Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Interesting photo effect….
  • …well, it is to me anyway. Stumbled across this one by accident, as I have better composed and taken photos of my dog. However, it was originally taken in colour, but when I converted it to B&W, it struck me that it almost has a 3D effect with the focal point being on the snout and almost seems to stand off the screen – what do you guys think?

(not sure how well it will come across with the size limitations on here)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It would be better if the point of focus was on the eyes. Always focus on the eyes, with a portrait.

The ‘3D’ effect is a result of shallow depth of field, created by using a large aperture. throws other elements in front of and behind the point of focus out of focus, rendering them blurry, and allowing the eye to concentrate more on the subject without being too distracted by other elements in the image. Isolates and emphasises the subject more. Hence why it is favoured in portrait photography.

Yeah, I know all that Fred, it was more of an accidental point and shoot, without thinking too much about setting up for the perfect portrait. I thought it made it interesting without being perfectly shot.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Elf, are they love beads you took a pic of?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh right, was not sure if you knew stuffs like that.

Very useful technique to know, though. Shallow depth of field can make for some lovely images.

Mung Bean; they’re olives. Your mind is in the gutter. 🙁

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I don’t care who they belong to, Elf, you shouldn’t really be posting pics of them, not without washing them first anyway!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😆

tinribz
    Free Member

I like the focus on the nose, think it works with it being a dog and them like always sniffin stuff n that. You can almost see it twitching.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

🙂 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I like the photo myself – like tinribz says, a dogs nose is really special to it – so it’s nice to see it so clear and big at the front of the photo.

Jesus H though, that one of the olives is shoite.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I like the focus on the nose, think it works with it being a dog and them like always sniffin stuff n that. You can almost see it twitching.

Yeah, interesting point. I think it would be more effective if the cam were closer to the nose, so that the rest of the head were really out of focus. As it is, it don’t quite look right as a portrait of the dog.

All stuffs what can be learned from just taking pics though, so STR is on the right course.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah! See this pic what Grum took (hope you don’t mind me using it as an example Grum):

Explains what I’m on about with the eyes thing. A stronger image, because they eyes are in sharper focus than the rest of the dog’s face and background.

grantway
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    It would be better if the point of focus was on the eyes. Always focus on the eyes, with a portrait.

That is so true and what makes a portrait also i add fill in flash I normally under rate the
    flash by 2 to 1.5 stops. Just adds sparkle and interest to the eyes

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Yes, Elf, but the OP’s pic has a cold nose and glossy coat quality.

Russell96

Here you go then http://www.lytro.com/ take the pic and decide afterwards at what point within the picture you want the focus to be.

molgrips
    Free Member

It would be better if the point of focus was on the eyes. Always focus on the eyes, with a portrait

I was gonna say, as above – it’s a dog, and dogs see as much if not more with their noses. So it’s possibly a picture of how another dog might see your dog… I like it.. these are the things that it brings to mind. Focusing on the nose is why it’s more than just another doggy pic.

I know where the focus ‘should’ be, the point of the whole thing was, is that the picture wasn’t set up properly and thus has created an interesting effect – viewed at a larger size, the snout really comes out of the screen. My daughter even asked if I’d somehow managed to make it 3D

Link to full size

http://g4.img-dpreview.com/4A072907D2A3475993E6B20309906014.jpg

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like it str.

The problem with asking folk about your photos is they put you off, to me it’s a personal thing, I don’t care if mine please “experts” or not (tho I may take on board their comments).

Not a go at you Fred, tho that olive pic is she-o-ite.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Sometimes you gots ta break the rules

grantway
    Free Member

Forgotten to say always blur the background

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Not a go at you Fred, tho that olive pic is she-o-ite.

Yeah,you should have focused on the second olive.

The problem with asking folk about your photos is they put you off, to me it’s a personal thing, I don’t care if mine please “experts” or not (tho I may take on board their comments).

Cheers al – that’s the attitude I take anyway. I knew the picture wasn’t professionally correct. Sometimes the best pics are the ones that don’t conform.

molgrips
    Free Member

Quite right.

wallop

The OP’s photo is the best in this thread. The B&W makes it look stunning.

DavidBelstein
    Free Member

I agree it looks like a 3D photo somehow, good stuff!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

They’re not mine! They’re Olives…

No s’not my pic. Just used it as an example of DoF.

Not saying STR’s ic does not in any way work, just offering my onion as to how to make such an image stronger. STR was asking for onions; I gave mine.

I think it works very well here:

With the lens being somewhat closer to the dog’s nose, the ‘3D’ effect is accentuated even more.

Cheers wallop *edit* and David – I’d previously ignored it in lieu of the one below (posted previously), but the latest one has actually generated more of a response.

That is a good photo too Fred

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I gave mine.

And as you’re so fond of fond saying yourself, sometimes, it’s ok to be wrong matey.

nick1962
    Free Member

Liking these doggie close ups but wipe the sleep out their eyes first 😉

user-removed
    Free Member

No sleep…. Sorry – any excuse to post a dog pic 🙂 Was just messing around taking shots for my new ad campaign.

brakes
    Free Member

I think the snout stands out because it’s a different shade to the head and body it is framed by, it is more in focus and it also has the appearance of being drawn – like it has been superimposed on top.
    I like it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Prefer the nose focus personally.

DezB
    Free Member

Focussed on the eyes and looks rubbish in B&W. Taken with the S95’s fisheye effect.

TheArtist..’s right about the 3D effect on his, looks great (edit – especially in the larger size, which I’ve just viewed and is stunning)

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences, but i think this is in keeping…

theflatboy
    Free Member

grantway – Member
    Forgotten to say always blur the background

not always, pays to try stuff out. blurring the foreground can be effective, i find.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Focussed on the eyes and looks rubbish in B&W

Yes, good point Dezmundo.

I think personally, with STR’s original shot, that I’m naturally drawn to the dog’s eyes more than it’s nose, as it seems to have a quizzical expression. Hence why I believe it would be a stronger image with the eyes in focus.

Ill very subjective though in’t it? And yes, it’s good to challenge conventions, but then you do at least need to be able to show why such conventions should be challenged, for me, the OP shot does not in any way. Good that it appeals to others though, so in that sense it is a ‘success’. 😀

grum
    Free Member

I like the OP’s pic better than mine too 🙂

Another example of ‘nose focus’…..

85mm 1.8 with Extension tubes – Macro test-2 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That’s not a dog though Grum. 😐

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Interesting photo effect….’ is closed to new replies.