Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Innerleithen uplift
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

So we’re doinag a long weekend up in the Tweed Valley next weekend, and I was really tempted by an uplift day at Innerleithen.

That was until I found out some more details. Is it just me, or is £32 for 8 runs really quite on the steep side, given that Cwmcarn is £28.50(£25 during the week) for a minimum of ten runs (I’ve done 12 before). Flyup is £25 – again cheaper during the week. Couldn’t find prices for Gawton or UK Bike Park for comparison.

Now, sure it’s only a couple of quid difference, but the thing is -last time I was there I did 4 runs pushing/riding up in not much over 2 hours (after driving up from London and riding the XC loop). The only thing stopping me doing more was that I was knackered from riding my hardtail with iffy brakes. So I could easily see me doing it 8+ times in a full day, although I suspect I’d be heartily sick of the push by the end of it, but £32 the richer…

Just seems daft to put on an uplift that doesn’t actually offer anything more (other than sheer lazyness) than pushing can.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Bollo.. Round hairy sweaty things. Wrong Forum. Sorry!

flatfish
    Free Member

Go ride Cwm Carn or FoD then or push your bloody bike. 🙄
    Thought you London folk were rolling in it?

Diane
    Free Member

Well if I take my heavy bike out for a mince I prefer the uplift coz I get a bit tired. Just think of it as part of the cost of my leisure activity but it does add up if you are doing it a lot I guess 🙂

Three_Fish
    Free Member

What is your point?

5lab

inners to the top has got to be at least a 45 min push – i think round trip you’re looking at at least an hour.

its the same with CC though – you can loop that in around an hour with pushing up. For rheola its about 90 mins for a ‘lap’. you can probably push up fort bill if you fancy.

uplifts cost money, but leave you with more energy for riding. at the end of a days lift i’m knackered, and whilst in the past I’ve pushed up, its worth £30 for me not to bother these days.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

doesn’t Cwm Carn only have 1 track?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

My point is that it’s a bit daft (IMO) to charge more than any other uplift operator for a service that’s no more efficient than pushing is.

Couldn’t care how tired I get – that’s how you get fitter and stronger after all. It’s all about getting more runs in!

Kit
    Free Member

My point is that it’s a bit daft (IMO) to charge more than any other uplift operator for a service that’s no more efficient than pushing is

Sooooo, bit like train and bus tickets varying around the country then? Would you just walk instead if the price was more than you were used to?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Couldn’t care how tired I get

I do, If i’m there to do DH then I want to get the most out of it so not be more fatigued than I need to be. If I want to be fitter/stronger etc I will do longer rides on my bike or carry then to the top of mountains that have no chairlifts or roads

Garry_Lager

If you did 4 runs from the top in 2 hours you must be very fit (and riding a xc bike probably) – you certainly wouldn’t be in the mood for another four – you’d be pyar buckled and mincing down like an OAP after a full day of that. Just pay the money brah.

legend
    Free Member

Cwmcarn – Tarmac road with a Tranit mini-bus towing a trailer, basically 1 track
    FoD – (Tarmac?) mini-bus pulling a trailer up a tiny hill
    Innerleithen – 1 coach + 1 cattle track going up a hill with various 4-5min runs

not sure how you can even compare the three setups??

bruneep

might just go next weekend to point at the skinflint pushing up the hill. 😉

neallyman
    Free Member

So I could easily see me doing it 8+ times in a full day

8 full push ups to the top of plora rig in a single day’s riding would be a monumental effort in anybody’s book. 4 is bloody tiring, but I just don’t see 8… IMO (By my reckoning that would equate to around 9,850 feet of vertical push… with a bike!)

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You do realise that the first fire road you come to is only around 1/3 of the way up the hill dont you.

spanishfly
    Free Member

4 pushes to the top in 2hrs, nah I don’t believe you.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Bloody ‘ell, I moan my ar$e off a having to push the bit from the bus drop off to the very top of the runs and usually skip it a few times!

3 full push ups is more than enough for me in one day pushing a DH bike.

Fairly sure it’s cheaper than Fort Bill which has the infrastructure in place. Tally has to bring in a bus, cattle truck and usually has at least one guy round there the whole day + needs to make something out of it.

Will be interested to see if I spot someone pushing up time after time this w/e, I’ll certainly be on the bus!!

kevonakona
    Free Member

They charge what they can.

A few extra quid for more energy AND you’re driving from where? How much is the extra £5 compared to your weekend cost.

Oh, i’ve never used an uplift ‘coz i’m soft and like to bimble around.

Trekster

Tally has to bring in a bus, cattle truck and usually has at least one guy round there the whole day + needs to make something out of it.

He sure does with another child due any time 🙂
    If the FE increase their charges as is rumoured you will be paying lots more 🙁

That was until I found out some more details. Is it just me, or is £32 for 8 runs really quite on the steep side, given that Cwmcarn is £28.50(£25 during the week) for a minimum of ten runs (I’ve done 12 before). Flyup is £25 – again cheaper during the week. Couldn’t find prices for Gawton or UK Bike Park for comparison.

All depends on how much FE are charging for the lease/use of these other trails.

thv3
    Free Member

4 push ups in 2 hours, nah, don’t believe that was to the top.

I’d say a 40 min push up to the top(start hut or Matador) is reasonably quick so a 30min turn around is incredible. If you sign up to the uplift for 8 runs, when you get to the bottom the bus is not normally too far away and its time to go back up again.

So unless your super fit, and super motivated, I think its worth £32.

Then again, I’m doing this Saturday and Sunday 😉

andrewh
    Free Member

Elite XC racer on big bike (5″ coil sprung both ends, 8″ rotors, huge bars with tint stem, triple rings) just over 30mins from car park to little hut thingy at the top, around 8mins down Make or Brake and Caddon Bank, nearly 15 mins down the Matador because I get scared on that one.
    By the sixth run I’m doing around 45mins to the top.

4 runs in 2hrs is very good going. If you don’t already race I suggest you try it.

Personally, I wouldn’t do the uplift, I like to feel I’ve earned the fun (and I actually quite enjoy the climbs…)

Northwind

I am calling epic heroic shenanigans on 4 full push-up runs in 2 hours. Could be you didn’t push to the top, could be you’re a bit deluded, could be you’re just trolling. Not that bothered which it is though.

stevemtb
    Free Member

So, what’s the update on this one? Walk or uplift??

Did see a few pushing up Saturday morning but didn’t see them later on.

Junkyard
    Free Member

whole point of a uplift is to let you do the Downhill relatively relaxed. I was far more tired than I thought I would be considering how little pedalling i did.
    Would not want to do it every week but nice for a once a year treat
    £32 seemed Ok ish for whatit was.
    One persons wages [driver], one van to buy + one trailer + not fully booked all year = not a huge income I would guess.

stevemtb
    Free Member

One persons wages [driver], one van to buy + one trailer + not fully booked all year = not a huge income I would guess.

Presume you’re talking about a different uplift here? Inners is a cattle truck and a bus, both hired for the weekend. One a weekend with decent weather both the bus and truck will be pretty much full.

Northwind

stevemtb – Member

Did see a few pushing up Saturday morning but didn’t see them later on.

When there’s space, they offer single runs for a fiver- pushing up’s OK but when the option’s there it’s very hard to resist.

Trekster

£32 seemed Ok ish for whatit was.

+insurance
    +lease of property/forest trails
    +FE riders levy
    +time spent preping/maintaining trails, they do not appear by magic

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Innerleithen uplift’ is closed to new replies.