Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • I'm so close to pulling the trigger – Mukluk or Caribou?
  • dazzlingboy

Ach I don’t even know why, but I’m obsessed with getting one of these.

Help me out – which one? I’ve decided I want a 170mm rear which is bringing me down to these 2. Can’t find much info on the Caribou other than what is on the Genesis website.

Thoughts?

PS before I get told to p1ss off to UK Fat Bikes, I’ve tried to sign up there without joy, so have returned to the default source of all bike knowledge opinion.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Very good reviews on the caribou…
    Mukluk also very good!

Send another request to uk fatbikes, masses of info over there!

bedmaker

In true STW style, On one fatty. I’ve had both and the Fatty is the better bike unless you really need the adjustable drops

scotroutes

9zero7
    Fatback

No need for your choice of wider dropouts limit you so much.

If you are interested in the weight at all, the Mukluk is around 3-4lbs lighter.

edward2000
    Free Member

vorlich
    Free Member

Mukluk will do 29+, Caribou won’t. Mukluk has adjustable chainstay length, thanks to alternator dropouts.

@bedmaker Mukluk geo was changed for 2014, Fatty may not be better anymore. 😉

T1000
    Free Member

Better depends on what your going to use it for….

Do you ride on beaches? Do you want to do some bike packing?

The qbp bikes and the Caribou have v handy bottle bosses on the forks (+ salsas geometry has changed)

Do you ride mostly ride single track maybe a fatty or a puffin could be for you

Lots of other great frame options out there as posts above

6079smithw
    Free Member

Both are way overpriced. Import a Motobecane fat bike instead

dazzlingboy

Bikepacking, beaches, exploring is the aim. Not singletrack so convinced that the Mukluk or Caribou are the way forward.

Both are way overpriced.

Yes probably, but show me a new bike that isn’t!

6079smithw
    Free Member

dazzlingboy – Member

Yes probably, but show me a new bike that isn’t!

dazzlingboy

Anyone know how to get access to uk fatbikes? Been trying for about a week and everytime I get the “you will be verified by the admin” or somesuch. No email received. Feeling unwanted. 🙁

I recall these is someone from this parish connected with the site?

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I got in the second time I asked 🙂

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Where does one get the motobecane from then?

6079smithw
    Free Member

RestlessNative – Member

Where does one get the motobecane from then? Are you a Big Country fan? They’re awesome.
    Click the pic. You’ll have to use myus.com or somesuch but it would still be cheaper than a Mukluk or Caribou

RestlessNative
    Free Member

yes, well spotted!

will have a click, ta

vorlich
    Free Member

Both are way overpriced.

My Mukluk was worth every penny. YMMV

CheesybeanZ

Have you seen the 2 mukluk’s on ebay .

drofluf
    Free Member

Anyone know how to get access to uk fatbikes? Been trying for about a week and everytime I get the “you will be verified by the admin” or somesuch. No email received. Feeling unwanted.

I recall these is someone from this parish connected with the site?

What user name are you trying to use on UK Fat Bikes?

SidewaysTim

The Caribou has a nicer spec for the money than the Mukluk, but both are equally awesome.

bearGrease

Tim, is the Caribou as capable on normal trails as the Mukluk?

SidewaysTim

The new Mukluk is supposedly less ‘snow bike’ than previous, but the Genesis has been designed for riding in the UK. Not much to choose between them really.

bearGrease

Thanks!

vorlich
    Free Member

Tim, is the Caribou as capable on normal trails as the Mukluk?

One thing I’ve noticed going from my Soul to the Mukluk; increased chance of pedal strikes, nothing that can’t be overcome by technique/awareness though.

I assume this is due to the BB drop, so not unique to the Mukluk (60mm), Caribou is 65mm. OO Fatty is only 47.5mm so might be better for trails, guess it depends on your intended use.

coastkid
    Free Member

If you can get up to North Berwick in East Lothian (25 mins on the train from Edinburgh) in April there will be at least 60+ fat bikes at FORTH FAT on the weekend of April 5th – 7th, probably every model of fatbike made that is available to buy here in the UK there so you could come along to North Berwick late Saturday affy and have a go of a few :-

Link to FORTH FAT details…

Don`t get too conserned about the weight thing with them, if you do then just go 29+ for the speed. All new fatbikes now mostly have single wall drilled rims which make the biggest differance to riding feel to the weight. They are all good, but i am a bit biased to fatbikes 😀

If i bought another i would be waiting for the 2nd generation of Genesis Caribou`s as it will also be 29+ compatable 🙂

dazzlingboy

What user name are you trying to use on UK Fat Bikes?

Same as here.

Yes have been watching those mukluks on ebay but think mediums are too small for me – 5’11” – I think I’m on the border between medium large. Mukluk owners – any ideas on sizing?

dazzlingboy

29+ – are Pugsley/Mukluk/Caribou etc 29+ compatible?

EDIT – I see Mukluks are.

dazzlingboy

FORTH FAT

Looks good – will try to drop in on the Saturday – I’m in Edinburgh so easy enough.

vorlich
    Free Member

I’m a touch over 6′, very happy on my large Muk.

drofluf
    Free Member

Anyone know how to get access to uk fatbikes? Been trying for about a week and everytime I get the “you will be verified by the admin” or somesuch. No email received. Feeling unwanted.

Apparently you were approved a week ago – suggestion was to check you spam folder for the approval e-mail.

drofluf
    Free Member

@dazzlingboy – you also used a different e-mail address from the one in your profile here

coastkid
    Free Member

dazzlingboy – Member
    29+ – are Pugsley/Mukluk/Caribou etc 29+ compatible?

EDIT – I see Mukluks are.

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Pugsley deft is!, here is my Pumpkin KramPug 🙂

15th Jan; 2014 Bike line up 018 by coastkid71, on Flickr

And now with 29er mud tyres this now for winter until the 29+ Dirt Wizards are available

2nd Feb; 29er & 29+, Messing around in the Garage 019 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Plenty of mud clearance! :mrgreen:

2nd Feb; 29er & 29+, Messing around in the Garage 018 by coastkid71, on Flickr

dazzlingboy

@drofluf – in now – many thanks 😀 It was in spam folder. I actually looked in there but there is so much spam in there (‘000s) that I missed it first time.

dazzlingboy

Yes this 29+ is a bonus. Something I didn’t know about before today but a wet day and lots of internet research and I now understand the benefits!

On that basis, the drivetrain and cheap tubing I’m leaning away from the Caribou towards the Mukluk. Just can’t figure out sizing – I’m right between. Should really wait till the Forth Fat to try some out but doubt I can wait that long……

chainslapp
    Free Member

Im 5′ 11″ and initially purchased a Mukluk 3 last year in a medium. After trying a large Mukluk (which I got for my 17 year old son), I decided that I was on the upper limits of the medium and replaced my Mukluk 3 with a 2014 2. Fantastic piece of kit and I go nowhere near a beach either. Ive also had an On One Fatty, but prefer the quality of the Salsa TBH.

dazzlingboy

So you went from Medium to Large yes? That’s exactly the kind of feedback I’d like to hear – I suspect I’d be the same.

chainslapp
    Free Member

Yep, lay back post on the Medium and in line on the large, but the large just feels better. I still have the Medium 3 which my youngest son uses and if I ride it now after having the large, it feels too small.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘I'm so close to pulling the trigger – Mukluk or Caribou?’ is closed to new replies.