Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • I'm stuck!
  • hitman
    Free Member

Have been suffering from some severe sciatic pain since yesterday. Today woke about an 1 1/2 ago and spent that time trying to get out of bed and to the toilet! Managed it but was shaking with the pain and am now back in bed wondering what to do? Know that movement often helps but can barely move and wondering how to get dressed! Also going to start to get hungry and desperately need some pain relief.
    Any advice, particularly from sciatic pain sufferers or is it a case of MTFU?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Go to the doctor. They'll organise a physio appointment for you. If you can't wait, look in the yellow pages for a private physio. I'd go to the doctors first just to make sure it isn't anything serious.

hitman
    Free Member

Intend to do that but as it's a Sunday it seems a long way away! Girlfriend is 5 hours away at the moment and friends are on holiday. Closest people I know are two hours drive away so anything I do is going to have to be on my own. At the moment concerned about being able to get dressed let alone make it to the doctors 🙁
    sorry to sound so p****d off but I'm in agony !

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Well, if it was me I'd wait and see if it eases off then go see a doctor, or if it doesn't ease off then phone an ambulance. Not much else you can do as I see it.

Unless you just want sympathy, in which case you have mine. Sciatic pain sucks the big one.

stratobiker
    Free Member

First off you need to take some good pain relief.

Next…..
    Work out a plan (maybe to get pain relief medication from somewhere). Then take it step by manageable step, but stick with the plan. So if step one is put socks on so be it. Even if step one is put one sock on.

Sounds like you're gonna have a long day. Bon Courage.

SB

hitman
    Free Member

Good pain relief is the key I'm sure. Recently threw out some Paramol which is very strong but spaced me out too much, made me feel sick etc – wish I had it now! Only thing I've got is b****y paracetamol!
    Sympathy is good but genuinely concerned earlier on what I was going to do. Now feeling more positive and am aiming to get dressed and to my kitchen for food plus painkillers 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Sounds like a slipped disc (prolapsed disc), been there, done that. Get to your GP tomorrow.

hora
    Free Member

Can you still service your morning glory?

Drac

doesn't ease off then phone an ambulance

Oh please he's not going to die.

Ok lying in bed won't help. No need to get dressed try to get downstairs and sitting up. Ring nhs direct and explain it's an on going problem ask for an out of hours dr.

hitman
    Free Member

Cheers Hora, that part of me is still working – body is a strange thing, in agony, can't move but …,
    TBH I don't think it's a slipped disc, just really bad sciatic pain. Had this once b4 about 3 years ago and spent a weeks holiday in agony 🙁 On a positive note, I made the kitchen and took some painkillers, had some food and a cup of tea and feel much better. Currently rooted to the spot planning my next move 🙂

bluemooner
    Free Member

how you doin hitman..
    im no doctor but neurofen/ibuprofen is what ive taken for back spasm's.
    are you moving around yet?
    if youre in that much grief i wouldnt hesitate,get yourself to A+E

Spongebob
    Free Member

Sounds like you need proper medical advice and attention. Why don't you call NHS Direct?

Hope you feel better soon!

hitman
    Free Member

how you doin hitman..
    im no doctor but neurofen/ibuprofen is what ive taken for back spasm's.
    are you moving around yet?
    if youre in that much grief i wouldnt hesitate,get yourself to A+E

I know that ibrupofen is recommended for sciatic pain but I can't take it any more as was recently prescribed 2400mg per day and it messed up my stomach! I'm thus limited to paracetomol but what I am doing is icing my back to deaden the pain. I know some people may frown on this but am being very careful when moving around to limit my range of movement and at least its giving some pain relief.

Sounds like you need proper medical advice and attention. Why don't you call NHS Direct?

Hope you feel better soon!

Very close to doing this this morning when I literally could not move, but couldn't face the embarassment of them having to break down my front door and stretcher me out of my bedroom – by that time if I hadn't made the toilet there would have been other things to deal with!

I am up now but its going to be a long day – wish I could get out on my bike, its a beautiful day here

johnners
    Free Member

NHS Direct provide advice on the phone – they won't break your door down. Stop messing about posting on here and ring them.

hitman
    Free Member

NHS Direct provide advice on the phone – they won't break your door down. Stop messing about posting on here and ring them.

cheers 🙂

hora
    Free Member

"Why didn't you call earlier"?

"I was seeking advice on a bicycle website"

jon1973
    Free Member

A lot of people have suffered from this, so posting on here isn't a bad place to get some advice. Plus NHS direct is ****, and won't tell you any more that you'll hear on here.

What really worked for me was physiotherapy. I was lucky enough to arrange it through work, because I'm still waiting for an NHS appointment after 4 months. I do exercises every morning now, that suppress it well. Pay for it if necessary, because it will change your life.

Drac

Hitman pleased your sensible and not bothering a+e if it's still uncomfortable and now your mobile visit a walk in centre or minor injuries. They may prescribe you something stronger and should be a pharmacy near by that can help.

birky
    Free Member

http://hubpages.com/hub/lower-back-pain-disc-problems-sciatica

Scroll down to exercise 3 … this is what the physio got me doing when I had probs a few years ago.

hitman
    Free Member

Hitman pleased your sensible and not bothering a+e if it's still uncomfortable and now your mobile visit a walk in centre or minor injuries. They may prescribe you something stronger and should be a pharmacy near by that can help.

cheers – if I go its going to be for the drugs more than anything!

Scroll down to exercise 3 … this is what the physio got me doing when I had probs a few years ago.
    cheers – will have a look now but TBH I do regular stretching, strengthening of core etc but have backed off slightly in the last two weeks and with a reduction in aerobic exercise this has caught me out…

ken_shields
    Free Member

I can't believe no one has asked hitman where in the country he is in case someone on here could give him a lift somewhere

Where are you in the country fella?

hitman
    Free Member

I can't believe no one has asked hitman where in the country he is in case someone on here could give him a lift somewhere

Where are you in the country fella?

Cheers Ken, nice thought but I'm feeling slightly better now and am able to move if very slowly. Going to spend the day stretching using a quad buster (like a foam roller) on my legs which I've found helps. TBH I was doing strcthing etc on Sat morning at 3am when I could feel this coming on and I thought I'd beaten it but this morning I genuinely thought I was stuck in bed…..
    I'm in West Wales BTW 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

When this happened to me i called NHS Direct.

Their advice was anti-inflammatories and the application of heat via a hot water bottle.
    Make sure you wrap the hot water bottle in a towel first to avoid burns though. Much better for you than ice believe me, i tried both!

It happened to me in B&Q – they had to take me out of there on a bloody trolley! Took me 25minutes to get up the stairs and a week in bed.

Good luck. try to stay as mobile as possible once the initial spasm has eased.

teagirl
    Free Member

Go on NHS website rather than ringing, may get advice on getting analgesia that may be more effective, I found regular paracetamol, 6hrly useful. Use it like that for 48hrs, move around and if no better on Monday get to see GP stressing you must work.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘I'm stuck!’ is closed to new replies.