Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)
  • If you dented someones car would you own up?
  • Kryton57

Twice in two weeks now, ive come out of a car park with a small ding in my wing, and now my door. This is blatantly car doors being bashed against it, and what makes me annoyed it why not leave a note of apology?

It feels like, who gives a shit, I just dented your car youll have to pay yourself to fix it. Obviously im expecting too much of people to own up and apologise. Annoyed.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’ve sometimes dinged people who’ve parked too close to me. If they care so little about their property, I don’t see why I should. Most cars are leased , so not really a problem.
    It’s only a car, so nothing important in the grand scheme.

aP
    Free Member

No one in London stops now, not in my experience. Although they did stop and pick up the door mirror from the road and put it on the bonnet.

trail_rat
    Free Member

No body gives a shit these days.

So I stopped buying mint cars and giving a shit. I still won’t batter my door off others cars but another dent added to the collection worrys me alot less than a mint car with a new dent.

I’ve found the land rover quite effective at no one other than other land rovers parking next to it…….but it does have steel bars running along all 4 sides. Bang a door of that and your car will suffer.

Kryton57

I’ve sometimes dinged people who’ve parked too close to me. If they care so little about their property, I don’t see why I should. Most cars are leased , so not really a problem.

Are they? Mine isnt, and seeing as the damage is on the drivers side and I leave enough room for me to get out easily, it would flaw tour argument.

That statement makes you look a bit of an arse tbh. Would you be happy and nonchalant for me to dent yours and take the same attitude?

mechanicaldope

captainsasquatch – that is a shit attitude. My car isn’t leased, I have to work hard to afford it. And anyway, if it was, what difference does it make?Incredibly selfish.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Are they? Mine isnt, and seeing as the damage is on the drivers side and I leave enough room for me to get out easily, it would flaw tour argument.

It’d be different from your specific case and not a flaw in the argument as my experience is different from yours.
    People ding my cars and I’m not that bothered as it’s only a car. In fact I have a nice white psint on one of mine (picture tomorrow if you want) and I’m not bothered about it. I’m more concerned about people needing foodbanks or having to sleepon the streets. Now who’s the arse?

bumper
    Free Member

It’s somebody with that shitty attitude that dented my brand new van when it was 3 days old (its not even 3 weeks old yet). It’s not a contract hire van, it’s mine that I worked hard to pay for. Having something nice and new seems to piss jealous people off. If you want to drive a shed, fine. Just watch how you open the doors and where you put your trolleys and pushchairs, wnkrs.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Somebody at my sailing club bumped my rear bumper so hard it popped it off it’s rubber grommets, no way they didn’t know they’d hit my car because that was quite a bump.
    Gits just drove off.
    Sadly I didn’t see them/it happen, though I did get a colour of thier bumper… a dark green.

Thing is, were a members club since you have to pay a fair whack each year to remain a member you’d think it’d attract decent people.

Ha! No chance.

Which is sad.

Bet yours was hit by a Brexiteer…. 😛

Drac

Yes.

project
    Free Member

In our car park we have 12 spaces side by side and d a certain colour of car seems to leave a mark from his paintwork on all cars thayt park next to his drivers door, result there is an exclusion zone next to his car.

My van also has a black rubber bumper strip down the side to avoid damaging other peoples cars, and like above im more concerned about homeless rough sleepers and food banks rather than a ding in a panel of a vehicle.

also perhaps park somewhere else

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Most cars are leased , so not really a problem.

Only in the grand scheme of your world.

Now who’s the arse?

You’ve answered your own question.

project
    Free Member

When you find the culprit, “No desert for them then”, That will teach them

frankconway

If you’re in/around London no-one gives a f*** which is why body shops outside of the great metropolis refer to ‘london cars’ which is short-hand for dings everywhere.
    The ‘london mentality’ is spreading and I detest the inconsiderate drivers who damage others’ vehicles and think it’s ok to drive off without a note/apology/contact details.
    I’ve had two instances of sitting in my parked car, driver returns to adjacent car which was parked after me, opens door – oops sorry but there’s no damage, is there? Well yes there is so either your insurance or my preferred bodyshop at your cost. I win, they lose – or, more accurately, they pay for the damage they have caused.

@captainsasquatch ‘most cars are leased’; you’re talking crap – and you know it. The majority of cars on the road in the UK are owned or on PCP – NOT leased. Check your facts before posting – unless you’re trolling.

shifter
    Free Member

The “it’s only a car” folk make me laugh. It’s the same as thinking “it’s only a bike” or “it’s only a cyclist”.
    If someone leant their bike on yours and scratched the stanchion would you say the same? It’s only a fork after all.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

@captainsasquatch ‘most cars are leased’; you’re talking crap – and you know it. The majority of cars on the road in the UK are owned or on PCP – NOT leased. Check your facts before posting – unless you’re trolling.

Point taken, will do. 😆
    I love that people are more protective of their material possessions over anything else in this country. It’s perverse.

The “it’s only a car” folk make me laugh. It’s the same as thinking “it’s only a bike” or “it’s only a cyclist”.

Steady tiger!!! There’s a world of difference between a bike and a person. NOT THE SAME ARGUMENT IN THE SLIGHTEST.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Even if they were leased, someone still has to pay for the damage that someone else has caused due to neglect. You think the lease company just write it off?

Boils my piss that some people have so little respect for other peoples property.

Drac

Even if they were leased, someone still has to pay for the damage that someone else has caused due to neglect. You think the lease company just write it off?

Yup I did after Owen Pugh denied ripping the side out if mine, Owen Pugh just said we know nothing despite my wife seeing Owen Pugh pulling away from my smashed car. Owen Pugh just wouldn’t own up so I had to pay up because of Owen Pugh..

hora
    Free Member

It’s nothing to do with ‘it’s only a car mate’.

Its ‘balls I might have to pay something (for anything), can I get out of it’?

I had a bloke with his door wide open resting on my car, strapping his child in. I expected ‘oh sorry’ (that would have negated everything – instead I got ‘what’s your problem, do one’. With a scoul/mate I’ve got a kid/your annoying me.

fergal
    Free Member

Who cares if the forks get scratched par the course mountain biking.

km79
    Free Member

Thing is, were a members club since you have to pay a fair whack each year to remain a member you’d think it’d attract decent people.

Haha! Dream on!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

accident happen, and granted a dent in a panel is no biggy, but if you damage someone else’s property, you should offer to make right.

Who cares if the forks get scratched par the course mountain biking.

During a ride, no one really. if someone chucks their bike on top of mine afterwards and damages it then that’s a different matter.

olly2097
    Free Member

People have hang ups. Some people won’t drink screw top wine but worry about foodbanks. Ahem.

Me personally? My cars have been destroyed in the car park at work, hospital car park, staff mixed with visitors etc. Dented wings, scuffed bumpers. Used to take pride in my motors but I can’t look them unless they are dirty now – it hides the scars.
    I had my rear bumper wrecked at work, had it repaired as nobody left a note. £300. A year later someone has reversed up it again. Ffs. I give up.

As they are not lease cars the point in caring about the cosmetics is the resale value for me. If it looks like a banger it’s going to sell for less. I lose out.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Sat in a car park and a car pulled up and parked next to me.. The passenger opened their door into my van 3 times. The 2nd time they did it I wound down the window and shouted.. Then unbelievably did it again. Then the passenger got out and they shrugged and walked off. They somehow lost a wing mirror and had a similar sized dent and scratch in their door panel before I left..

Nipper99
    Free Member

Yes, why wouldn’t you.

Drac

Here’s the damage Owen Pugh did.

But Owen Pugh Plant Hire didn’t own up.

timber

Oddly, the only car of mine someone left a note on to apologise for knocking it, was the one that had dents to every body panel.

Previous car to that was a rusty wreck which always had a ring of spaces around it, people must’ve thought the rust was catching, or just leaving space for the scrap lorry.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Sat in a car park and a car pulled up and parked next to me.. The passenger opened their door into my van 3 times. The 2nd time they did it I wound down the window and shouted.. Then the passenger got out and they shrugged and walked off. They somehow lost a wing mirror and had a similar sized dent and scratch in their door panel before I left..

Way to go. They’re probably bitching on a forum somewhere about the damage to their car. 😀

People have hang ups. Some people won’t drink screw top wine but worry about foodbanks. Ahem.

You say that like it’s negative. 😕

shifter
    Free Member

Steady tiger!!! There’s a world of difference between a bike and a person. NOT THE SAME ARGUMENT IN THE SLIGHTEST.

Calm down shouty man. I know that and you know that, but some people think a cyclist is “just a bike”.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I wouldn’t.

If I dented someone’s car it would have been a deliberate act, so owning up would be illogical. I don’t do things like that through halfwittery 🙂

frankconway

@captainsasquatch: you refer to ‘….people needing foodbanks and living on the street’ so why don’t you tell us what you do to help the homeless/vulnerably housed/disadvantaged?
    I get pissed off by inconsiderate – and avoidable – damage to my car but, more important than that, I DO something positive to address the issues you refer to.
    For 15 years I have given up my christmas to work as a volunteer with homeless people – away from my home town at my personal financial cost to support those in need; in addition I support two local homeless charities with my time, financial and practical support and organising donations from third party organisations.
    You, my friend, need re-educating.
    It is possible to be concerned about personal possessions/property and simultaneously have a social conscience and community involvement.
    Get a life.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

It’s threads like this that remind me how many people out there are dicks.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Get a life.

Yet I feel that your altruism has limits. You either haven’t read or understood what I wrote.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Here’s the damage Owen Pugh did.

Was it Owen though, or someone who works there?

(my mates son works for them)

Drac

Owen Pugh Plant Hire were the company, I doubt it was Owen Pugh himself as Owen Pugh Plant Hire has been around along time so Owen Pugh must be a good age now.

Yak

Yes, because whilst it might be a slip/accident/kids/ anything, I’m responsible. This has cost me and rightly so. But, going by the increasing number of dents on my van, a fair number of folk don’t give a shit.

frankconway

@captainsasquatch: I read what you wrote and I fully understand what you said.

Did you clearly articulate what you wished to say?

What I do is not altruistic – use your dictionary to understand what the word ‘altruism’ means.

You dismally fail to address my comments but that’s typical of keyboard warriors.

Off you go to trolling.

What a clown.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Off you go to trolling.

What a clown.

Except clowns are ‘supposed to be’ funny.

project
    Free Member

and from a small indescresion in a car park starts a personalised slanging match, bonfire night fire works obviously.

Kryton57

To be fair, despite his right to his own opinion, captainS attitude was pretty anti social, and his follow up just insulting. He might not care materially or personally depsite his appearant turn of mindset where a different definition of “unfortunate” is the case.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘If you dented someones car would you own up?’ is closed to new replies.