• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by gee.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Installing XTR cranks without TL-FC35 tool?
  • jsinglet

I’m going to install a new set of XTR cranks tomorrow, but I don’t have the TL-FC35 tool. From the instructions it looks like I only really must have this to remove the crank, it’s just needed to check that the crank arm cap is tight. From a wiggle with my fingers it seem pretty tight to me.

So will I be OK just going ahead without the tool? I’d really like to get the cranks on tomorrow but doubt I’ll be able to get the tool anywhere local.

Cheers

John

gee
    Free Member

Hi

The tool is only needed to remove the cranks.

The little plastic thing isn’t even needed – it just stops the threads getting mucky.

GB

jsinglet

Cheers, morning in the garage for me tomorrow then 🙂

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Get ready for when you do need it. its available for £39.99 at Evans !

paul78
    Free Member

Yeah its an expensive tool for sure.. I have one spare as no longer have cranks if you wanna buy it when you need it 🙂 just mail me

bassspine
    Free Member

The little plastic thing isn’t even needed – it just stops the threads getting mucky.

no, it’s to pretension the bearings. the commonest cause of bearing fail is this being done up too tight.

Jeffus
    Free Member

There are two plasticky things one adjusts the end float of the cranks against the BB, the other is as said to keep the threads clean, this can be screwed in by hand, and very gently tap’d tight does not need any force.

bassspine
    Free Member

ok

mainmonkeyking
    Free Member

Hey Paul78 – I’ll buy the XTR tool from you. I need to swap my xtr chainset onto a new frame. Drop me a mail to andrew.bruceATbarclayswealthDOTcom

cheers!

gee
    Free Member

You can adjust the bearing lockring by hand or by using the Allen key.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Installing XTR cranks without TL-FC35 tool?’ is closed to new replies.