Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • iMac Antivirus Software. Help
  • slightbreeze
    Free Member

Just bought a new iMac for work and this being my first Mac its taking a bit of time getting used to. On my old PC I used Avast as my antivirus which worked well i think, my computer knowledge is fairly low.
    Wondered if any of you had any advice about what antivirus software I should put on the iMac.
    Cheers

AndyP
    Free Member

Wondered if any of you had any advice about what antivirus software I should put on the iMac.
    none. you don't need any 🙂

richc
    Free Member

as ^ said. Most OS's design security 'in' so don't need AV scanners. M$ on the other hand rely on sheep buying their shit regardless of how crappy it is.

fozzybear
    Free Member

u don't need to bother with mac's as they are so frowned on by virus programmers and cover such a small percentage of "PC" sales no one bothers writing viruses for them.

why infect less than 1% of the PC's worldwide when you can infect "PCWorld" buyers PC's much easier and with a greater coverage scope.

Jamie
    Free Member

Thread descending into Mac Vs PC in 5….4…3….2… 😉

There is the odd Trojan out there so I use Trend, sorts mine out.
    Are you running a virtual windows?

GrahamS

People who thinks Macs are immune to viruses have drunk a bit too much from the cup of Jobs.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Most OS's design security 'in' so don't need AV scanners

hollow laughter :o)

tomdebruin
    Free Member

http://www.clamxav.com/

never used it myself but had it recommended to me…also it's just about the only one out there.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just for balance i have been using Macs since OS9 and have never had a virus.

….and i visit alot of dodgy sites 😉

pjbarton
    Free Member

Macs are still on 0 viruses (that'll do owt) and 0 trojans. People say there have been 23 viruses for macosx but i've never met anyone who's ever known anyone who's seen one. I think 0 is more likely at the moment.

Around 100,000 viruses for windows.

The only real mac exploit involved physical contact with the machine!! usb stick.

Unix is inherently more secure.

The only '5% so why bother' argument is a load of rubbish – it's a huge target, mainly because mac users go round saying they're so secure.

deft
    Free Member

Don't have your main account as an administrator and you've nothing to worry about

GrahamS

Unix is inherently more secure.

This is true, but it doesn't make it immune.

GrahamS

Apple tells Mac users: Get anti-virus (The Register, Dec 2008)

Apple update plugs security vulns (The Register, Jan 2009)

Apple fans targeted by smut-punting malware (The Register, June 2009)

Edit: I'm not saying that *nix/Macs aren't more secure and less likely to be hit, I'm just saying that they are not magic and have vulnerabilities like any other OS.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘iMac Antivirus Software. Help’ is closed to new replies.