Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Intergrated headsets
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

LOts of people have read the Chris King stuff explaining why these are a bad idea and I can agree with the theory behind it. However, has anyone got a frame with an integrated headset that has died prematurely and taken the frame out with it? I've got my eye on a frame that ticks all the boxes except the head tube. I'll agree it's a flawed theory but what's the real world effect of this?

highclimber
    Free Member

I was under the impression that its only the cups that are integrated hence the bearings are replaceable?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'm talking about the ones where the bearings sit directly in the frame. No cups.

titusrider
    Free Member

Im running a mojo sl with bearings sitting directly in the (carbon) frame cups. Was a bit worried but so far no damage to the frame though lots of hard riding.

I would say the headset needs to be good though, my first £35 ish cane creek only lasted about 6 months. No cup means the bearings are pretty exposed. now got a cane creek 110 so im covered if they go again 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

cheers. That's the sort of good news I want to hear as I'm looking at a much cheaper frame than that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Works fine on BMX's, and lets face it the average freecore mincer off STW is going to dish out less abuse.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Highclimber, what you're describing is an 'internal' headset. It's all desperately confusing as there are now so many permutations between the three basic styles.

Tim
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Works fine on BMX's, and lets face it the average freecore mincer off STW is going to dish out less abuse.

Bmx's are very overbuilt though and tend not to get filled up with mud 🙂

jond
    Free Member

>Highclimber, what you're describing is an 'internal' headset. It's all desperately confusing as there are now so many permutations between the three basic styles.

And you've been caught out 😉 – internal's also semi-integrated (ie cups)

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=68
    (and I'm pretty sure that's consistent with the CK interpretation of the term, too)

willj
    Free Member

Yep.

Bmx's are very overbuilt though and tend not to get filled up with mud

Not any more, now that they're all going light weight – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UnwvxLKitA

though you're right about the mud – that's why I picked up a mtb 🙂

bonj
    Free Member

get an FSA one and you'll be fine

Coleman
    Free Member

Still running original Campag style push fit bearings on my 08 s-works carbon HT. No damage to headtube so far although lower bearings are getting a bit sticky now – not particularly well sealed. No issues so far removing and pushing in bearings but always use liberal amounts of grease.

highclimber
    Free Member

'I stand corrected' said the man in the orthopaedic shoes!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Internal = semi-integrated, i.e. they are the same thing. I think this is what you're saying?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Intergrated headsets’ is closed to new replies.