• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Improving A Lap Time
  • Shepdon
    Free Member

As title really how do the singletrack massive improve their cycling performance? I enjoy nice steady rides but now and again like to have a go at setting a personal best time around cwmcarn (local track). It just feels like I’m stuck in a rut and can’t get near my previous best of 55mins. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

jedi

stop trying too hard

sambob
    Free Member

Ride as hard as you can for about 8 weeks then try again.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CrombieCraig
    Free Member

Try doing a bit of running as an alternative to cycling and add in some sprint intervals when your out cycling, this will improve your recovery time and ultimately improve your anerobic threshold or whatever its called. This will allow you to work harder for longer and get you closer to that PB.
    That’s my tuppence worth anyway!

LoCo
    Free Member

You gain on the uphills at Cwmcarn so train for better climbing/fitness, a 55 isn’t too shabby mind you 😀

You could do some resistance work by towing me up the climb if you like too 😆

cullen-bay
    Free Member

do threshold stuff to improve more quickly. works for me.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

If you are the type of person that likes detail and plans then get a hrm and set yourself a plan. ime it’s unreal what you can achieve with a plan, a mix of activity (long and slow along with short and fast) combined with rest days. And a skills course for the downs!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Go slower to go faster….sounds like a Jedi’ism 😉

Surfr
    Free Member

Hill Intervals, 2x20s, TABATA, 3minsOn2minsOff x 7, 1 min over 1 min under x 15, that sort of thing.

Taz

I went from 55 to 49 mins at Cwm Carn this summer.

3 things drove that

Road riding (sorry but it just gives you the leg power that is needed for the CC climb 🙁 )

Lost ~ 1 stone in weight (not unrelated to comment 1)

Weds 6am informal races against my mates round the Timberland trail. In other words other really hard (but fun) riding that sharpens the fitness and the skills

HTH

mrmo
    Free Member

how well do you know the track? i pootled round in 1hr10 on sunday, and a fair amount of time was lost by getting caught behind slower riders, and not knowing what was round the corner.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Improving A Lap Time’ is closed to new replies.