Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • iPad camera dock limitations.
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Because ther are bound to be some, I am wondering what the limitations are for the Apple camera / SD card adapter are for an iPad 2?

Can I watch a film off the SD card for instance?
    Can I transfer files other than pictures from and to the SD card?

Ta.

leffeboy

Oh well, until someone else with an iPad2 pops up I can tell you that on the original iPad you can only copy pictures/videos from the SD card. Not any other sort of file. You also have to copy the video to the iPad before you can watch it.

Things may have changed but I doubt it 🙁

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Thought as much. Ta

GrahamS

According to this article you can watch video: http://www.macworld.com/article/1150850/ipadcameraconnectorsurprises.html

Makes sense as cameras shoot video as well as photos.

Just got a Camera Connection Kit today so I’ll try it out some time this week and report back.

leffeboy

Yep, you can watch video but you have to copy it across first. From the article: “You must import a video to watch it—you can’t watch it from the SD card”. But the idea of storing the videos on the SD card is a good one – going to steal that 🙂

GrahamS

Why faff about with SD cards anyway?
    I just copy/stream any videos I want directly from my media server over wifi.

CountZero
    jockhaggis
    Free Member

Why faff about with SD cards anyway?
    I just copy/stream any videos I want directly from my media server over wifi.

I guess it’s for when you don’t have access to wifi. Like being on holiday or in the car with the kids.

DrP

Now, if anyone can tell me a hassle free way of getting video BACK from the iPad to my pc, that would be dandy, ta!

DrP

trail_rat
    Free Member

Thats why i went for 64gb tbh jockhaggis

Never felt the need to change media on the move. I innitially thought i would how ev with64gb i can get about 50 odd tv episodes and 20 odd films

GrahamS

Thats why i went for 64gb tbh jockhaggis

Likewise. I’ve got 3 series of Peppa Pig, 2 of Raa Raa the Noisy Lion on my phone and iPad. Only amount to a few gb.

DrP

I tell you the way forward….
    Step 1 – DVD-decrypter – rip DVD image to your HD..
    Step 2 – Nero 7 DVD-recode – convert said DVD (even if it’s separate episodes) to format that can be transferred to iPad…

Hence, mine is now full of Numberjacks, Chuggington, and Bob the Builder….

DrP

trail_rat
    Free Member

i checked this morning in usage i have 120 video files , 1000 songs and about 2000 photos + 6Gb to spare !

there is no need to rip at max res to play on the ipad quite happy to watch a 300meg rip of a movie on my ipad as the screen isnt that brilliant and neither are my eyes – but even at that its far superior in both choice and resolution to those crap boxes on the back of airline seats !

GrahamS

I tell you the way forward….
    Step 1 – DVD-decrypter – rip DVD image to your HD..
    Step 2 – Nero 7 DVD-recode – convert said DVD (even if it’s separate episodes) to format that can be transferred to iPad…

Or more controversially, just get them from Bit Torrent 😀
    (obviously only for videos that you already own DVDs for!)

AcePlayer and others can play pretty much any video without having to convert them to any special “iPad format”.

ipad as the screen isnt that brilliant

New one is better than Full 1080 HD!

DrP

I use CinX-player – £2.50 well spent IMO.

The trouble with downloading BTs is that the quality can be questionable, and I doubt I’m likely to find “Bob the Builder – skyscrapers and carparks” anytime soon.
    Plus, I dread to think what searching for “chuggington” would bring up….

DrP

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats all very good graham but since CHL has specifically said ipad 2 😉

GrahamS

I doubt I’m likely to find “Bob the Builder – skyscrapers and carparks” anytime soon.

You’d be surprised. I got Peppa and Raa Raa off torrents.
    Quality is perfect on both.

thats all very good graham but since CHL has specifically said ipad 2

True, but even on the 2 the res is close to 720 HD (the iPad 2 is 768×1024, 720HD is 720×1280) and don’t forget that it can play back 1080p via an HDMI cable (and Apple Digital AV Adapter natch), so it can be useful having the full res version anyway (if you have the space).

coolhandluke
    Free Member

UPDATE

I bought a card reader off Amazon or £4.99 delivered, £20 less than the official Apple version and downloaded Handbrake and a plugin called DVD43 to my PC.

I just ripped my Alien DVD onto an SD card and wizzed it over to my IPad.

Result. Not sure if it’s legal but it is my DVD and I not see quite why I shouldn’t be able to choose what I watch it on.

It ok a while to rip a DVD though, overnight task in future.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘iPad camera dock limitations.’ is closed to new replies.