Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • *%£^ing Lime Scale
  • Bedds
    Free Member

After some advice from the STW brain cell..

We live in a really hard water area and it's playing havoc with our water system. We've just had our second shower die in the last 5 years, our boiler seems a little 'wobbly' on it's legs and I get concerned each time the washing machine is switched on (and with a biker and a 9 month old baby in the house, that's a fair bit).

I'm looking at what we can do, the water company were **** useless when I tried them so the next option is looking at scaler removers/inhibitors for the main incomer..

Anyone any experience, recommendations?

Cheers

Bedds 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member
    Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Best option is going to be a softener on the main incomer TBH. You'll have to pay for it to be done privately though.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Those fangled gadgets which you wrap a wire with a little signal generator, or plumb in the magnetic coil thing. They really do help – for definite.

I was once sceptical, but it's not entirely snake oil. I got convinced some years ago when I lived in Cambridgeshire, and I always use them nowadays. Not a solution but a worthwhile improvement.

GrahamS

I remember reading a scientific article somewhere or other which suggested that in very hard water areas, washing machines live longer with Calgon.

Drac

lol Graham.

verbal_kint
    Free Member

the device that Mountaincarrot mentions above works for us, we live in surrey, very hard water area, but our kettle is still bright and shiny after three years and when we had our heating system replaced there was minimal scale in the cylinder. been using one for over twenty years and really recommend it.
    BUT
    my wifes aunt who lives nearby tried one and she did not notice any benefit
    We use a Scalewatcher as it came with a money back guarantee at the time

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

As above get one of the electromagnetic jobbies that wind round your mains supply pipe. Get a decent one (about £100 IIRC) and wind both coils tight and close as per the instructions or it's not so effective

Worked for us in the Cotswolds – very hard water. Doesn't prevent scale completely but it definitely helps

sadmadalan

Gave up with the ectromagnetic jobbies aand got a water softner. Not cheap but solves the problem

Bear
    Free Member

only way to soften the water is a water softener.

none of the electromagnetic things really work when you heat water instaneously. polyposphate dosing does but doesn't soften.

I'm a dealer for a particular water softener and beware there is a lot of money to be made in water treatment. I only really sell them as part of a renovation, but they are a good softener.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘*%£^ing Lime Scale’ is closed to new replies.