Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Inbred bike weights???
  • LapSteel
    Free Member

I have just built up my On One Inbred mainly from parts off the classifieds and it weighs in at a whopping 34lbs

Just wondered what weight other Inbreds are out there in STW land.

I would like to get it down to about 30lb without spending a fortune!

It rides well and I’m not too concerned about the weight at the moment as ive run out of cash but its always good to plan ahead

wwaswas

crikey.

My 456 was 26lb with 130mm forks and gears.

My Inbred’s at about 24lb with carbon rigids currently.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

26lbs. no gears. fat tyres & with 140mm talas.

OP> To get the weight down your best bet is to drop off the (silly) gears and the cast iron saddle 😉

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Mines comes in about 32lb. Thats with full xt drivetrain, pro 11’s on mavic 729’s and 302 SL toras. Wasn’t accurately weighed tho.

Lootenant
    Free Member

ouch..

My 456 is around 28lbs with 140mm forks, gears and strong rather than light wheels.

PJay
    Free Member

A fair bit must depend on the frame size you’re starting with, there’s going to be a fair bit of difference between a 14″ and a 20″.

For the record my old 20″ 853 Inbred with solid kit (steel chainrings, nice comfy saddle etc.) and Reba forks was about 29lbs and I’d guess that my older DN6 one with a steel steerer Duke fork would be a fair bit more. Forks can hide a fair bit of weight especially if they have a steel steerer.

njee20
    Free Member

A fair bit must depend on the frame size you’re starting with, there’s going to be a fair bit of difference between a 14″ and a 20″.

You’d be surprised, I found larger variations between identical bikes of the same size, than between sizes, although generally a large Stumpjumper Expert (which was what I had plenty of to hand), was generally about 0.25lbs heavier than a Medium. So… not really a huge issue.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’d guess mine is about 24lbs (certainly lighter than my Giant Anthem X2), but then I do have no gears and Pace rigid carbon forks on it, so it is pretty minimalistic.

If you want reasonable weight for reasonable money, Charge Spoon/Knife saddles are good weight for the price, some SLX bits throughout aren’t far off XT weight, and tyres can weight a surprising amount.

Post up a photo so we can see the current spec. Sounds like you should just rag it until you break bits, and every time you replace something, make sure the replacement bit is slightly lighter.

LapSteel
    Free Member

It has got heavyish wheels Bontrager Rangers with deore hubs and a cast iron saddle, heavy cranks and pedals but still thought I was on course for around 30-31lbs!

IanW
    Free Member

Mines 19lb…..oh hang on its a scandal. 🙂

LapSteel
    Free Member

The plan is to get get lighter parts as and when They break or I can afford them….just wanted to build it up cheaply and quickly so I could get in on the road/quarry

Its 16 inch frame so not huge

FraserHughes
    Free Member

Mine is about 22lb but then its got no gears and fair bit of carbon.

Exploring the Southern Pentlands by wintericemonkey, on Flickr

As pixelmix suggests I’d just replace bits as you break/wear them out. Wheels and tyres probably make the biggest difference but obviously aren’t cheap!

campfreddie
    Free Member

mine weighed a mighty 31 lbs, but it’s been on weight-loss diet recently… i’m now running it as a singlespeed, am about to put some lighter wheels on, and will change the monumentally heavy but hard wearing Panaracer Cinder tyres for something very light.

it is running Tora 318 Solos and Deore discs so that adds a chunk, but I reckon about 28lbs will suffice for me.

PJay
    Free Member

You’d be surprised, I found larger variations between identical bikes of the same size, than between sizes

Fair shout, I’ve currently got an 853 Sirius (great frame) and there were meant to be some absurd variations in weight between frames of the same size from the same batch.

You don’t want a bike to be too overweight for the type of riding you do but equally you can spend an age and a fortune losing the weight; to my mind (and I’m not a competitive rider) if you enjoy riding it and it didn’t bankrupt you building it then, that’s good enough. My current 27lb large steel hardtail with rigid steel forks spends most of its time of the road and country trails/bridleways, I love it to bits though.

For the record, personally I’d never bother weight saving in the saddle department, comfort is where it’s at for me.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve got a 16″ 456 with slx.. dual air revs.. bombproof wheels.. mid weight finishing kit.. it has to be tough for what it’s used for..

It probably weighs about the same as a small cathedral but I rarely notice it..
    what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger and all that..

MrBlond
    Free Member

Mine is ~28lbs IIRC, 130mm forks, mainly LX cheapy wheels (haven’t ridden it in about a year).

Tyres are a good place to shed some weight easily and (comparatively) cheaply

PaulD
    Free Member

Mine is under 21lbs.

It is a 13″ Inbred frame that weighs 2,100g with 1,220g forks.
    The rest is single-speed with V-brakes and no frills.
    Very light saddle, pedals, tyres and tubes.
    I did say no frills….there’s plenty of thrills as well as a bone-jarring ride coupled with the uncertainty of V-brakes in the gloop.
    Not an all-year-round bike, but something different when I want a change.

PaulD.

rustler
    Free Member

Current 18″ 29er Inbred weighs 24lb, with On-One carbon forks, TN719 rims on Surly/White Ind rear & XT front w/ Bonty Jones 2.2 ACX tubed tyres, Thomson stem/post, Carbon bars & Ti Spoon saddle, Juicy 5’s w/ 160mm f+r rotors. Its kind of irrelevant though, with 15st+ of me on board. 😕

nickf
    Free Member

It is a 13″ Inbred frame

Not one I’ve ever seen them list. I had to get 14″ frames for my kids.

mboy
    Free Member

My old 29er Inbred weighed an effing ton!

6lb frame weight, 28″ wide steel (yeah really!) bars, an Alfine hub, Kenda Tyres all didn’t help though. Was over 30lb easily, maybe more like 31/32.

Wheels and tyres sounds like the place to start, and the saddle (as someone above said Charge Spoon is not bad weight for not much money).

Suggsey
    Free Member

My 18″ 456 with dual air revs, Thomson and Hope and XT comes in at around 28ib with Ardents on and about 30lb with Minnions 😆
    But then with 17 stone plus of rider and kit on board it really doesnt make too much diffrence.

LapSteel
    Free Member

Just done an hour’s test ride and it doesn’t feel as heavy as it is. Feels about the same as my Alu hardtail which is 29lbs so I’m feeling better about the weight.

Its all probably irrelevant anyway as I’m going on for 15 stone 🙂

Going up to Lee Quarry later so I’ll see if it works on’t pump tracks

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

My dad has a 456,
    130mm fox floats
    slx cranks
    xc717/hope front wheel, dt 430/shimano heavy hub rear
    ibeam saddle+post
    hope mini brakes
    slx rear mech?
    mg1 pedals

any it was once upon a time about26/27 apparently but with rear mudguard, saddle bag it came in at 30lbs on kitchen scales.

PaulD
    Free Member

nickf,

It’s an old DN6 steel frame.

I was told it was a 15″ on the advert, but when I saw it, I knew.

I currently have more seatpost than frame…it looks odd but rides OK.

Seatpost is the nearest thing to some flex/suspension, after the tyres!

I can mail a picture, but not figured out how to add one here.

paul.r.davisAThotmail.co.uk

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

My SS / 100mm forked / 16″ inbred is 24lbs, nothing that I’d call lightweight on it but nothing heavy either 😛

mralexbenn
    Free Member

My 456 is around 26lbs on the scales with 140mm pikes, ZTR flow pro2 wheels hope mono minis ibeam, slx cranks and super light sram rear cassett. Would like to save a little more but thinking tyres as it seems a bit sluggish on the acceleration. Got 2.1 cross marks on at the mo but what would people recommend? I just do local single track nothing too rocky that iv come across

PaulD
    Free Member

I am running 325g Kenda Klimax Lites (1.95″ claimed but never!) on a Ti hardtail, with 83g Maxxis Fly tubes, but not without some pinch-flats on rooty/rough trails.
    On a full-susser I am running 465g Kenda Kharisma Lites (truly 1.95″) with 124g tubes and had no pinch-flats.
    I have a few 550g Kharisma Lites (2.1″ claimed but unverified) waiting to replace some 1.95″ Nevegals (approx 620g) for summer use.

All of these Kenda Lites seem to be end-of-life models….why?

PaulD.

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

LBS just weighed mine, 20″ frame, Manitou Carbon R7 80mm forks, FSA 300 SLXC wheels with Racing Ralphs, XT shifting, Hone Cranks w/ Middleburn rings, Controltech Hycros Bars all came in at 25.8lbs 8)

graham1975
    Free Member

My 18inch 456 Carbon weighs 28.2Lb with 160mm forks NS BIKES rims converted to tubeless, and XT componants Formula brakes with huge rotors, with Nukeproof finishing kit, running 2.5 Maxxis.
    My steel Ragley Bluepig weighed a whopping 32LB and that was full XT and 140mm forks, and tubeless Spank rims.

nick1962
    Free Member

My steel 16in 456 is 31lbs.
    160mm Marzocchi SL2 air forks,SLX drivetrain,shifters etc,Avid Juicy 3.5 brakes with 203,180 rotors,Maxxis 2.35 Single ply High ROLLERS ON Mavic 117 rims,formula hubs.On one big nose saddle,FSA seatpost and FSA bars

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Inbred bike weights???’ is closed to new replies.