Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • I'm a ****. Help me decide.
  • julianwilson
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member

I’m really surprised the weights are so similar.

My wife’s bike has the same rims as the giant, they are massive! I reckon if you switched wheelsets on those two they weights would be a lot less similar!
    But I would still keep the cdf.

househusband

Has the CdF got the Archetype rims..?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My croix de fer is 22.5lbs with the steel fork, so you can drop more weight of that Genesis.

I would keep the genesis.

jamiep
    Free Member

Shirley they are kinda similar – keep the one that you like riding the mostest?

Jamie
    Free Member

My croix de fer is 22.5lbs with the steel fork, so you can drop more weight of that Genesis.

Interesting. Specs?

To be honest, I was never intending to go lightweight with the Croix De Fer. It has a mahoosive Thomson post which could probably use a trim, m530 pedals are quite weighty etc, but any tips received.

*starts drafting for sale post*

My wife’s bike has the same rims as the giant, they are massive! I reckon if you switched wheelsets on those two they weights would be a lot less similar!
    But I would still keep the cdf.

*checks figures*

650g-ish between the Croix De Fer and the Giant when both using the same Kinesis Wheels.

bol

Pro6 FTW. Similar weight to the giant, but better looking. But then in true STW fashion I’m just recommending the bike I chose.

flange
    Free Member

I’d sell the giant and buy the niner rlt

Jamie
    Free Member

I’d sell the giant and buy the niner rlt

If money was no object, and Shand didn’t exist, it would have been the RLT originally. Not sure why, as it’s a ‘gravel’ bike, I just likes it.

Anyway. A decision has been probably, more or less, 110%, maybe, possibly, made.

Basil

Flange
    I have emailed you a couple of times. Is it still for sale?
    James

Kryton57

How much do you want for the giant? It matches my road bike…

kcr
    Free Member

My Croix de Fer has rusted pretty badly in under two years, whereas the Giant is an alu frame, so that might be something to keep in mind.

Jamie
    Free Member

I imagine you’re not poking your fingers through it like a 1986 Ford Fiesta?

birney29
    Free Member

Kcr – can we see some pics of the rust? Have you contacted Genesis?

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Kcr. I would contact Genesis and send them some pictures. They may well warranty the frame if it hasn’t been abused. They are a helpful bunch.

cinnamon_girl

Poor Jamie. 😀

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Genesis because that Giant looks like shit

Jamie
    Free Member

Poor Jamie.

I don’t deserve your pity. I’m such a nobber sometimes.

*goes back to writing classified ad*

How much do you want for the giant? It matches my road bike…

Mail me if interested. It’s a small, btw.

cinnamon_girl

Jamie – making decisions is better than not making any! If this new one was lighter than it is then I guess that would sway you? I do share your pain, I’ve made so many mistakes with bikes and frames but it’s a learning curve.

Perhaps what’s needed is a spreadsheet with component weights and prices?

Jamie
    Free Member

Perhaps what’s needed is a spreadsheet with component weights and prices?

I think I might have to schedule kicking myself in the nuts for an hour solid, before resorting to component weight spreadsheets.

iainc

I’m sure I remember a comparison diagram and specs for genesis vs Arkose…… 🙂

yeah, in here

🙂 🙂

Houns

*sniggers*

tenfoot

Although a Giant fan, I’d keep the Genesis. Lovely bike, and they have been good to you.

bearnecessities

Shocking pansy distribution.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m sure I remember a comparison diagram and specs for genesis vs Arkose……

*adds Ian to the list*

sniggers

*underlines Houns existing entry on the list*

Houns

I best be top of the list

gogg
    Free Member

Are these available in 650b? That would reduce the weight and make them enduro-CX compatible.

Jamie
    Free Member

I best be top of the list

You’re up there, but not top.

*proof reads classified ad*

cinnamon_girl

Is it just the weight of the CdF? For a bike to be able to ride both on and off road then there has to be a compromise so what are you prepared to compromise on?

You’re getting in a two and eight!

RustySpanner

So, for your only bike, road and off road, you’ve chosen the heaviest frame with the least mud/tyre clearance? 😀

Superb.

mrblobby
    Free Member

*scanning classifieds*

cinnamon_girl

Is running Conti 32’s on my CdF.

HTH

😉

antigee

carlphillips – Member
    is that a huge set of tanga briefs on the washing line?

read 2.5 pages with some stuff about tyres but no answer to that or where they came from – what would Arnold Layne do?

Jamie
    Free Member

So, for your only bike, road and off road, you’ve chosen the heaviest frame with the least mud/tyre clearance?

I did warn you that I may:

….invoke the Molgrips Clause, and do the complete opposite of what you tell me…

Nothing is set in stone, tho. No chance to ride today, but going to take the TCX on a ride, with the stock wheels to really cut it off at the knees, tomorrow and make a final decision then.

read 2.5 pages with some stuff about tyres but no answer to that or where they came from – what would Arnold Layne do?

*ahem*

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Interesting. Specs?

Genesis stem/Salsa Cowbell bars/charge tape + some under tape gel strips
    Gore rideon brake cables/shimano gear cables
    105 10 speed levers
    use titanium seatpost
    old flite gel titanium saddle (not particularly light)
    Shimano CX50 chainset/CX70 front derailleur/ultegra BB
    Tiagra cassette
    KMC chain
    105 SS rear derailleur
    BB7 road brakes
    Stans Iron cross on Pro 2 Evo DT Supercomp spokes (1610g – not as light as Charlie the BM Stans Alphas…)
    XT Skewers
    Maxxis Raze tires run tubeless
    light eggbeater pedals

My mate has a retail croix and it is like a tank compared.

Jamie
    Free Member

What frame size?

Assuming it’s the same as mine, 52cm, I was struggling to see where I have .8kg extra heft.

…but then I saw you’re running tubeless, with tyres 100g each lighter than me, so that’s an instant 450g saved over my setup. I guess the rest is in the pedals, post, etc.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

pedals are light (titanium CBs)

seatpost is light
    saddle average – a charge spoon titanium is probably lighter, although not as comfortable.

My equilibrium is only a couple of lbs heavier :

cinnamon_girl

I find that whilst the CdF is heavy it doesn’t actually ride heavy, if that makes sense? Like the bomb proofness of it. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

if that makes sense?

Not really. 😛

cinnamon_girl

That’s cos you’re naughty and ride where you shouldn’t! I’ve had enough of lifting my mtb over fallen trees. 🙂

iainc

I’d second it not feeling heavy when riding. I go between it and a carbon defy and whilst very different, I don’t find the weight of the genesis hampers me..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘I'm a ****. Help me decide.’ is closed to new replies.