&LH_TitleDesc=1&gobutton=

iPad2 16gb 3G – £379
    iPad1 WI-FI AND 3G 64GB – £329

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘iPad update’ is closed to new replies.