Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Indian restaurant Derby/Belper/Matlock
  • HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Just wondering about the Viceroy (Duffield/Derby) or Shalimar (Matlock) – has anyone been to them? I'm thinking about taking my missus as we've been told they're pretty good but, rather worryingly none of them have any prices on their websites… are they really pricey or just shy?

chameleon78
    Free Member

shalimar was good when I went but that was nearly 5 years ago!

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Maybe 5yrs but i've not headr a bad words against any of them. cheers.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Balti International in Derby is good. Haven't been to the two you mention.

theboatman
    Free Member

Viceroy in both Derby and Duffield are OK and not too pricey. I prefer the Balti house in Matlock Bath, next to the County and Station pub. Also in Duffield is Okra, which is pretty good. The usual one man's good curry house is total shite to another caveat applies to this advice.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

cheers

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Now she wants to go to the Thai place in Matlock! lol.

adam82
    Free Member

been to lots of indian restaurants and would reccomend jeera in codnor market place

joemarshall
    Free Member

Thai place in Matlock! lol.

The Thai place at Belper Mill is quite good (Old Siam). And pretty cheap too for somewhere quite nice.

Joe

teagirl
    Free Member

Viceroy was a frequent venue or us when we lived down those parts, excellent food and service. Nom Nom..

the-muffin-man

Aye Jeera gets rave reviews and you can visit the Poet and Castle over the road for a great pint of cask ale beforehand (owned by Ashover Brewery). I've also heard good things about Maazi in Matlock (old Ritz Cinema).

MoreCashThanDash

Good reviews for the Duffield Viceroy in the local "Country Images" magazine that appeared through the letterbox today.

superlurch
    Free Member

The Shalimar on Midland Road(?) in Derby… we go there for Christmas dinner. It's ace

finbar
    Free Member

I second Joe, the Thai in Belper is good. It's a cut above most places round here decor-wise too. I knew a chef at the Shalimar (Matlock) who was a massive stoner, i'm not sure if he works there still but he'd sort you out with a "magic curry" if he does 😉

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I find the Viceroy a bit "up their own 4rses", footballers and other important people (sic) eat there, and you can't get a proper hot curry. Food's okay, but if you try three curries they are all pretty similar.

Maharaja in Belper is good for a proper curry house meal.

Matlock Bath Balti is good too.

A friend really rates Masala Art in Derby, but I've not been.

Went to the Belper Thai place before it got flooded a couple of years ago, and it was really nice and proper authentic.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Indian restaurant Derby/Belper/Matlock’ is closed to new replies.