Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • I'm posting this from Linux
  • aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

does that make me a geek now??

joking, got to say though it seems way faster than windows. ok it doesn't look as flashy but its got a certain charm and my keyboard and track pad seem to be working better (in windows they have a mind of their own)

any recommendations for software?

aP
    Free Member

Is that one of the Greek Islands, you know next to the one where all the women in comfortable shoes go on holiday?

Olly
    Free Member

welcome.

the main benefit i find is being able to outsmug the apple-monks.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I'm posting from Unix, well osx

jon1973
    Free Member

it doesn't look as flashy

What flavour of Linux are you using?. I recently installed Ubuntu on my laptop an it is every bit as flashy (if not more) than when I ran Windows Vista.

AdamW
    Free Member

I'm posting from HP-UX. If need be I can also post from Tru64, Solaris or AIX.

So there! 😀

nickname
    Free Member

Same here, my hdd with windows on died last night, so i'm stuck with linux for now. Tis the fresh 9.10 ubuntu install and working nicely so far 🙂

oh, and as for things to install – this page is quite nice:

http://blog.thesilentnumber.me/2009/09/top-things-to-do-after-installing.html

I also install wine, closely followed by downloading http://www.spotify.com/ for all my music 🙂

brakeswithface

Posting this from Fedora at work, have Ubuntu at home. Got plenty of recommendations for software, depends what kind of software you want!

retro83
    Free Member

I'm posting this from NetBSD running on my toaster

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

jon1973 – Member

it doesn't look as flashy

What flavour of Linux are you using?. I recently installed Ubuntu on my laptop an it is every bit as flashy (if not more) than when I ran Windows Vista.

using Ubuntu 9.10…….flashy's mabye not the right term, but it's making me think that windows has a tendency to over do the shading/light effects in vista

clubber
    Free Member

my keyboard and track pad seem to be working better (in windows they have a mind of their own)

you're righfdjhkst, I'm findjdfalkjfklsding that I regularfjkldflksdlkfklsdfly have problems typigsfdjgnksjdfjksng while using Windowsdjflksdfklshjs 🙄

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

using Ubuntu 9.10.

Was it a clean install or an upgrade?

I had problems with the trackpad and Firefox performance is awful since upgrading from Ubuntu 8.something. Disappointing as I've found Ubuntu to be fast and reliable.

For software – what do you want?
    I have OpenOffice (words, spreadsheeting, presentstions), openProj (project management, compatible with MS-Project via xml), Blue Fish (web coding), MySQL, GIMP (image editor). All available through Synaptic package manager

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I put Ubuntu on an old laptop at home & cant make the dvd player work (mind you I am not 100% sure it played them in windows, but another apparently identical one does)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘I'm posting this from Linux’ is closed to new replies.