Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Intense Tracer 2 with BOS VIP'R & Devilles
  • j.anstee
    Free Member

Just after some opinions and thoughts of either and if anyone has any experience with this combination. Riding trail centres (overkill i know), Alps, Whistler and Gravity Enduro races.

Thanks

d45yth
    Free Member

I’d much rather have a Mojo HD with RS Lyrik’s…not sure what rear shock I’d choose.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you have that much cash to splash, wouldn’t you consider the Carbine frame too?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    honourablegeorge

The Devilles aren’t much more expensive than a Lurik these, days, and cheaper than Fox.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I’m currently saving up for some deville’s. I’ve heard nothing bad about them yet (would love to mind you! ) this has included owners of coil lyriks and meticulously looked after fox 36’s.

humdinger
    Free Member

Having ridden sold my Lyrik coils for my current Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti’s, I’d say the Lyrik’s are great, but Zocchi’s have a clear edge, truly back to being what made Zocchi great in years of old, but Lyriks come a close second. Rode the Deville’s also which I’ve gotta say we’re superb. Nearly as good as a coil like Lyrik/55s but not quite. On the upside, they’re very light, but also found quite flexy. Deville’s don’t seem to be ever available in sales, whereas Lyriks and 55s can be got CHEAP.
    In my humble opinion, 55RC3 Ti’s set the benchmark for AM/aggressive trail riding. I loved them so much, I bought some 44 RC3 Ti’s for my hardtail; also very good…

showerman
    Free Member

have an ibis mojo sl after dropping it in morzine this year no damage done but a little to the left the large rock would have fubbered the frame frame now have a canyon torgue for the ruff stuff. carbon has its limits

ichabodcrane
    Free Member

Get the Deville’s and don’t look back. I haven’t had chance to try out a Vip’r but my intention is to put that or a Stoy on the back of my T2 as the rp23 is awful.

honourablegeorge

showerman – Member
    have an ibis mojo sl after dropping it in morzine this year no damage done but a little to the left the large rock would have fubbered the frame frame now have a canyon torgue for the ruff stuff. carbon has its limits

You crashed and did no damage, and now don’t trust carbon as a result?

skywalker
    Free Member

I recon the 2012 RP23 is the shock to have. I haven’t tried an VIP’R but do have a 2012 RP23 and I really can’t see the VIP’R being better in any way..

Edit: They seem to think the same.

RP23 review

VIP’R review

d45yth
    Free Member

Skywalker – there is no such thing as the “shock” to have…it depends what bike it’s going on. Anyone with a DW link frame should know this only too well, RP23’s aren’t the best shocks for them!

Northwind

showerman – Member

carbon has its limits

Aluminium of course is impervious to harm.

skywalker
    Free Member

Skywalker – there is no such thing as the “shock” to have…it depends what bike it’s going on. Anyone with a DW link frame should know this only too well, RP23’s aren’t the best shocks for them!

You can buy high or low volume shocks. They have compression, rebound, and boost valve tunes to suit different suspension designs. You can also buy air volume tuning kits from Mojo.

I think you will find you can tune an RP23 perfectly for DW Link, probably more so than a VIP’R.

jedi

i cant wait for my 2012 ti 55s to arrive!!!!!

mildred

I think you will find you can tune an RP23 perfectly for DW Link, probably more so than a VIP’R.

Is this based on experience with BOS products or guess work? All BOS rear shocks are built and tuned specifically for their user and bike to which they’re going to be fitted. RP23, on the other hand, are an off the shelf product with factory set tunes that you can then pay to have tuned to you and your bike.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

All BOS rear shocks are built and tuned specifically for their user and bike to which they’re going to be fitted

Erm, no they arn’t. They have a number of off the shelf tunes relating to the leverage ratio/linkage of the bike they are going on. Using the Stoy as an example, on the bottom of the piggyback you will see ST01/2/3/etc etc which relates to the tune of the shock.

The BOS is just as off the shelf as the Fox.

skywalker
    Free Member

Is this based on experience with BOS products or guess work? All BOS rear shocks are built and tuned specifically for their user and bike to which they’re going to be fitted. RP23, on the other hand, are an off the shelf product with factory set tunes that you can then pay to have tuned to you and your bike.

Is this based on your inexperience of Bos and Fox products, I guess it must be….

hora
    Free Member

i cant wait for my 2012 ti 55s to arrive!!!!!

I know you liked your 2011 ones when you first bought them- any issues now??

nmdbase
    Free Member

Mildred, you are a girl 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Mildred the RP23’s can also be the wrong tune. Blur4X’s should have a low tune yet they came with mid probably as some sort of compromise?

Northwind

mildred – Member

Is this based on experience with BOS products or guess work? All BOS rear shocks are built and tuned specifically for their user and bike to which they’re going to be fitted

It’s interesting that they even offer this service for bikes they’ve never heard of and people they’ve never met 😉

mildred

Is this based on your inexperience of Bos and Fox products, I guess it must be….[\quote]

No, based on putting my hand in my pocket and buying the products then using them on a daily basis. And you?

HobNob, that isn’t what Roger at R53, or BOS themselves told me when I was looking to buy mine. The fox comments are based on many years of using their products, both as OE items and purchased after Market.

Nmdbase – no im not.

Hora, yes I know.

skywalker
    Free Member

No, based on putting my hand in my pocket and buying the products then using them on a daily basis. And you?

HobNob, that isn’t what Roger at R53, or BOS themselves told me when I was looking to buy mine. The fox comments are based on many years of using their products, both as OE items and purchased after Market.

Like I said, I have a 2012 RP23 on my bike now. I’ve also owned 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 RP23’s.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Unless BOS have changed how they build their shocks in recent months, there is nothing ‘custom/unique/whatever’ to any shocks they sell via the distribution network to the general public.

You get a shock that’s pre set in one of 4 or 5 (can’t remember) tunes, that’s designed to work within a couple of preset parameters, namely linkage type & stroke ratio.

skywalker
    Free Member

So Mildred the wise, how do you like them apples? 😆

j.anstee
    Free Member

So are we thinking BOS is better for the harder hitting AM type over the RP23 which sits in its travel a bit more for suppleness?

climbingkev
    Free Member

Skywalker, you change you shock more than I change my pants! ❗

dans160
    Free Member

I have a stoy on my ss1 and a ccdb on my M9. I’ve just bought a stoy for the M9. They have 1 of 5 tunes to fit your linkage style/ratio etc. What this means is that your starting point for fine tuning is much, much better. The fox dhx5 my ss1 came with I actually liked but I already had the stoy. The RP23 on my tracer was utter crap.

Stoy all the way for me. It might not be a ‘custom’ tune specifically to you but it’s better than having none and they work brilliantly!

humdinger
    Free Member

Having ridden 4 shocks on my HD (RP23 (2012 and 2011), zocchi WC coil, DXH air, and RS Monarch Plus), I can safely say (for my riding style) that I went with the Rockshox Monarch Plus and had it PUSH tuned, and it’s simply excellent now. VERY tunable, very plush, great spring curve for the HD.
    Check out the HD thread on mtbr.com and you’ll see MANY riders agree. It cost a few quid, but now I don’t need to faff with changing the RP23 over to the coil when I want to change from trail riding to more DH stuff, as it copes with both beautifully if you set it up accordingly (2 minute job)

In answer to another query re zocchi 55’s working well… I’ve just bought a second pair of 55 RC3 Ti’s, this time with the tapered steerer, and sold the previous pair, which had worked flawlessly after many pretty brutal miles. Marzocchi reliability is back from my experience, and hey, with a 3 year no-service needed warranty, I’d say they’re backing their products…

mildred

skywalker – Member
    So Mildred the wise, how do you like them apples?

So I was right, you haven’t any experience of the BOS…?

I’ve actually owned 2x 2010 RP23 & a 2011 RP23 & didn’t think very much to them. I’m not saying they’re bad shocks, but I don’t think they suited the bikes they were on (yeti asr7 & orange 5); both had large volume cans, which definitely don’t suit the 5 in my opinion/preference. I’m told the large volume air can is to make the shock more linear and akin to a coil; it doesn’t, it just feels wallowy, whereas the VIP’R doesn’t.

skywalker
    Free Member

So I was right, you haven’t any experience of the BOS…?

Mildred, I don’t need experience of Bos shocks, and if you read the thread I never said I did have.

I did say that I really don’t think there is much possibility of the VIP’R being any better than the 2012 RP23, and provided links to reviews in which the reviewers agree.

I do know for a fact however that this statement

All BOS rear shocks are built and tuned specifically for their user and bike to which they’re going to be fitted. RP23, on the other hand, are an off the shelf product with factory set tunes that you can then pay to have tuned to you and your bike.

Is absolute BS.

mildred

I forgot to mention that 2 our of the three I mentioned above also has to be sent back under warranty for cavitation (whatever that is).

skywalker
    Free Member

Interesting, the 2012 RP23 I have on my Five is by far the best shock I have ever used, quite a bit better than the 2011 RP23 I had on my previous Five. Definitely no wallowing at all, if set up properly that is.

mildred

Mildred, I don’t need experience of Bos shocks, and if you read the thread I never said I did have.

No, but you did say this:

Which I struggle to understand if you have no experience of the Bos. You’re obviously a fan, but you’re discounting something you have no experience of. That was my point, not a critique of each shock.

mildred

I back to back tested the large volume against a small volume on mine and it brought the frame alive – much more like the 5 of old that I loved. In fact, I had an RP23 on a Blood for a 2 week period and that had to back under warranty too. Maybe it’s me, but 3 out of 4 of the same product going back under warranty didn’t really endear the thing to me. In contrast, I’ve never had one problem with the Bos, or even any of the more basic Fox shocks such as the float r. I also rate their coil shocks very highly.

sandal100

Does anyone have a VIP’r on their Tracer 2 and can give feedback after a period of use. Especially compared to 2012 kashima RP23.

I found this as well, a table showing which tune shock, and the individual shim stack settings for each individual bike. So they do tune them specifically for each bike, not just off the shelf tunes:

http://www.bosmtb.com/pdf/ViprChart.pdf

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Intense Tracer 2 with BOS VIP'R & Devilles’ is closed to new replies.