Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • iPad question
  • Waderider
    Free Member

My mother in law has just asked me a question regarding her iPad. I know nothing technical about Apple products, hopefully someone here can help.

It’s the vanilla model without 3G/4G. The issue however is that it is not displaying available wireless networks in the vicinity. All you get is an option to input a bssid and security key.

Is this correct? Feature or flaw? App required?

Pretty poor in my view, on my travels with my netbook and android phone I like leaping on and off available networks.

grum
    Free Member

Sounds like a fault to me. Mine just came up with a lists of networks and asked me if I wanted to connect.

flange
    Free Member

Have a search on das internerd, I had a similar problem with my 3GS when I first bought it. Can’t remember how I fixed it, but it was something to do with the hub and the same IP address being used by the ipad and another pc. Or something like that

Waderider
    Free Member

Not the issue flange mentions (thanks). Searched the net before I came here, and only found some frankly unbelievable tech news stories from last year that Apple removed the ability to show available wireless networks on the device. I’m asking here for confirmation/correction.

Why would you buy one of these? (please Apple users, don’t let that comment put you off advising me!)

timmys

Either there’s something wrong with it or the problem exists with the user, it absolutely will display a list of available networks. Settings > WiFi and there should be a list under “Choose a Network” (assuming it’s not in Airplane Mode and WiFi is turned on in that same WiFi page) . If that’s not working I’d suggest doing a Software Restore (no data/settings will be lost assuming it’s been backed up to iTunes).

EDIT; http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/assistant/wifi/

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

It’ll only display a list of available networks if their SSIDs are visible- any with hidden SSIDs will not appear in the list.

Waderider
    Free Member

Thanks guys, the solution has been found. The antenna is crap. Although a netbook next to it can pick up a handful off available networks, the ipad can’t. Until it is held up next to the window 🙄 Useful.

grum
    Free Member

I found mine has slightly worse wifi reception than my laptop but nowhere near as dramatic a difference as you describe. How far away is the router?

Waderider
    Free Member

The aerial may be sufficient in most use, although it is inferior to an Eeepc 1000H and an Acer Aspire One. Problem was she wanted to know how to connect to networks for an up and coming hotel trip away from our wireless router, which it connects to no problem. But it wouldn’t display any of the handful of other wireless networks that show up on a netbook. It is worth noting these are neighbours networks, so are on the other side of walls etc.

rs
    Free Member

Until it is held up next to the window

are you stealing next doors wifi? 😉

rs
    Free Member

lol, that’s a yes then.

Waderider
    Free Member

No, just testing. Got aircrackng on Slitaz for hacking wireless networks, you don’t use an iPad for anything techy…… 😈

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘iPad question’ is closed to new replies.