Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • I'm off out for a while, a long while…
  • NZCol

Some of you might be interested to know that I am about to head off to do another expedition adventrue race. XPD in Cairns Australia this time. Should be about 900km all told and non-stop.

We are Team 4 – Securify.co.nz, realistically we're aiming for top 5 again, anything better would be nice, anything worse will not be a disaster its just what happens in these long races. Should be about 140hrs with around 6-8 of sleep inc the halfway stop where i don;t like to sleep because i seize up otherwise !

We have live GPS tracking this year via Spot trackers and you can follow us via the RACE WEBSITE and from there there's links back to our team site and FB page etc.

Wish me luck 🙂
    EDIT: More info on us HERE. Big ups to our sponsors for ponying up gear etc and my wife for being basically ignored for the last 3 months !

colnagokid

Sounds fun 😯 Good luck!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Good luck Col!

Will follow your progress.

romster
    Free Member

Big respect!! Good luck fella….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I'm wishing you luck 8)

sweepy
    Free Member

If your looking at top five in that you dont need luck

Travis

Have an excellent race, and a brilliant time… (jealous)

NZCol

Oh i dunno there's always a small element of luck that things go smoothly – maybe especialyl so with the amount of eating/biting/stinging/killing things that are in that area.

funkynick

Bonkers… utterly bonkers… but why do I find it kind of appealing when I am a fat knacker?

Good luck!

sweepy
    Free Member

you could get bummed to death by a kangaroo, you'd still finish about a week and a half ahead of me 🙁

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Oh i dunno there's always a small element of luck that things go smoothly

Well, let me add mine to luck bank, good luck man 🙂

NZCol

Bonkers… utterly bonkers… but why do I find it kind of appealing when I am a fat knacker?

By the time you finish i guarantee you'll have shed some weight !

you could get bummed to death by a kangaroo,

Preferable to being bummed to death by an australian !

Thanks all, have a look at the tracking when it goes on (Wed 18th i think we start), should be quite embarassing to spiral around at 4am looking for a fckn control in a field of cane (we did this for 4 hours 2 races ago!). We hadn;t slept for 30 hours and I'm not doing that again as it was all bit out-of-body for a while there.

epicyclo

I live there part of the year – great place. As you say there's plenty things that can kill you 🙂

You'll need to drink more water than you can imagine, although it is pretty cold there now – only going up to 30 degrees Celsius, but it plummets to around 22 degrees at night. 🙂

Right now there is a worry about cholera, and dengue fever is troublesome again.

theotherjonv

you could get bummed to death by a kangaroo, you'd still finish about a week and a half ahead of me

I read that 15 minutes into election day, and there won't be a more quotable quote all day.

pitduck
    Free Member

good luck and enjoy 😀

Ambrose

Rooting and Tooting for you and all the best vibes from the Costa del South Wales!

GO GET IT! 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

oh my goodness!

good luck.

farm-boy

I'm looking forward to following the WA racers this year. Hopefully the SPOT trackers will make it slightly more interesting.

vinnyeh

Good luck.
    Ideal opportunity to bag a few cane toads.

obirobkeno
    Free Member

Good luck! 😉

mogrim

Good luck, I'd love to do something like that!

NZCol

Have finally made it back to a cold NZ after the balmy warmth of Cairns.
    Great race but not quite the result we had in mind with a very sick teammate 4 hours into a brutal 19hr paddle/portage/grovel. Meant we had to move from race mode to survival mode to get him out and that was pretty much our race. Got him out and to hospital and managed to get back on course for a few other legs but purely for social reasons. Bit gutting really as we were trucking along nicely until then in the top 10 but thats adventure racing for you. Probably the most extreme course i have ever raced in in terms of isolation – the trek in the middle had a full 1:50000 topo map with not one track or 4wd on it – just features. It was brilliant ! The 19hr paddle on the Walsh river was pretty exciting too and not something that is done a lot so big ups to the race director for putting us out there.
    Anyway i'm full of the flu so I'm off for more tea and sympathy and unpack all my stinky gear.

Pigface
    Free Member

I think most roo's are Australian so theoreticaly 😉

Good luck, hope the heat and humidity up there wont spoil the fun.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘I'm off out for a while, a long while…’ is closed to new replies.