Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • I'm forever swapping tyres ….
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I see this malarky differently now. At some point due to the variable terrain we ride on any tyre will be a compremise. To that end I've kept Racing Ralphs on all year. I might change a bit later, but try something very general purpose like Schwalbes Jimmy, it's certainly cheap it clears well and has usefull off camber grip.
    I was going to fit Rocket Rons for winter but they're probably a bit thin, so I'll almost certainly now end up with cheap and cheerful Jimmy's.

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

DUPLICATE POST – ADMIN PSE DELETE! 😳

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

always remember speed is your friend!

😯 😯

glenp
    Free Member

On flat dry tarmac is it easier to balance at walking pace or a fast running pace? Fast right? That doesn't cease to be true just because the ground is wet and squishy.

Clobber
    Free Member

At Stripe…

2.1 Sharks have a serious bite pattern. Fine in all mud except sticky Cambs clay!

What do you use in the cambs clay? everything I've tried just clogs

joemarshall
    Free Member

I got told ages ago, that the best thing to do in mud is usually to ride in the lowest part of the trail / rut.

I attempted to ignore this good advice on Sunday morning, trying to ride a less slippery looking but higher line round the side of a big muddy dip, and have a cut and a bruise on my elbow from the ensuing sideways slide into the dip. Next time I shall experiment with doing the right thing and see if that hurts less.

Joe

oldgit
    Free Member

At Clobber

Same here with the Bedfordshire clay. I found mud tyres like Trailraker and MudX too slow and very hard work in the clay. But tyres like that Jimmy with shallower and wider spaced knobs work well
    I have also found the much 'dised' Speed King pretty usefull in the gloop.

Clobber
    Free Member

oldgit,

My friend seems to have success with Conti Explorers but they clog with me but I'm a bit heavier.

Firemud Pro in 1.8 are the best at staying clog free and gripping the mud for me but are fairly draggy everywhere else.

Thanks for the advice on the Jimmy's I will consider a set next! What size do you use?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Faster = Bouncing over stuff

Slower = Stopping dead and hurting yourself!

It really works

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

I'm having another go on my Pana Cinders, 2.25f / 2.1r, running at 30psi. Anything dodgy and I'll assume that it's my technique and will seek to improve this.

I must go on a MTB skills course one day. 😳

joolsburger
    Free Member

Every bad crash I have had has been going dead slow, well, except the ones that haven't!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I tend to run one of three tyres:

Round the woods in proper winter gloop/mud it's 2.0" Mud X's @ 35psi

Anything rocky out come the High Rollers in F-2.35"/R-2.1" @ 32psi

Rest of the time Ignitors in either 2.1" or 2.35" eXCeption Series.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘I'm forever swapping tyres ….’ is closed to new replies.