Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • IP Address
  • iDave
    Free Member

OK, so my stalking thing has gone a bit out of hand. I have the IP address that’s being used to spread the hate. I’ve looked at it on an IP tracer thing. How accurate are these? Before asking plod to get onto it, what’s the best way to get a really accurate idea of the location of the nutter?

Drac

IP Address will only go as far as their provider, now if they have a fixed IP it makes them easier to track. If not then the ISP will have to see which client has connected using that IP at a certain time.

jota180
    Free Member

You’re only seeing the gateway, not the end user

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

None at all, il Plod will, at a local level, have no idea what to do with it at all, and most likely unless someone’s been murdered, just park it in the in-tray marked ‘bin’.

Unless you can prove anything crime has been commited, and that you have evidence to that effect, then expect no response at a local level.

At a national level, you will expect the police high tech e-crime department to take it on, by requesting logs from the ISP in question, once they can prove irrefutably that the postings or harassment came from it, and not hidden behind a proxy.

Because of proxying, you’re chances are next to nil.

I would rather look at a social element of the haressment and see if evidence is given away along the lines of ‘I did this, at this time, from here’ most usually by way of a tweet, post on a forum or a picture.

Anything else is just subjective heresay.

Trust me on this.

AdamW
    Free Member

Depends, doesn’t it? My personal ISP gives me a fixed IP (no, didn’t ask, it is the way it works, and an IPv6 too!) so if I was stalking iDave then it could be traced back directly to my account.

The ISP will have a mapping of who had what address at what time. Gets more difficult if it is a large business or university though.

iDave
    Free Member

OK cheers, plod are getting involved as there has been fraud as well as the online stalky stuff.

retro83
    Free Member

IP address from an email? If so might be worth posting the headers somebody might be able to pull some useful info out of it – also some mail providers will respond to reports of abuse.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Being at wioork, i can’t confirm this but a while ago i was looking into hiding my IP address (to allow streaming of footy games live). I looked into this and found that my IP address matched very closely to my physical address using one of these
    http://www.ip-adress.com/
    http://www.liveipmap.com/
    http://geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm
    Then, using appropriate IP address hiding, I could relocate to another country, so bypassing any restrictions on UK IP addresses. It’s not difficult to do, the address may or may not be spoofed by the user. Also, drac’s right, it depends on how much info the ISP is releasing. try one and see what you get, you might at least be in the right street, which might give an indication of who it is 9sorry, didn’t read any previous thread)

iDave
    Free Member

Not from an email. They’re signing me up to dozens of newsletters, mailing lists, gay pron sites, loan companies etc. One of them gave me the IP address used.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

That will make it more interesting. Anything that you have, must be ‘snapshotted’ else it will not be admissible as evidence (such as a PDF).

It will require a timestamp, the FULL details of the site/logs/whathaveyou and then you’ll find that your local plod station will end up phoning their experts in the PICu department in their area as they won’t have any facility to start an investigation.

Expect it to take ages, be very frustrating and likely to not end up in a conviction, as most convictions require watertight evidence, and the process of gathering it for online crime is fraught with holes that defence lawyers relish.

You’ve done the right thing however, just pass it over to them and let the plodnerds (in PICu, usually people just like you and I who’ve ended up becoming plod in order to gain their particular skillsets…)

phinbob

Well, if the IP address resolves to a UK ISP then you can supply the information to the police or report it to the abuse team at the ISP. They will know who was assigned an ISP at any given time.

If it’s comming via an anonimisaiton proxy then I’m not so sure, but if they are UK based they may have to keep records by law, at the leaset you can probably report it to them and they may be able to block the end user based on times, which sites the hate was poset on or mailed to.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

To be honest iDave, there’s likely no crime there to be found.

If they were buying stuff on your CC then they’ll be interested.

If they’ve been posting stuff ‘as you’ online that isn’t true (slander) then they will be interested.

If it’s just as you say, they (and I) will, unfortunately, just suggest getting a new online identity and email addresses.

Cougar

If you have their IP, you know their ISP.

If you know their ISP, ISPs take a dim view of abuse.

iDave
    Free Member

they have applied for multiple loans in my name, using my ex wifes address. that’s why plod were interested

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Actually Phinbob is bang on – report it to the ISP whom has a responsibility legally to do this sort of thing.

They will put in place appropriate procedures to reduce this, usually by warning the person involved, with further ramifications if it does not cease.

If you get no joy from that ISP, try your own ISP and ask them to intervene, and if you get no joy there, go to the Ombudsman (OFTEL).

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

That’s all you need to say iDave. If you need more help, email me offline, depending on your location, I could point you to the right team.

iDave
    Free Member

Been able to extract some email headers from last year from the person I think it is. Anyone know what to do with them?

Police on it too, 5 credit card applications today alone!!

donsimon
    Free Member

Can you think of anyone that you might have pissed off? 😕
    That sounds like a real shitter, hope it all gets sorted.

iDave
    Free Member

I ‘know’ who it is, only one candidate, just need proof. Also they’re a bit fragile, so plod involvement may push them over the edge. Pretty shite situation.

donsimon
    Free Member

If they’re fragile, I hope it comes out good for everyone. 🙁

Garry_Lager

Pish situation that Dave, hope it goes away.
    I’ve had similar at a lower level – also new who it was and they were also a bit wobbly. These type of people are usually too erratic to keep harrassment up, so fingers crossed they will snap out of it.

konabunny
    Free Member

If they’ve been posting stuff ‘as you’ online that isn’t true (slander) then they will be interested.

Defamation is a civil matter in which the police have no interest. Defamation online is libel, not slander.

iDave
    Free Member

it’s the credit applications in my name that the police see most interested in, not that interested in the endless harassment online and via the mobile

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’d report it as stalking as well as the fraud

tweet ACCGarySherwen he’s GMP but is big on stalking

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘IP Address’ is closed to new replies.