Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Inglorious Basterds
  • eth3er
    Free Member

Just been to see it, a very good film indeed. Enjoyed it immensely.
    Bring on District 9 and The Hurt Locker, for a while I thought this was going to be a summer of crappy films; yes Transformers I mean you.

Kuco

I like the looks of The Hurt Locker as well. Yet to see Inglorious Basterds.

Drac

Yeah looks like it should be good plan to see it.

shortcut

Saw it last night. Great film. Go see. Very Tarrantino!

lister-hooded
    Free Member

saw TARANTINO on Sky the other night doing his preview type thingy of it…

MUST SEE it soon

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I saw the hurt locker a while back. It's rather poor.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I can't wait to see IB and District 9, Gamer and Surrogates look promising as well.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Saw it this afternoon and loved it, possibly his best yet.

Special_ized_Jamie

Saw it last night and loved it!

Return to form after Death Proof

kimbers

yep it was wicked serge leonne via the ateam and allo allo, with a bit of powell and pressburger

JCornford

It was awsome, proper Tarrantino like the older stuff, but lots of humour as well.

IHN

Very Tarrantino!

I'll be avoiding it then. Is it just me that thinks that everything since Pulp Fiction has been pretentious, emperor's-new-clothes old w@nk?

chakaping
    Free Member

Is Death Proof worth watching?

I don't get a lot of time to watch films, so have to be picky.

Is it just me that thinks that everything since Pulp Fiction has been pretentious, emperor's-new-clothes old w@nk?

I thought Jackie Brown was great.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I enjoyed it

It may not be his best – but I did find it funny, and it certainly didn't bore me – which is more than can be said for many contemporary films

Death Proof is a bit pants to be honest – I would quite like to see it as part of the original "Grindhouse" thing, I think that cut is shorter. I'm not sure if that version is available on DVD though?

Pretty much the entire first half of Death Proof could be watched on fast forward and you would miss nothing – the only bits worth watching is the stuff when people are actually driving cars/ shooting guns

RoterStern
    Free Member

Is Death Proof worth watching?

Not really it's like the Duke's of Hazzard with swearing.

Nick

The only review I've seen (not counting those above), in today's Guardian, gives it 1 star and calls it 'A Nazi piece of work'.

'Having seen it once in Cannes earlier this year, and again for its UK release, I was struck afresh by how exasperatingly awful and trascendentally disappointing it is: a colossal, complacent, long-winded dud, a gigantic two-and-a-half-hour anti-climax, like a Quentin Tarantino film in form and mannerism but with the crucual element of genius mysteriously amputated.'

Was going to see it on Saturday night, might save the £20 and wait till it's reduced to a £5 on DVD.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

"I'll be avoiding it then. Is it just me that thinks that everything since Pulp Fiction has been pretentious, emperor's-new-clothes old w@nk? "

I guess I dont agree with you because I think everything he has done comes into the category of witless tripe!

terrahawk
    Free Member

"serge leonne via the ateam and allo allo" sounds perfect to me.

chakaping
    Free Member

the category of witless tripe!

Bet that's the most popular category at Blockbuster.

Jamie
    Free Member

On the subject of good films just coming out, check Mesrine Pts 1&2. Vincent Casell is fantastic in it….and to think i remember him as a spotty herbet in La Haine all those years ago.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is it just me that thinks that everything since Pulp Fiction has been pretentious, emperor's-new-clothes old w@nk?

No, I am with you on that. Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs were great then…

tyger
    Free Member

Quentin Tarantino and WW2 no thanks.

tomzo
    Free Member

Quentin Tarantino, no thanks.

eth3er
    Free Member

I think sometimes critics can be sanctimonious ****, I guess it comes with the territory, Peter Bradshaw however is a first class dick.
    I love this quote from Tarantino "I respect criticism. But I know more about film than most of the people writing about me. Not only that, I'm a better writer than most of the people writing about me. And I can write film criticism better than most of the people writing about me. [My goal was] to get the biggest standing ovation of the festival, and I got it"

coffeeking
    Free Member

Got to say I'm with tomzo – can't stand his style. Whether he or others think he's a god, I dont really care, his films are, in general, over-acted, over hyped and quite dull. Kill Bill being the pinnacle epitome of his work for me.

milkherd
    Free Member

I think sometimes critics can be sanctimonious ****, I guess it comes with the territory, Peter Bradshaw however is a first class dick.

Agreed – Seems attention seeking to give it 1 star! If he wasn't a fan, 3 or even 2 stars I could understand, but 1 star puts it in the same league as 'Paul Blart: Mall Cop'…!

If it had been by a new, upcoming director, I wonder if he would have rated it the same…?

samuri
    Free Member

"I'll be avoiding it then. Is it just me that thinks that everything since Pulp Fiction has been pretentious, emperor's-new-clothes old w@nk? "

*including pulp-fiction*, yes.

ourmaninthenorth

I thought Jackie Brown was great.

I do.

Tarantino's biggest problem is that his films are vacuous. Stylish, often, but vacuous – he isn't a "good" writer in the way he claims, simply someone who has a certain ability in overtly plagiarising the work of others and still receiving crddit for it.

I thought we had moved beyond post-modernism of this type? Maybe not.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm a Tarantino fan, agreed there's not a whole lot of depth to the films but for entertainment value they're right up there IMO. Not seen IB yet but although Death Proof got panned (and was way over-hyped) I enjoyed it, not sure I'd want to pay to see it in a cinema though. Kill Bill 1 & 2 and Pulp Fiction I was happy enough to pay to see though…

Did anyone see the bit on the news about Avatar – looked like Halo to me… Not sure who it's aimed at but will be interesting to see if stands up outside of the 'revolutionary' 3D stuff.

JCornford

I loved Pulp Fiction and Resevior Dogs and Thought Jackie Brown was ok, but hated a lot fo his mroe resent stuff, Kill Bill and Death Proof, this I feel is on a par qaulity wise with the earlier work but more comedic.

Gilles

Tarantino rocks guys, don't believe whatever Mark kermode says.

chakaping
    Free Member

Mark Kermode is a sanctimonious prick.

He'd fit right in on this forum.

GrahamS

Just watched Basterds and thought it was really rather good. Little odd in places and plenty of Taratino winks in it, but also violent, brutal, cinematic, funny and intelligent.

handyman
    Free Member

I go to the cinema to watch a film and forget all the outside world, as long as it does that i really dont min how pretensous etc a film is , years ago the daily express film critic whose name i forget often slated films and found if he didnt like i loved it.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I saw it. Really liked it. Tongue in cheek with loads of dark humour.

Wally

£3 at tesco.

GrahamS

£3 at tesco.

What is? 😕 ??

coffeeking
    Free Member

I quite enjoyed RD but after that it all started to go downhill. The comedic blood spurts in kill bill finished me off, if I'd been watching it in the cinema I'd have walked out, instead I turned off the DVD and went out. Drivel.

kimbers

coffeeking the comedic spurts of blood are referencing the samurai films that tarantino loves so much

maybe you should broaden your horizons man and watch some kurosawa!

GrahamS

agree with kimbers. Up until the comedic blood were you under the impression that Kill Bill was a serious critique of the samurai-inspired warrior culture within a group of mercenary assassins controlled by a manipulative patriarch figure?

Cos I thought it was a suitably tongue-in-cheek comic book film.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Inglorious Basterds’ is closed to new replies.