Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Inflating tubeless tyres (again)
  • donks
    Free Member

Sorry forum but it's now my turn to ask numpty tubeless questions even though i have been running tubeless for 2 years!! Thing is I have a new front wheel which is a tubeless mavic 819 rim and I tried to inflate a Tubeless Kenda small block tyre but failed miserably. No matter how much I gave it on the track pump the fecker wouldn't inflate. I have a fair bit of solution poured into the tyre and have spun it round loads but oh no…the old XT 775's used to inflate on the first pump, a bloody doddle so what am I doing wrong here?? Maybe a better track pump?? its not the best TBH but it worked with the XT's, so I reach out to the collective knowledge of STW before I go to Halfords and buy a compressor..

Riofer
    Free Member

I use a co2 cannister to get mine inflated first time. I have heard you can use a strap round the tyre to reduce the volume so that the bead takes and then gradually release the strap as it inflates. Good luck

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

I use CO2 inflators in the workshop. We get a free supply from Genuine Innovations to demo the product. It works on all but the most worn out tyres with stretched beads. Then, only a compressor will seat them. But you should really think about binning a tyre with such poor fit in such a safety critical area.
    So in summary, Co2 inflators are where it's at for tubeless.

P.S. I've never failed to inflate a Latex tube even with a mini pump and they give similar performance to tubeless systems for ride characterists and with less weight than 100g of sealant.

Northwind

Hmm, I'm unconvinced, I've tried with CO2 a couple of times and it doesn't seem any more effective than a good pump. At least, I've only ever tried to use it after a pump's failed, and CO2's also failed, so I've ended up using the compressor (as a matter of bloodymindedness I don't like to use the compressor, it feels like cheating)

If you're struggling, and you're using a proper tubeless rim not pissing about with ghetto or rim strips, try sticking in a tube and inflating til the bead seats, then carefully unhook the tyre round one side only, and remove the tube, and fit the valve- at all times keeping the tyre seated round the other side. This way, you have half as much tyre to fit effectively.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Or just fit the tube and pump it up, then leave it in. Saves you all the rest of the crap, and weighs as much as the sealant you're going to put in.

spooky_b329

Or fit the tube, leave it for an hour or so then remove tube and reinflate, not worrying too much about keeping one bead mounted. The tube helps shape the tyre as it has been folded up.

Kahurangi

Or just fit the tube and pump it up, then leave it in. Saves you all the rest of the crap, and weighs as much as the sealant you're going to put in.

Yeah, 'cause we all love the puncture resistance of a rubber tube 🙄

M6TTF
    Free Member

I've found 819s to be tricky too!

scaredypants

no mention of diluted fairy liquid in the OP – did you use any ? I put it on with an old paintbrush.

(spinning the wheel with jizz in it won't coat the rim & bead, just the area underneath the tread – suppose you could "apply" it to the right areas if you wanted)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

skyline talks rubbish as usual

neil853
    Free Member

I was skepticle abou the soapy water thing but it really does work. I had some michelin wilgripper'rs that just wouldn't go up, bit of soapy water around the bead and it went straight up, bit of a waste of time however as the tyres were s**te.

mashiehood
    Free Member

getting my panaracer xc pro's on to crossmax is a doddle

1 – mount tyre
    2 – remove valve core
    3 – fairy liquid with water on spnge
    4 – apply all around the bead making sure there is plenty of soapy stuff on the rim & bead
    5 – make sure the bead is in the centre of the rim – REALLY IMPORTANT
    6 – infalte using track pump – keep trying
    7 – tyre inflates eventually – rest!
    8 – pour in sealent throught the valve
    9 – fit the valve core
    10 – inflate and seat the bead – be careful to not go above 45 psi with a wet bead – the tyre can blow off the rim (has happened to me)

Xylene
    Free Member
    donks
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I have heard that washing up liquid was the way to go so I'll give that a go, might splash out on a better track pump as well (justifies it to himself), I'll be damned if i,m sticking tubes back in though as I commute on the bike as well as weekend riding and I was getting 2-3 flats a week on the blasted road and canal, and have never had on with the old Xt tubeless wheels. The rim is a specific tubeless though and not a ghetto jobbie, so it's a bit frustating that with tubeless specific tyres on it is a major hassle to inflate. I guess it just shows that Shimano stuff works really well or at least IMO.

epicyclo

I keep intending to do tubeless. (I've even bought the kit)

But then I keep seeing threads like this on various mtb forums and I realise I never have seen a thread "How do I inflate my tubed tyre".

I realise that once inflated there is very little problem thereafter, but I suspect I would not be happy having to do this procedure 10 to 20 miles from anywhere if I did get a problem.

Maybe the best way to inflate a tyre is rather than put in liquid latex, put it in the form of a toroidal shaped latex air container?

uplink
    Free Member

but I suspect I would not be happy having to do this procedure 10 to 20 miles from anywhere if I did get a problem

You'd just put a tube in to get you home

Only had to do it once in 5 years myself [after a heavy crash]

KINGTUT
    Free Member

P.S. I've never failed to inflate a Latex tube even with a mini pump and they give similar performance to tubeless systems for ride characterists and with less weight than 100g of sealant.

Bollocks.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I realise that once inflated there is very little problem thereafter, but I suspect I would not be happy having to do this procedure 10 to 20 miles from anywhere if I did get a problem.

That's why yo carry a spare tube.

donks
    Free Member

I cannot stress enough….I am a magnet to anything thorny and have had enough of flat tyres. I realise that those of you who only do trails and no commuting dont find this to be such a problem but it's like ours and possibly every council must make it there sole purpose to leave the thorny hedge cuttings strewn along the cycle paths and canal tow paths just for me to ride over…so the introduction of tubeless tyres filled with wonder latex stuff that instantly seals these pesky little holes is invaluble. I have seen that you can squirt road bike latex into presta valved tubes directly so this may be worth a shot if it has the same result.

Northwind

I've had some great use from thin tubes, people assume they'll pinchflat all over the place but I did parts of the fort william dh route on 105 gram Schwalbe XXlights frinstance. They didn't flat any more than any other typical tube But still, I prefer tubeless, because flats are so rare, and despite what Skyline claims it's lighter (sure, 100g of sealant is exactly as heavy as a 100g tube, but that's a lot of sealant, enough for a pretty big tyre) and I think undeniably more durable.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Inflating tubeless tyres (again)’ is closed to new replies.