Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Impact on carbon fork
  • vd

Sounds stupid but….caught a swinging metal tin in a plastic bag between carbon fork and a spoke, causing the spoke to kink and rim to pull out of true. Going uphill slowly at the time, but fork is marked to about 0.5 mm depth, about 1.5cm long on the inside of the blade . Ignore? Panic? Any testing possible for reassurance or would it just be cheaper to buy a new fork?

luked2
    Free Member

Can you take a photo and send it to the manufacturers for advice?

I asked On-One about care of my fork, and that's what they suggested.

wwaswas

is the carbon scratched at all or is it just the clear coating on the outside that's damaged?

Swalsey
    Free Member

I'd be worried only if the carbon is damaged, 0.5mm sounds to shallow to get to the structural carbon – but a LBS should be of help, or a photo to the manufacturer as mentioned above

vd

I will take a closer look tonight. It looks like a graze on the coating and no indentation, but it was a crush impact.

Thanks

Sam
    BigDummy
    Free Member

I vote for ignore. If all users of carbon equipment really trod such a fine line between safety and doom the makers would be long out of business. 😀

nickc

My road bike has a couple of gouges on the right fork leg that sound just like that, they've been there as long as I've had the bike, I've ignored them completely, just cosmetic.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Impact on carbon fork’ is closed to new replies.