Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Ingrowing toe nail
  • lipseal
    Free Member

Can the side of the nail be removed with out growing back and is there anything that can be done without going to the quacks. Getting some puss and it hurst like hell. 😥

Marmoset
    Free Member

I had mine done 20 years ago – they snip the side away and put something on it to stop regrowth – I wouldn’t have a go myself TBH, it’ll hurt a lot.

Onzadog
    Free Member

sorted my own by stuffing cotton wool under the edge of the nail. Then trim the edge back as required. Depends just how bad it is though. I caught mine early.

loddrik
    Free Member

I had an op for mine in 1990, I still remeber the pain every time I was in a club and it got trod on!

carlphillips
    Free Member

20min op done by the podiatrist under local with phenolisation of the matrix would see it right, can self refer to your local NHS podiatry service or get it doen on the day at a private clinic, prices vary greatly and make sure the price includes at least 2-3 post op re dressings and checks.

my mail is in my profile if you want me to give you any advice.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I waited to it burst through the side of my toe, then ripped it out with some pliers.
    Luckily I have no pics 🙂

cheers_drive

Had both my big toes done at the podiatrist 18 years ago. Was agony and often had blood soaked socks. I tried to cut in down the side myself but you it hurts luck f and doesn’t get the root, also highly likely to get infected and pussy.
    Go to the doctors!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Hells teeth, I can remember mine in ’96. almost fainted in the end with the pain, hurt like nothing else and I could smell the infection by the time I eventually got it operated on. Get to the quacks and get it sorted, can’t believe I waited as long as I did.

lipseal
    Free Member

So what’s the down time after they do the op, a week or just a couple of days?

Cougar

I remember having one as a kid. Disproportionally painful for what it was.

I dug mine out with a lock knife, it worked for me but it’s not an approach I’d recommend. (-: Get thee to a doctor.

ianpinder
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member
    I waited to it burst through the side of my toe, then ripped it out with some pliers.
    Luckily I have no pics

Ditto,

Then the skin grew back over and the the puss built up underneath the side of your skin.

Had mine removed and there were two spike on it (the bit that goes through the side of your toe) apparently the worst she had seen ever. I had one for 2 years before I got it removed. hould of done it much sooner.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Had mine removed after about a year of problems with it, and allowed to grow back.

Ring block painkiller went a bit wrong and left me with shooting pains for months.

TBH, I wasn’t out of action at all, it made no odds – it was less painful to strap on a shoe and go out biking than it was having the ingrowing nail!

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Had my nail removed 4 times and it still grew wrong,in the end had it removed and then killed the growing part off,Had this done 15 years ago.Took a week of work,due to not being able to put my steel toe caps on.The smell was enough for me to have it done.

carlphillips
    Free Member

downtime is normally one day, and goes something like this.

normally do the op on a Thursday, go home with huge dressing and sandals on,feet up for the rest of the day, normal pain relief and no alcohol.
    friday redress with small dressing to allow normal footwear to be worn/check wound.go to work on monday 🙁 and redress daily then twice weekly as the wound dictates, healing should be all done 6-8weeks depending on a variety of factors (subsequent after care being the most frequent complication/cause of infection so keep it clean!!)

Innes
    Free Member

I had both my toes done, down the sides of each nail. It is as others have said painful, but I haven’t had any pain since. My nails look normal and I would recommend getting it done.

Reign_Man
    Free Member

ohh, I feel for you. Had mine done years ago but it still makes me shudder thinking about it. Two army medics sitting on my legs while a third got to work on my toe nail with a pair of scissors and a some pliers. Ah, the special treatment I used to get as a matelot in a barracks full of paras.

Took a couple of weeks to heal up enough to get proper boots on.

lipseal
    Free Member

In Doc’s now waiting with a throbbing toe and a mouth ulcer, ffs what’s going on I’m falling to bits.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Mouth ulcer might be secondary due to the massive toe infection? When my toe was infected from the ingrowing nail I got huge amounts of joint pain and stomach problems, they left when the nail was removed. Self poisoning!

cp

I missed most of last years events I had planned due to an ingrowing nail which repeatedly got infected. Doc thought initially that it could be treated with anti bios, which helped for a week or two, but soon got very bad again rather than just bad.

I was out of action for months with it, but when finally operated on – just had the edge snipped off. downtime from the bike was a week. I could walk everywhere and do stuff straight away – just didn’t want to get it infected again.

Couldn’t believe I’d been putting up with the pain for so long!!!

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

A bloke where I used to work in 1988 had 6 weeks signed off work for an ingrowing toenail. Yes really.

– I guess we can see why GEC went downhill!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Ah, the special treatment I used to get as a matelot in a barracks full of paras.

Jebus, hope it wasn’t 3 Para Mortar plt 😉

lipseal
    Free Member

Antibiotics I want me toe nail off , looks like I’ll be visting 3 para for their special treatment . I’ll probably be dead in a week and wont be a strain on the NHS then.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Had both of mine done nearly ten years ago as I suffered with several ingrowing toenails every year throughout my teens. I didn’t have the whole nail removed on either toe just the side cut away and then the root killed.

To be honest the worst bit were the injections as I have an irrational fear of needles (there was a moment in SawII when I almost died!)but also needles in fingers and toes are pretty uncomfortable. When it was all over and the anaesthetic had worn off I don’t remember any pain only relief at how much more comfortable it felt than before.

I had mine done at my GPs and had no downtime whatsoever.

To date it has been a complete success with regard to my right foot but my left foot does still cause minor problems but there seems to be a weak ridge between the wanted toenail and unwanted side bit so it is very easy and only slightly uncomfortable to remove.

If you suffer with reccurring ingrowers don’t accept any antibiotic and suffering in silence shit, get them operated on.

BillMC

My granny’s recommendation: cut a little wedge shaped nick in the middle of you toenail. It worked on my two big toes.

lipseal
    Free Member

For some reason mine has started to dig in at the middle as I have managed to make a gap from the middle to the top of the toe(if that makes sense) so it pushes in there now. Going to try whiskey tonight see if that helps, TBH I didn’t realise that you big toe moved that much.

Keva
    Free Member

what BillMC said. All you need to do it cut a V shape into the toe nail – doesn’t everyone know this, what’s wrong with you lot ? hospital, doctors, signed off work wtf ? it’s a toe nail.

lipseal
    Free Member

Diagram and instructions for the V notch procedure please.

carlphillips
    Free Member

v notch procedure is utter nonsense/ols wives tale i’m afraid.
    Stop typing on forums and get it looked at by a podiatrist!!

anokdale
    Free Member

lipseal – 3 Para Mortars special treatment has nothing to do with toenails, more not bending down in front of the Platoon to look at them if you get my drift, most of that crew from 80-82 have moved on but the reputation lives on.

Ex 2 Para myself, thought i had better dispel any rumours. 😉 And the sailor having treatment from the Para Reg, brave dude.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Ingrowing toe nail’ is closed to new replies.