Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Improving sound quality via PS3???
  • missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

We've got a PS3 wired via HDMI to a pretty basic 32" HD TV. Sadly the speaker quality of the TV is shite, and when we watch Sky we've got the Sky box wired via some AV connections to a small & cheap "surround sound" set up.

So the question is how I can I about trying to improve the sound quality on PS3 playback, either gaming or disc? Any advice appreciated.

bawbag
    Free Member

I've got a similar set-up and I run the speakers from the TV's line-out socket meaning that whatever you watch comes through the external speakers. Also switched off the TV speakers as there was a slight overlap.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Hmm, not sure that the TV has a line out socket, any idea what this would be marked as? There are several sockets on the back of the TV but noine that seem to indicate that they are an audio out.

TV is a boggo Aldi Tevion 32" model BTW.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

I use a optical cable to my surround sound and it rules!

Do you have a budget, or wanting to make the most of what you've got?

If the latter, we may be struggling.

windydave13
    Free Member

I've got mine hooked up to a Panasonic SA HE7 Dolby Digital Receiver via optical. The amp is then linked to a suite (5.1) of eltax speakers. 2 fronts, 2 rears, centre and sub. Originally ran without the sub, but adding that in made a huge improvement.
    Only problem with it is, the reciever won't decode DTS so a little annoying for some films but for COD MW2 it's spot on.

This little bad boy has multiply digital inputs, so you can hook the SKY box, PS3, MD, etc directly in.

Hope it helps

Dave

RichPenny
    Free Member

Can you not break out the audio via the multi AV out on the back of the PS3?

grim168
    Free Member

I've got cheapo logitech 5.1 speakers running from mine and its brill for about 40 quid in the sale http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/234&cl=gb,en

Doesn't help in the slightest, but this is my set-up.

Play films on this…

And this…

Watched on this…

Running sound through this…

Driving these…

All mid-range stuff, but looks and sounds stunning with HD sound. Want to add one of these soon for playing internet radio and streaming music from my laptop through the amp – Logitech Squeezebox…

jon1973
    Free Member

I use a optical cable to my surround sound and it rules!

ditto

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

RichPenny – Member
    Can you not break out the audio via the multi AV out on the back of the PS3?

More info please, I'm not really a technophile, I'd just prefer to go for the most straightforward route.

RichPenny
    Free Member

In the box with the PS3 is a little scart type adaptor, which has Yellow, Red and White round sockets on the back. The red and white are left and right audio, so you can just plug these into the back of your surround sound amp. Mail in profile if you need any more help.

Sam

Agree with RichPenny, just take the red and white off the back of the PS3 and attach your surround cables to this. Turn off the TV sound altogether and away you go.

molgrips
    Free Member

The PS3 also has an optical out, which could plug straight into your home cinema system thingy like the Sky does.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

OK, home cinema thingy is a cheap set up, so doubt that it could cope with an optical out, the Sky connects simply via an AV lead, very low tech.

Looks like a trip into the loft might be needed as the PS3 box is currently up there, but these things are usually around as an accessory anyway aren't they? When we got the PS3 we didn't even have a HD TV, so when we got the HD TV this time last year I just hooked things up via HDMI instead.

rkk01
    Free Member

All sound from our TV is routed via a Panasonic DVD / surround sound system.

This was via a menu setting on the TV – just set sound to external AV. Sky box and DVD / surround sound are connected to TV using SCART. PS3 via HDMI. All seems to work well.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Improving sound quality via PS3???’ is closed to new replies.