• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Nial.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Increasing headangle on a Heckler
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Hi folks,

I’m currently running a 150 mm fork on my 2011 Heckler so imagine my head angle is around the 68 degree mark (SC website states 69, but I think thats for a 140 fork).

Other than fit a longer fork is there anyway of slackening the headangle to make it a bit more downhill friendly. Stuggling to justify 800 quid on a new fork but am thinking something like an angleset may do the trick. Only issue its its not a tapered headtube. Are there any alternatives, and would changing the headangle and keeping the 150 fork screw up the handling?

Thoughts appreciated!

ta

porter_jamie

works components do a 1 degree headset for an 11/8 headtube. i am in exactly the same situation, so if you go for it, please let me know what it is like.

sambob
    Free Member

Offset bushings should work. You’ll be able to get a Works headset too. Combining those would make a 2 degree change, which would be quite a big difference.

warpcow
    Free Member

I was in the same situation and looked at the Works headset and offset bushings. Ended up going for a longer fork though 🙂

mcgoo
    Free Member

would that same 1 deg headset be ok for a 2010 zesty? I have emailed works components 4 times now and not heard anything back whatsoever!

tpbiker
    Free Member

What on earth are offset bushings??????

honourablegeorge

mcgoo – Member
    would that same 1 deg headset be ok for a 2010 zesty? I have emailed works components 4 times now and not heard anything back whatsoever!

I thin kWorks now do headsets specifically for a Zesty

nmdbase
    Free Member

If you want some offset shock bushes I have some for my Heckler that I didn’t use. £16 posted would be fine. It will give you 1 degree. If you are using a revelation it gives you a 67.3 degree head angle

mcgoo
    Free Member

Thanks honourablegeorge. This is why I have been trying to get a response from them, as they do a standard 1 1/8 headset and also a Lapierre fitment unit. Only thing is it doesnt specify which Lapierre models it suits. Thought I would try one of these as the stock headset is now rougher than the proverbial and ready for replacing but don’t want to order the wrong one and have to faff about trying to get it swapped. Especially now it is apparent they are hard people to get hold of. No phone number on their site either unfortunately.

james
    Free Member

“so imagine my head angle is around the 68 degree mark (SC website states 69, but I think thats for a 140 fork”
    Probably more like 68.5deg

“Increasing headangle”
    “fit a longer fork”
    Which is it?

To slacken the front end you could also fit a bigger tyre up front too. Obviously you wouldn’t want to go much bigger, but it’ll add a little more with other things above

tpbiker
    Free Member

Good spot..the title is wrong I meant ‘reducing head angle’!

If I went with both options it’ll give me a 66.5 angle, which I assume is going to transform the handling of the bike. Is this a bit extreme? Never heard of the bushing approach, any thoughts on what other impact this might have?

and just a thought, will all these changes invalidate my warrenty with Santacruz?

Thanks?

Rickos
    Free Member

Mcgoo – http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/15-degree-ec44—zs55—lapierre-fitment-angle-headset-119-p.asp

They do a 2 deg one too. Looks like no 1 deg though. Can’t see how you missed it. Clearly says Lapierre fit.

james
    Free Member

Offset bushings can wear out quicker as one edge is thinner than normal (being offset)
    Slacker HA will likely make it more of a handful going up anything steep/tight/techy
    Long(ish) stem and slack(ish) HA might be a bit at odds, 66.5deg HA, 65mm(ish) stem would be fairly middleground? Maybe up your bar width upto about 760mm too?

IIRC Hecklers are ok upto 160mm forks warrantywise, so you’d think it’d be able to take a bit more up front, not that it should be any worse? In short, I’ve no idea

bighendo
    Free Member

fit a 200mm shock
    simples 😀

Northwind

Not all bikes will take an offset bushing- if the clearances are tight then the reduced minimum shock length can cause fouling, so be careful- it’s essentially the same as fitting a shorter shock. (also, with some designs with clever linkages remember you’re putting the startpoint of travel in a different place. Not going to affect a Heckler obv)

I got the Steamer Industries ones, they wore very fast unfortunately- the hole is very close to the side of the bushing and that seems to make it keen to ovalise. Others are available and might be better.

Works headset is nicely tried and tested though, very pleased with both of mine.

dreednya

Both the offset bushings and angle set will reduce head angle, drop the BB slightly and steepen the seat angle, so climbing should be slightly improved, or at least not made worse by the slacker head angle.

Rickos
    Free Member

Offset bushings would slacken the seat angle. Angled headset would steepen it a touch, but probably not quite as much as offsets would slacken it. If you did both it’ll prolly end up around the same place as standard – close enough at least, especially with a nudge forward of the saddle on its rails.

mcgoo
    Free Member

Rickos, that won’t fit my bike, I think its for the 2011 models onward with tapered head tube.
    “Lapierre choose to use a 55mm lower cup in many of their frames meaning a specific headset must be used.
    – Fits headtube internal diameter – 44mm Upper – EC44, 55mm Lower – ZS55 –
    – To suit standard 1 1/8″ steerer tube forks. (28.6 – 30.015)
    – 41mm OD, 45 x 45 Degree AC sealed bearings.
    – Insertion debth: 9mm Upper, 16mm Lower.”
    I think this is for the newer frames with the tapered head tube. This is why I’m asking as it isn’t very clear.

mcgoo
    Free Member

This one?
    I think it could be this one but I have never bought a headset before so apologies if I seem a bit confused!

_tom_
    Free Member

I’d leave it, 68 degrees is fine for dh, any slacker and you’ll probably make it less fun to ride everywhere else.

STATO
    Free Member

nmdbase – email me, could be interested.

Nial
    Free Member

Hey mcgoo, I would be very interested to hear how you get on with fitting and riding with this offset headset.
    Can you update the post when you have done this, I will then make a decison about my 2010 Zesty also.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Increasing headangle on a Heckler’ is closed to new replies.