Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Inception – SPOILER ALERT
  • warton
    Free Member

Watched it on Sunday, great film, but….

In Limbo, is his wife still alive then, or is that his projection of her? I just keep on thinking her jumping was in a dream….

loddrik
    Free Member

Don’t think there is a definitive answer, up to the viewers interpretation. I reckon it was his dream but the wife thinks otherwise.

luked2
    Free Member

Yes, she’s not real but she thinks she is.

LHS
    Free Member

She was never real, she was just a holographic projection from the event horizon from a shrinking black hole at the edge of the universe.

😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Spoiler Alert MkII –

It’s not a great film. It’s entertaining, but nothing special

iDave
    Free Member

She was never real, she was just a holographic projection from the event horizon from a shrinking black hole at the edge of the universe.

Haven’t seen the movie, but it sounds like my ex wife was in it…

rOcKeTdOg

did the top stop spinning??? grrr! 😆

j_me
    Free Member

The top wobbles……but does it stop ?
    Also in the dreams he’s always wearing a wedding ring, but at the beginning and the end he isn’t…..so maybe he is back in reality. Who knows? Who cares?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Yup. The spoiler is: the effects are cool but the plot is an Absolute loads of round spherical appendegages.

Hth

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m having Muesli for breakfast. HTH

Onzadog
    Free Member

An interesting idea wasted in my opinion. Characters were not at all engaging so I couldn’t care less if she was real or he was still stuck in a dream.

Hohum
    Free Member

I watched it with high hopes after reading the positive reviews (and ignoring the indifferent and negative ones) and remembering the trailer for it.

The special effects were very good, but the bit with the snowy temple just reminded me of James Bond, so I felt a bit let down for some reason.

chocolatehobdobs
    Free Member

I quite liked charlie brookers summary “its like playing 4 levels of a computer game at the same time, including the tedious snow level”.

soma_rich
    Free Member

See the fact the top wobbled proves he was out of the dream. I think its definitive. He says at one point it would only ever wall over in reality.

craa22uk

“the top never stops” is the definitive hollywood plot pointer – he’s been incepted with the idea that it falls over in his dream which makes him think it’s real (remember it’s his wife’s object)

best thing is this youtube four dreams at once thingy – the film was pretty average but better than sh1tter island

MrNutt
    Free Member

wish I’d just watched that bloody youtube video, and why the merry hell aren’t they all floating around or at least partially weightless in the tedious snow level?

clubber
    Free Member

It doesnt matter whether it falls over or not. The point is that he turns his back to it and doesn’t care either way.

rOcKeTdOg

i liked shutter island

clubber
    Free Member

Me too 😉

DenDennis
    Free Member

Spoiler MK iii
    (sorry if done before [and its caine])

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I think neo sums it up well in the 5 sec version…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1MOUGBknZs[/video]

Houns

lol @ DenDennis

Watched it for the first time over the weekend, really enjoyed it

PJM1974
    Free Member

I really didn’t get it…by that I mean I didn’t get why everyone seems to think it’s clever.

The plot has more holes in it than one of PG Tips finest plus it just seems to follow the trend of cinematography over content. There were some interesting ideas that just got lost in there somewhere.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

My question is why would the spinning top not fall over in a dream? The whole thing is a dream. There can be no other explanation for it.

organic355
    Free Member

why the merry hell aren’t they all floating around or at least partially weightless in the tedious snow level?

I enjoyed it as a movie on the whole, but that ^^ is a very good point!!

I am also a bit confused as to how Leo and the Japanese guy got back from Limbo? Dont they have to ride the “kicks” back up, and didnt they miss the final one? They are all in the snow building when it collapses, but wheres the kick in the level below? The girl jumps off the balcony, but what about Leo and the other guy?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s a confusing but interesting film.

It’s not Cobb’s totem, it’s Poll’s dream of her totem which she kept hidden in a dream safe. Poll lost her sense of being in a dream, it became real for her: Limbo. Cobb replaced her dream totem with his own permanently spinning dream of the totem to incept the idea that they weren’t in reality (to persuade her to leave Limbo). So I think the totem Cobb uses is not real and behaves how Cobb expects it to behave.

In “reality”, he’s constantly chased and escapes in Mobassa in a maze. The situation where his kids are stuck in America is just plain weird. It’s as if he’s architecting someone else’s dream, probably Poll’s original dream. He half-suspects this anyway because his projection of Poll discusses this with him in the dream hotel room.

He tries Yousef’s deep sedatives and “awakes” apparently without having dreamed. While washing his face he sees his wife and is disturbed by Saito before checking the totem. If he’s dreaming at this point, it’s not clear if he ever truly wakes.

These points seem contradictory! So one theory is that Cobb is irretrievably stuck in Limbo after Poll escaped (by jumping out the window). That Saito, and maybe Michael Cane’s character, enter his dream to incept the idea of the inception heist as a way of getting Cobb’s mind to return “home”, look at his kid’s faces and accept that reality (whether it’s real or not) – to be at peace.

Alternatively, it’s not meant to make sense and the director is just playing with us 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

avdave2

I watched it on a flight but I think I may have enjoyed the red wine too much because it’s all a bit hazy and I’m not sure if I was still there at the end.

clubber
    Free Member

Nolan’s own explanation – probably the right one to listen to 🙂

http://collider.com/inception-christopher-nolan-explains/61972/

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Which one was Keyser Soze?

headfirst
    Free Member

Surely the point is: reality is whichever one you choose to inhabit?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I am also a bit confused as to how Leo and the Japanese guy got back from Limbo? Dont they have to ride the “kicks” back up, and didnt they miss the final one? They are all in the snow building when it collapses, but wheres the kick in the level below? The girl jumps off the balcony, but what about Leo and the other guy?

Asuming the plane is reality, they get back there by killing themselves, the same way Leo and Poll did before. Saito picks up the gun, and although it’s not shown, previous experience shows death is the only way to come back.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Did I say Poll? I meant Mal. Sorry

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Asuming the plane is reality, they get back there by killing themselves, the same way Leo and Poll did before. “

Can’t: Yousef’s sedatives are too strong. This is explained earlier in the film and is why they need they need the synchronised kicks.

clareymorris

The top was still spinning…………..Cue Inception II ;-D

clareymorris

Tree-magnet… At the levels of dreams they were in didn’t Cobb say death would send them to Limbo? Or did they kill themselves in the top/normal level?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Can’t: Yousef’s sedatives are too strong. This is explained earlier in the film and is why they need they need the synchronised kicks.

The two kicks (the one they all missed, then the one when he was in limbo that Cobb missed) were both triggered from layer 1 (or 2, depending if you think the plane was a dream as well). There had to be a third kick, triggered from the plane to bring them all back. Bear in mind, that the kick he missed only bought everyone back to the city, not right back to the plane. So if they waited, say 10 minutes in the city for the next kick to go back to the plane, that would have explained why Saito was an old man when Cobb met him, and they then rode back through all the layers to the plane to join the others.

Tree-magnet… At the levels of dreams they were in didn’t Cobb say death would send them to Limbo? Or did they kill themselves in the top/normal level?

Yes, but death timed with the kick will bring them up, where as death with no kick will take them to limbo.

I think.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Inception – SPOILER ALERT’ is closed to new replies.