Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Ilkley Moor Access
  • Sancho
    Free Member

I know people have mentioned this before but here is the official line;
    If its old news then I apologise.

"Ilkley Moor Mountain Bike Protocol

1. Bradford Council Countryside and Rights of Way Service and the Mountain Bike Users who use Ilkley Moor share the following interests with regard to Ilkley Moor:
    a. Minimise conflict between users.
    b. Protect habitats and species – in particular ground nesting birds and wet heath vegetation communities.
    c. Minimise trail erosion.
    d. Protect the safety of all users.
    e. Maintain ongoing communication between statutory and regulatory agencies and user groups.
    f. Monitor the moorland environment and intervene when conflict or damage becomes unsustainable.
    g. Recognise mountain biking as one of a range of activities (all of which have some impact on the moorland environment) currently conducted on the moor.

2. The Ilkley Moor Management Plan – which was written by Bradford Council and approved by Natural England – states:

As a registered urban common, Ilkley Moor falls under the Law of Property Act 1925, which states that vehicles are not permitted – bicycles are classed as vehicles. It is therefore, forbidden to ride mountain bikes or any other bicycle on the moor other than across Keighley Road. The Act does, however, state that this is prohibited “without lawful authority” from the landowner. The use of Ilkley Moor by mountain bikes is being monitored and consideration will be given to allowing it where routes can sustain such use and where conflict with other users is minimised. Where there is evidence that bicycles are causing unreasonable damage, they will be prohibited.

3. Bradford Council – as the landowner of Ilkley Moor – grants lawful authority for Mountain Bike Users to ride on the trails on Ilkley Moor, except for those trails that are identified by Bradford Council as unsuitable for passage by any user. Such trails will be clearly marked.

4. When riding on Ilkley Moor, Mountain Bike Users agree to abide by the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA) UK Rules of the Trail.

5. Mountain Bike Users agree to give way to other moorland users to avoid conflict. See point 4of IMBA UK Rules of the Trail.

6. The follow locations are considered particularly vulnerable . Bradford Council intends to undertake remedial work to reinforce these trails by autumn 2010. In the meantime, Mountain Bike Users agree to treat these trails in a way that avoids or minimises damage (e.g. avoid riding on the trails in significantly wet conditions, avoid deviating from the trail).

a. The boardwalk on the Dick Hudson’s path
    b. The trail from Trig Point to Thimble Stones
    c. The trail on Crawshaw Moss (aka Red Bog)

7. Mountain Bike Users use the Moor at their own risk and no liability for injury to themselves or third parties will fall to the Council.

8. Creating obstacles or new trails on Ilkley Moor is prohibited.

9. Mountain Bike Users agree to actively promote this agreement.

10. Bradford Council, Natural England and Mountain Bike Users will continue ongoing communication through the Rombalds Moor Forum and Rombalds Moor Forum Steering Group.

In granting lawful authority, Bradford Council expects that
    Mountain Bike Users will comply with this protocol."

I have put it in as these are the councils words not mine.
    Also Im not sure but this would serve as a very useful refernce for any other groups struggling with cycle access.

mrelectric

Hello, As a Friends of Baildon Moor member, I am drafting a general use/access policy for Baildon Moor. One specific focus is to get a more formal acknowledgement from Bradford Council that off-road cycling is permitted on Baildon Moor, with some caveats.
    This is an Urban Common, as Ilkley Moor, so requires the landowner’s consent for such “reasonable recreational access”. I had only heard tell of the Ilkley Moor statement until now (I had not been able to find it before now). The proposals re MTBs on Baildon Moor would expected to be fairly similar to this, though I’d like to re-phrase it in places.
    I’m not looking to open a wide discussion here but would be interested in specific feedback on the previous post and if riders would be willing to abide by it on Baildon Moor- most already do. Thanks in advance.
    David

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

David, there are other MTB related things being talked about in the Aire valley in conjunction with Bradford Council and CTC. I think we (SingletrAction) need to liaise with you or, at the very least, put you in the loop as an active interested party. Please get in touch with me directly, in the first part, I’ll put you in touch with the main movers and shakers involved in another Aire valley project.
    hopwood[dot]mail[at]gmail[dot]com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Ilkley Moor Access’ is closed to new replies.