Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Internet music experts
  • timc
    Free Member

john_drummer – Member
    no you need talent, a good song, possibly most important of all, a market for that song, and also some cash to pay to advertise it.

Face it, it could be Bohemian Rhapsody*, but if you don’t spend any money on advertising, or god forbid, any time & effort slogging up & down the motorways in the back of a knackered old transit, playing it night after night after night, nobody’s going to know about it, are they?

ofcourse, one thing you missed out, radio plays, thats what really sells records to the mainstream

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Im new but I feel like putting my oar in,
    You dont need to download illegally. Ever heard of Spotify? £5 a month for unlimited music. Bargain!

Waderider
    Free Member

timc is Feargal Sharkey and I claim my lifetime supply of free music.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    john_drummer
    Free Member

I was including the radio plays in the “advertising and marketing” budget 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

ofcourse, one thing you missed out, radio plays, thats what really sells records to the mainstream

Or youtube, myspace, facebook that will reach more people for less money much quicker.

donsimon
    Free Member

You dont need to download illegally. Ever heard of Spotify? £5 a month for unlimited music. Bargain!

This is another option and the music selling model is changing, but sshhh! don’t tell our resident music mogul he hasn’t worked it out yet. 😛

RichPenny
    Free Member

Well don, your average band might all have jobs, so limited time is available. I’d like to see that time spent writing, recording and gigging rather than marketing and learning how the music industry works! I love the labels I mentioned and many more because I can trust that their music will be interesting.

john_drummer
    Free Member

it’s all well & good having your music on youtube, myspace, facebook, reverbnation, soundcloud and all the rest.

For example:
    http://www.myspace.com/chasingglass
    http://www.reverbnation.com/chasingglass
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b70ZEqJEcSo&feature=feedu
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chasing-Glass/144425452306384

But if you don’t tell anyone it’s there, the chances of it getting found are probably on the same scale as SETI getting a result or American Samoa winning a football match… er …

donsimon
    Free Member

Well don, your average band might all have jobs, so limited time is available. I’d like to see that time spent writing, recording and gigging rather than marketing and learning how the music industry works! I love the labels I mentioned and many more because I can trust that their music will be interesting.

I am actually agreeing with you RichPenny, if a band is good they have a choice to make market the music themselves, pay someone to market it, jack it in or simply do it for the love of it. I disagree with the larger companies that spew out crap, kill off competition and then call anyone with a different pov a thief without anything to support it, not very customer oriented, are they?

timc
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    It would tell me that Bit Torrent sites have had their marketing budgets capped, that the record companies are using their immense wealth and legal servants to close down the free market and bleed the public dry. As I said it’s the record companies screwing folks and not the artists, it’s the record companies that are demanding the anti theft software and therefore pushing the prices up. Supply and demand would tell me that as demand increases you should be able to decrease the prices, except if you’re greedy f*****s milñking the public. And your reaction here tells me it’s the record companies who have the attitude problem as the musician here seems quite cool you on the other hand.

so a world of presumption now, back what your saying up will you?? marketing budgets capped? give it a rest

screwing the public, again explain, how is selling something someone wants screwing someone? especially at less than £1?

I haven’t seen the comment of any (with respect) professional musicians here, I know the societies that represent Musicians don’t agree with what your saying, but hey never mind 🙄

timc
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    Or youtube, myspace, facebook that will reach more people for less money much quicker.

you need radio to sell proper units, the above come nowhere near in comparison, few example where radio isn’t needed, maybe X Factor for example…

john_drummer
    Free Member

X Factor doesn’t count, it’s a karaoke show

timc
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    This is another option and the music selling model is changing, but sshhh! don’t tell our resident music mogul he hasn’t worked it out yet

you will find spotify will change in the coming years, you will also find that spottily needs the label permission to have their material, your lack of knowledge on this topic is becoming annoying

RichPenny
    Free Member

Spotify pays the square root of **** all to the record company, meaning the artist gets the cube root of **** all 🙂 Maybe Facebook et al could be the future of music marketing, but I doubt it. I own a hell of a lot of music but only a tiny fraction is by unsigned artists. I hope that the cash I spend on music helps the artists create better music and the label to find better music.

CaptJon
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    What’s the “customer industry”?

I was thinking the other day, when I was 13 or so (30 years ago) albums were maybe £6? They’re what £8 these days? What’s inflation over that time?

£6 in 1981 = £17.93 in 2010

timc
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    I disagree with the larger companies that spew out crap, kill off competition and then call anyone with a different pov a thief without anything to support it, not very customer oriented, are they?

Spew out crap, open to debate really

lets get one thing straight, nobody is calling anyone a thief for having a different point of view

I am calling you a petty thief for downloading music without paying for it.

donsimon
    Free Member

screwing the public, again explain, how is selling something someone wants screwing someone? especially at less than £1?

I’d say it’s unfair when there’s no free competition.
    I understand you’ve got your job to protect and I’ve got the freedom to source my music from wherever I want. You have accused me of being a thief withouit any back up, I’m still waiting and I’ll be waiting a hell of a long time.
    I agree taking music without paying is theft, I don’t have to cut and paste to prove anything as your reaction has satisfied that I might have hit a nerve.
    Saludos.

donsimon
    Free Member

I am calling you a thief for downloading music without paying for it.

That’s a strong accusation without any proof. Show me the proof and I’ll accept.

donsimon
    Free Member

you will find spotify will change in the coming years, you will also find that spottily needs the label permission to have their material, your lack of knowledge on this topic is becoming annoying

Is this opening up the market or killing of the competition unfairly?

How many more albums would you sell if the price was dropped to a fiver?
    Would a fiver still give the artists a fair cut?

timc
    Free Member

Do i really need to trawl looking for a thread i never posted in, can’t remember the title of to find a comment where you said you don’t pay for music, you download for free, even if I’m mistaken, you have implied here that you do, so not really sure what your point is? you now claiming you don’t nick music?

no nerve really hit, just couldn’t stomach the nonsense you were spouting, you think you know a lot, but you clearly know very little about the music industry & everything that comes with it…

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Sorry again for junping in.

It doesnt matter what medium is used to get the music out there, but record companies will always be needed.

You can have a modest success from doing your own thing, but whenever it comes to making it big, and making serious money, you need the big boys help to market it worldwide. Not only marketing, but also the ability to distribute the material and get airplay in all corners of the globe. This isnt something you can do yourself.

With the arrival of services like Spotify the way we consume? music is changing but everything needed to make a band a success isn’t. There will be less money from sales/streams for artists as the price will have to decrease, and artists will probably have to make their cash from touring.

Not such a bad thing IMHO.

donsimon
    Free Member

you now claiming you don’t nick music?

If there is no evidence to say otherwise the answer has to be a “yes”, doesn’t it.

timc
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    Is this opening up the market or killing of the competition unfairly?

how could it be killing off the competition unfairly?

timc
    Free Member

if you don’t pay & don’t nick it, how do you acquire it the, we all know the answer, your just being boring now

donsimon
    Free Member

It doesnt matter what medium is used to get the music out there, but record companies will always be needed.

Of course they’ll be needed, I haven’t said otherwise, they just need to give a good product at a fair price and not try to rip the customers off.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Have a read of this. I reckon from research Ive done in the past about this that it is a fair representation of where the money goes.

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2010/how-much-do-music-artists-earn-online/

donsimon
    Free Member

I would imagine that if Spotify needs the record label’s permission and spotify becomes too popular the record companies might just want to get a bigger slice.

if you don’t pay & don’t nick it, how do you acquire it the, we all know the answer, your just being boring now

Again you are the one not making sense, where are you getting you info? Where have I said I don’t pay? You imagine that I download illegally and have the nerve to call me a thief, and now… Ja ja!
    Boring? 😆 Bless you, you had a go.

timc
    Free Member

your fooling no one DS… after your attempt to convince people you know something, anything about the music industry, i guess in most circumstance, people might have believed you hey 8)

timc
    Free Member

bobbyg81 – Member
    Have a read of this. I reckon from research Ive done in the past about this that it is a fair representation of where the money goes.

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2010/how-much-do-music-artists-earn-online/

this doesn’t really tell a true storey, after all its revenue, not profit, that makes a massive massive difference. the main reason being the way deals are structured

sc-xc

That’s a strong accusation without any proof. Show me the proof and I’ll accept.

don simon – Member
    If the technology exists to download/rip it, the artists should protect their work to prevent it from being downloaded/ripped. I’m not too sure it’s the artists that have a problem with the download/ripping problem but the record companies and distributor who have missed an opportunity and are now bleating.
    I have downloaded and I’ve had my work downloaded. That’s life!

don simon – Member
    Are we talking in general or about me? You appeared to have asked a general question and now have singled it down to me.
    I download.
    Is it wrong legally? Yes, the law says so.
    Morally? I download.
    Do people download from my site? Yes.
    What do I do? I make it a less attractive option.
    What happened? Sales went up. Go figure.
    Now the general answer and the relevance of the fiver, if there are less barriers to prevent the theft, people are more likely to take.
    Why did the banks and post offices chain the pens to the counters?

bobbyg81
    Free Member

I know its not the last word in the way the music industry works, but I still think it would give Donny S a better idea about the figures than he has at present.

donsimon
    Free Member

You’ve called me a thief and can’t prove it.
    You seem to think I don’t pay, again something in your imagination.
    And you expect anything else you say has credibility?
    You haven’t introduced any piece of evidence to say there’s no rip off, facts or figures.
    You sell to a market that probably doesn’t earn the money they spend using high pressure techniques which would allow the rather unusual price up sales up.
    That of course would work if you can, if you can, I probably can’t say fix, without being accused of something else, can I?
    You haven’t told me of the value that is supposedly added.
    I would love to see if Spotify agree in the idea that you’re helping the music industry flourish.
    You’ve done nothing except accuse without providing anything yourself.

That’s some serious spare time you’ve got on your hand sc-xc, hat’s off it was so important to you. And you’ll see that I’ve had my work ripped off by others, so been on both sides of the fence.
    😆

sc-xc

It took about 2 minutes, and I don’t care either way to be honest. I remembered the thread because it was the first time I noticed how bullish you appear to be.

donsimon
    Free Member

you appear to be.

I am or I appear to be?
    Bullish always or when it’s suitable?

timc
    Free Member

So it would appear it can be proved, you look like a royal nugget now, good night 8)

sc-xc

Appear to be. We’ve never met, and I imagine that in your professional life you’ve had to have a certain resilience. I just remembered the thread….

donsimon
    Free Member

So it would appear it can be proved, you look like a royal nugget now, good night

Why would I?. 😉
    You still haven’t demonstrated that the record companies aren’t ripping off joe public or that they add some kind of value or that the artists couldn’t make a living without you, have you?

Appear to be. We’ve never met, and I imagine that in your professional life you’ve had to have a certain resilience. I just remembered the thread….

In real life I’m a even bigger tw4t. 😆

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Internet music experts’ is closed to new replies.