Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Internet usage question
  • wwaswas

what router do you have muddy dwarf? Have you looked on the setup to see what traffic monitoring stuff it has built in?

even getting a list of copnnected devices woudl tell you whether there was anything up

richmars

I second using OpenDNS. It logs every site visited, plus you can block what you want. May be hard to set up if you're not into computers but worth the effect (esp. if you don't have a fixed IP address).

Xan
    Free Member

Download something like this as a start and monitor your usage.

http://wareseeker.com/free-internet-usage-counter/

stumpyjon

I would also consider the possibility that BT have got it wrong. Trouble is the only way you'll know that is to completely unplug the router for a month. Still an option of last resort.

stumpy01

I'm not sure how much of a faff it really is to switch off your router, GrahamS. Particularly if the OP is currently having issues of people hijacking it.

Do you leave your laptop on all the time? If not, then when you turn it on, take 10secs to turn your router on at the same time. It'll be up & running faster than your laptop is, so not sure how it's a major faff; it's just flicking a switch.

Ah, unless you can't access your router as it's actually in your neighbours house!? 😉

GrahamS

Do you leave your laptop on all the time? If not, then when you turn it on, take 10secs to turn your router on at the same time.

Well yes, our iPhones are on all the time and connected to the wi-fi.

Granted the netbook does take around ten seconds to start, but it's downstairs, next to the couch, as is the Wii, whereas the router is upstairs in the study (so it can be wired to the main desktop and the printer).

Not a major hassle, but running upstairs whenever I want to browse the web would kind of remove the convenience factor.

Also I suspect if you keep turning off the modem then it might screw up the speed negotiation. I'm sitting at a solid 8Mbps and I'd like to stay that way.

Ah, unless you can't access your router as it's actually in your neighbours house!?

My neighbour is in his 80s. I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what an internet is.

I can sometimes see the pub's wi-fi from the house, when the wind is blowing the right way, but I'm happy enough to use my own connection.

(Though I have absolutely no qualms about using whatever open wi-fi I find when I'm out and about).

stumpy01

Furry Muff.

I feel somewhat in the dark ages now, what with having a laptop & a desktop rather than an iphone and a netbook that are permanently ready to go.
    I can see how having it on all the time would be more convenient in the situation you describe above.

(fair enough, in case you were wondering….)

Dougal
    Free Member

WPA is pretty easy to crack when you have a non-slim PS3 lying around.

Nothing is sacred.

GrahamS

Details Dougal?

cranberry
    Free Member

MuddyDwarf – if you are still having problems, it would be good for you to post up the following:

Model of your router
    No. and types of devices connected to it
    What anti-virus software you are using
    What firewall you are using

Knowing these will take some of the guess-work out of helping you.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

OK.

Router – BT home hub 2
    Devices – one laptop
    Anti-virus software – AVG free (can't afford to pay)
    Firewall – windows and AVG

I have a total broadband download to monitor the usage from the laptop. Unfortunately we reset-to-default the router yesterday before altering all the passwords so any data stored about any other devices logging on has been deleted.

How do i alter the MAC address?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Also, the BT home hub router doesn't flash when in use so i can't tell whether or not someone is using it.

Currently unplugging the router from the phoneline when not in use, think i'm going to revert back to a hardwire connection for a week or so as well.

cranberry
    Free Member

Just found this quote about your hub….

By the way, you haven't enabled FON have you? In that case you will get others using your hub legally because you have given them permission by using FON.

Have you enabled FON?

Info on FON

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Internet usage question’ is closed to new replies.