Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Interesting 29er design
  • Clink

Nice experiment! Presume it’s the guy off here? (can’t find the thread)
    http://twentynineinches.com/2011/05/09/experimental-short-and-elevated-chain-stay-29er/

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dreadful food is often described as ‘interesting’.

Your friend’s ugly new partner will be described as ‘interesting

I see a pattern here.

uplink
    Free Member

Sweet baby Jesus, that’s awful

singlecrack
    Free Member

Well….I like it

amplebrew

I think it looks really cool.

I always loved the look of elevated stays.

tazzymtb

fromm memory wasn’t it ade ward who was designing some odd ball super short chainstay 29er thingymebobbins, is that his?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Already on version 2! If its anything like my Funk (90’s elevated massively oversize aluminium frame) it will shake its tail like a dog with a bone.Only going to worse in ti.There are better ways of getting short chainstays….not that it is a huge priority imo.

tk46hal
    Free Member

It looks like something designed in the Art Deco period to me!
    Classy and I like it!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Your knowledge of Art Deco is weak, old man. Fall to thy prayers…

tazzymtb

tk46hal- you own multiple dinky scandal 29ers so you are obviously a buffoon of the highest order* and have no idea about class 😉

*all based on rumors and hearsay from that chainslap fella

tk46hal
    Free Member

Amen!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think it looks nice, something different.

SHort chainstays are stupid though.

takisawa2

It looks beautifully welded, whoever did it; especially if its Ti.
    And some nice machined dropouts, even if they look like that bridge in Newcastle. 🙂

Andy

Yup. Looks like Ade Ward’s. Owner of the infamous “Preston”. Would be interested to hear how it rides.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

needs a belt-drive to justify the E-stay

matt_outandabout

Great way of tensioning and replacing belt drives mind….

ahwiles
    Free Member

well done! – i approve.

short chainstays can be lots of fun.

I like the chain tension adjustment idea.
    I’m not sure it’s got any advantage over an EBB or sliding dropouts, it just looks nice.
    Not really suitable for a Rohloff though, as the angle of the cable box would change with adjustment.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Some good ideas, especially the chain tensioning method. Super flexy BB though, dunno how you’d overcome that. Maybe a one-piece BB and chainstay unit made up of one huge, hollow (but stiff) box and the seattube and downtube welded on. Would give better clearances around the tyre. And aluminium or carbon for stiffness.

bullheart
    Free Member

I think it’s lovely.

How much to build me one?

psychle
    Free Member

I rather like it… and that may just be the endorsement that proves it’s ugly! 😆

twinklydave

It’s clever and it’s certainly ‘interesting’!

I wouldn’t go so far as to describe it as ‘nice looking’, but then it’s probably designed more for riding that looking at 🙂

tang
    Free Member

Great stuff, I salute anyone who has a go with an idea in design.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Short chainstays are usually damn good for climbing. BUT BBs are usually pretty flexy. Nice effort though, very tidy.

thepodge
    Free Member

more people should produce interesting bikes like this

adeward
    Free Member

HI Guys thanks for all the comments,,

i drew this up at the end of last year, sent the drawings and money off in Jan,, it has taken 5 months to get it built, and in those five months I have been looking back at the drawings wishing i had changed a number of points,
    the bb is slightly more flexible than my ragley td-1 , but i would like it to be stiffer (just incase I fancy a belt drive setup)
    i wanted a ridable bike first time out so the dropouts were “over engineered” they are very stiff indeed if a little wide,

things i may change larger diameter downtube,, I am still in two minds about lowering the chainstay down the seat tube as it would have to be narrower with less tyre clearance and stop me running a front derailier all to increase BB stiffness,,
    Huge tyre clearence was one of the original points I was working to

bikebouy
    Free Member

AlpineStars anyone..??

TBH the ideas a goodun’ Just visually they look odd, but then it’s not mine and I didn’t design it. Beauty they say.

More interested how it rides me…

bent_udder
    Free Member

“AW says the frame is “a bit heavy” and the bottom bracket stiffness is not to his liking”

From memory, both of those were problems for elevated chainstay bikes in the past.

Top marks for giving something like this a go; I have to confess I’m no fan of elevated chainstays, but the sweep of the toptube and seat stays is beautiful.

Would an asymmetric chainstay arrangement stiffen the BB, aside from looking a bit fugly? That or a ginormous diameter DT?

I’d love to see version 2…

mick_r

Hi Ade – looks good!

My steel e-stay 29er homebuild is nearly there – chainstays are on and is now a sort of rolling chassis. Just need to fit seatstays, add fillets to a few joints and then guides and bosses. Should be raw steel rideable in about a week or so.

My chainstays join a bit lower down so BB doesen’t feel too flexy but can only really tell when fully built up. The chain crossover point is what limits how low you can go. Chainstays are 22mm but current seatstay plan is 16mm (gulp). I’ve thought of a simple loading rig to put some real comparative numbers to “it feels a bit flexy”

Pictures soon….. If Chipps is listening – maybe time for an oddball / homebrew bikes article in STW instead of reviewing the same old stuff? (I seem to remember the bamboo frame article was well received). There are a few of us on the forum making / modifying things.

adeward
    Free Member

Here are a few numbers for you

Head angle 71
    Seat angle 73 (depends on seat height due to the curved seat tube)
    Chainstay 417 -437
    BB height 300mm
    horizontal top tube distance 609

designed for 80-100mm forks

BigJohn

It looks like the chassis of a wheelbarrow to my eyes. Oh, and that’s not a good thing.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Maybe a one-piece top tube-seat stays jobbie?
    I kinda like it. Wrong fork though, ti all the way!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Interesting 29er design’ is closed to new replies.