• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ajf.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Imac or Macbook pro (web dev/slightly techie content)
  • ajf
    Free Member

Currently own a power pc ibook, work on a pc so no arguments about mac or pc. I want a mac!

Decided 4g ram and newer processer i3 i5

Issue I have is imac or macbook pro. Understand more bang for your buck on a imac but the payoff is portability.

Just wondered what others who are web developer/software dev people chose and why? How that works for them? If you got an imac, does it bother you the lack of portability? If you got a macbook does screen size bother you? Or do you have a seperate monitor?

Been hovering over the buy button but just cannot decide which one to click?

EDIT: Suppose I should add I plug my ibook into a monitor to do most in depth work but unplug for sitting in front of tv. BUT would still own the power pc so home portability isn’t too much of an issue as current mac would be the front room internet browser

peajay

Not much help to you but I got my new Imac yesterday very pleased with it, better spec for the same price mb pro, portability not important, though had initialy planned the pro but once I had a good look at both in the flesh it had to be the mac, so cool, rumor is the new pro next april ish will have solid state memory as per the new air, that could swing it for me if I was looking then.
    PJ.

_tom_
    Free Member

iMac better value and a bigger screen. I dunno if I could handle such a small screen on the MBP for anything other than general net browsing. Photoshop, Logic, FCP etc would be a nightmare on it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ajf
    Free Member

rumor is the new pro next april ish will have solid state memory as per the new air,

Interesting, although wouldn’t this affect performance for labour intensive tasks? I suppose apple know best on that though. They seem to know how to squeeze best performance out of the spec. Can’t wait til spring though. VAT and laid up time with surgery in new year means spare cash burning holes in pockets.

I dunno if I could handle such a small screen on the MBP for anything other than general net browsing

See this is my dilemma, mac book pro means using another monitor regardless but expect the imac would stay tucked away for most of its life in a separate room. Could I handle a new toy being tucked away as a pure work computer?

Heart says macbook pro
    Tight yorkshireman says imac

ajf
    Free Member

Balls, they were talking about a special offer one day only. Expected more that £80 off on over £k of purchase

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/campaigns/holiday/giftguide/black_friday?mco=MjAwOTc1OTY

Not really a special offer

_tom_
    Free Member

Could spend a load extra and get a 15″ or 17″ MBP, but at that price it gets a bit stupid. Know any students? Apple do a nice student discount – I’m gonna have one by next August as that’s when my sisters student discount runs out, at which point nobody in the family will get such discounts for a long time 😆

ajf
    Free Member

was looking 15″ as min. My current 12″ is not sufficient.

Student discount on refurbs is minimal but yes can get student discount.

Anyway the credit card has now got a 12 hour reprieve as beer has run out at bed is calling

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

macBookPro is the more adaptable option so long as you’re happy to use a second screen, I’ve been working like that for about the last year. Couldn’t work for any length of time without the second screen though.

You might want to factor in the cost of a mouse and a keyboard. I found that I needed to have the macBook elevated to get a comfortable viewing position which made the main keyboard and trackpad not much use. I used to prop the macbook up on four coke cans balanced on a ream of paper but have since bought a very nice but overpriced stand.

ajf
    Free Member

prop the macbook up on four coke cans balanced on a ream of paper

That sounds like a classy workdesk 😉

yes got mac keyboard and a pc mouse so no isssues.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’m the living embodiment of class.

The coke cans served a practical purpose, minimal contact area to get a bit of airflow going on beneath the macBook, it does get very, very hot. As does the iMac.

ajf
    Free Member

they do get hot don’t they. Ibook is on a leather work folder if on lap as I may want another kid some day.

Found another beer so the credit card ain’t safe yet

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Imac or Macbook pro (web dev/slightly techie content)’ is closed to new replies.