Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • imported reptiles
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

i dont like this at all… its not fair to the reptile… Discuss…
    people who capture snakes from the Amazon/Brazil then send them onto the 'reptile shows' up and down the country, i just dont think its fair that lets say a week ago they were happily residing in their own habitat freely, then they get caught and shipped around in god knows what conditions, then thrown into a tank (that mite not be the correct temperature etc, scenerio ::: as one guy recently said the other day he saw this snake on the bottom of the cage floor with its mouth open (obviously distressed as the pet shop hadnt a clue how to look after it, then this guy bought it…took it home to rescue it and look after it properly..next minuite it dies with all the change of habitat that had gone on previously…. i just feel sorry for them thats all…..
    pet shops shouldnt be aloud to sell exotic snakes that have been 'live caught' from other countrys…cos they dont know how to look after them and set up the correct temperature for them…. 😕
    there's a guy in America who knows sooo much about snakes especially Amazon Basin snakes and he says 70 percent of live caught snakes usually die within a few weeks of being caught due to the changes within its usual habitat that its used to living in….

MrNutt
    Free Member

a dead snake is a good snake in my opinion, nasty poisonous hoses of painful death that they are! if it wasn't for them we'd all be riding heavenly singletrack in the garden of eden right now!

timdrayton
    Free Member

odd post?!

dont think your going to get many people disagreeing with your animal cruelty is bad theme……

but it isnt the habitat change that kills snakes, its lack of water, heat, adequate shelter, and pests (mites worms etc) and dirty containers.

most snakes die in captivity due to chest infections, they only have 1 lung so are particularly prone to respiratory conditions.

as long as they are quarantined, or treated for pests, snakes are probably one of the best animals to capture live (unless they endangered) and ship around, as long as their basic needs are met, they are far easier to keep successfully than tropical fish or a cat or dog.

they dont need big enclosures, (most move very little in the wild) they dont need toys or adornments in their cages, they just need the right amount of heat and shelters and water, and for their enclosures to be cleaned regularly.

I once had an 6 foot ratsnake shipped from a reptile shop up north in a big bag and a temperature controlled polystyrene container.

it was fine, lived for its full life span (exceeded its natural span actually), bred happily and was a very happy snake as far as i can tell…

Hadge
    Free Member

The vast majority of snakes sold in the UK are captive bred so are not taken from the wild. It's the usual "hatred/dislike" of snakes but I guess you'll go all gooey eyed when you see a nice marine tank with lovely "Dory" Regal Tangs in them yet it's virtually impossible to breed marine fish and 99% are imported, travelling many many hundreds of miles and some of those die in transit but nothings said about them as they look so stunning.

dicky
    Free Member

In response to the OP – it's not just restricted to reptiles though, you can apply the same argument to pretty much any wild animal captured for the pet trade eg fish, birds, amphibians. Best way to combat it is reduce the demand and if you want to keep such animals then ensure you buy captive bred stock

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘imported reptiles’ is closed to new replies.