• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ingrowing toe nail.
  • lipseal
    Free Member

Is it true that loss of both big toes will cause you to lose balance and fall over?

surfer
    Free Member

Possibly but if you only have an ingrowing toenail that sounds a bit drastic.

I had one years ago and they removed the bed to ensure it wouldnt grow back. No problem since although it freaks my kids out!!!

I ran from Keswick over Skidaw, great Calva, Mungrisdale common, Blencathra then back to Keswick on Sunday morning and didnt fall over once!!!

wwaswas

??q?ssod

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    surfer
    Free Member

😆

IanMunro
    Free Member

I guess it depends on if you mean the metatarsal or phalanges.

coffeeking
    Free Member

You do need your big toe for fine balance, but I’m sure you can cope without it.

Ingrowing nails just get ripped out and usually grow back fine. Well, mine did:

jhw
    Free Member

Don’t go and see a doctor about it. They’ll make you wait six weeks and then just do to you what you need to do yourself on a regular basis anyway. My gf used to have this repeatedly (a genetic thing – her Dad too). Eventually it got so she couldn’t walk, so she sterilised a cutting tool and basically ripped the whole thing out of her toe (apparently it was a sizeable, sharp chunk of nail). She said it was satisfying and the relief was immense. She now has to regularly go in and cut out the nail as it regrows, but because she does it at the first sign of discomfort it’s not as drastic or bloody!

TatWink
    Free Member

Dunno about the balance thing but one of the most painful things ever!!

I kept doing a diy hack it out job until the toe got infected. Had to wear a sports sandal on one foot and a work shoe on the other. Looked a right plonker!

Had it done at the docs where i needed 3 injections to take the pain away. Damn thing is starting to play up again as well….

eckinspain
    Free Member

Get a toothpick, some lint and some friar’s balsam (at least I think that’s what it was called).
    Using the toothpick pack bits of balsam-soaked-lint down the sides of your nail.
    Repeat for a few weeks.
    Problem solved.
    HTH

oblique
    Free Member

i fixed my ingrowing toe nails years ago by putting small wadges of tissue under the corners of the nail to lift them out of the skin. Like the guy above said do this for a bit and if you keep onto of cutting your nails it shouldn’t come back.

Glad i never went to a doc, ripping your nail off for the sake of tissue papper.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why oh why did I click on this thread?! I KNEW it’d be like this!

Gah!

Cougar

Dunno about the balance thing but one of the most painful things ever!!

+1, in terms of disparate amounts of pain compared to the size of the injury it’s in a league of its own.

I had a couple when I was little, of the “oozing pus” variety. Dug ’em out with a knife in the end, rather than doing anything sensible like going to a doctor. There was a quite startling amount of nail sticking out and down into my toe, god only knows how it grew like that.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I had terrible trouble with the nail on my right big toe.

Recurrent episodes of dagger shards of nail growing down and into my toe. Cartoon-esque pain – think Jerry hitting the ceiling after sitting on a hotplate.

Eventually it was removed and the nail matrix was phenolised to ensure zero re-growth. Smooth as a babby’s bum now it is and never had a hint of re-growth. Cost me £125 that about eight years ago.

kcr
    Free Member

Had both big toe nail beds treated with phenol about 20 years ago and have been sans big toe nails ever since. I can confirm this makes no difference to balance.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ingrowing toe nail.’ is closed to new replies.