Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • iDiet tip
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Milk. It seems to be significantly more detrimental to the diet than I thought it would be.

I was having two small 250ml lattes with whole milk per day, thinking it wasn’t the worst thing. But I found myself getting really very hungry despite eating big compliant meals otherwise. Then it occurred to me that the milk could have been causing the problem, since it apparently causes lots of insulin to be produced. Because I was so hungry I ended up failing on the diet by mid afternoon.

Black coffee only today and I feel fine, no snacks, and not especially hungry either.

donsimon
    Free Member

I haven’t had milk for over 12 months, haven’t had soya drink for about 6 months or more, haven’t lost any weight either. 😥

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I saw an interesting program called ‘Why Aren’t Thin People Fat’ or something last night.

There is so much more to this staying thin lark than we’ve discussed on this forum.

IanMunro
    Free Member

You’re all going to die of heart-attacks though 😀
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/04/full-fat-dairy-for-cardiovascular.html

molgrips
    Free Member

Is it on iPlayer or similar Yeti? I know there’s a lot to it, that’s clear from just looking at people and what they eat.

donsimon
    Free Member

From the link,

About Me
    My Photo

Stephan Guyenet
    I received a B.S. in biochemistry from the University of Virginia in 2002, and a Ph.D. in neurobiology from the University of Washington in 2009. Professionally, I study the neurobiology of body fat regulation and obesity. In my spare time, I study and convey time-tested strategies for achieving and maintaining health and well-being. My goal is to live well, and help others do the same. This blog is a free service to whoever wants to read it. It’s supported by generous reader donations. I have no ties to any company or special interest group.
    I don’t think we need to read any further than the first line, and we all know what BS stans for, don’t we?

petergriffin
    Free Member

Apparently, although milk is thought of as low GI, it has a high insulin response. Cottage cheese is ok on the slow carb diet, if you want a bit of dairy..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Dunno – it was a repeat being shown on one of those high numbered channels on freeview.

Did a pretty basic experiment (a repeat of an older one apparently) where they fed a group of slim/normal students 5000 Kcal a day for several weeks and monitored how their bodies changed.

All gained weight but to different extents and in different ways… some stored it in muscle others in fat.

Some peoples metabolism will adjust to meet the calorie intake in their diet. Some peoples bodies will omit chemical signals to prevent them over eating in the first place.

It is thought that much of this is dictated by your genes and your childhood development etc etc.. and that for the average adult your weight will be pretty constant bar a small amount of middle aged spread.

Essentially… embrace that belly.

iDave
    Free Member

Intriguingly (almost) I’ve just made a latte for maybe the second time in the last year…. Normally never even bother to buy milk, but Mrs iDave has it in her tea.

duckman

P-G; just put cottage cheese in my coffee, as you suggested…tasted rank.

molgrips
    Free Member

I just read all of IanMunro’s link – it’s bloody interesting.

Seems there’s milk and there’s milk. Different cows in different countries fed different diets; pasteurised, un-pasteurised and low temp pasteurised.. aged cheese versus non aged.. grass fed cows..

Milk definitely tastes different in the USA, and Mrs Grips’ ‘lactose intolerance’ is almost non existent in the UK, apparently because the milk is different.

miketually
    Free Member

Milk. It seems to be significantly more detrimental to the diet than I thought it would be.

It also ruins coffee.

Keva
    Free Member

yup, black coffee all the way, the last time I drank coffee with milk must have been probably around 1994 or 1995.

Kev

IanMunro
    Free Member

Milk definitely tastes different in the USA

Quite often I hear Americans taking about grass fed beef, and grass fed milk. I’m guessing that with intensive farming methods it might not be the norm there.

iDave
    Free Member

iDiet tip – Milk. It seems to be significantly more detrimental to the diet than I thought it would be.

I was having two small 250ml lattes with whole milk per day, thinking it wasn’t the worst thing. But I found myself getting really very hungry despite eating big compliant meals otherwise. Then it occurred to me that the milk could have been causing the problem, since it apparently causes lots of insulin to be produced. Because I was so hungry I ended up failing on the diet by mid afternoon.

Black coffee only today and I feel fine, no snacks, and not especially hungry either.

Don’t have stuff that’s not on the allowed list….. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

In other words, iDave was right.

I’m havin cheese tho after reading that link!

mustard
    Free Member

iDiet tip – Don’t have stuff that’s not on the allowed list

That’s what I was going to suggest!

molgrips
    Free Member

I am coming to the conclusion that some things on the disallowed list are much worse than others though.

I hear Americans taking about grass fed beef, and grass fed milk. I’m guessing that with intensive farming methods it might not be the norm there

I don’t think it is. I buy organic milk here in the belief that it contains more goodness, presumably because it’s more grass fed?

BigJohn

I’ve just made a latte for maybe the second time in the last year

Second time in 5 days then?

tazzymtb

on a different Idave note, I’ve found how to make idave compliant bread/muffins for having with soup, also makes ace dumplings for big bean stews

scruff
    Free Member

go on tazzy…

tazzymtb

I’ll sort out a proper weight n measure version as it’s a bit “bucket chemistry” at the moment, the main thing is getting the palm oil to bean flour mix right to effectively make veg suet without using the shop stuff that has a trace of rice flour in it. ( not that it would make a massive difference if you were lazy)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Nice one dave, I’ll, errr, digest that properly later.

Does still allow for fruits though?

Is that difference because the iDiet is for fatties looking to lose whereas the article is talking about athletes keeping weight off?

BigJohn

Can’t you keep that news quiet Dave?

You know you would hate to be mainstream.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Over Christmas I watched A Sunday in Hell for the 1st time.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4IDCkcnnHg[/video]

Noticed one of the top riders and his team mates were eating steak for breakfast.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Dave’s link mentions Brussel Sprouts, so for that reason I’m out.

rewski
    Free Member
    TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

rewski – wouldn’t a pint of milk and a pint of beer give you very similar fuel to a posh recovery drink?

The film about Cav on the TDF showed them all glugging down wine on an evening.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Yay, the first idave diet / molgrips update thread of the year! 🙂

Mol, fwiw, i’ve given up lattes (previously with skimmed milk) and a good 95% of my chocolate addiction. That’s the only change I’ve made and I’ve lost 4kgs and inches all over. Drinking effectively a pint of whole milk in your two lattes a day is a lot of fat/calories compared to skimmed milk, never mind cheating on the idiet 😛 I also find drinking coffee makes me seriously hungry (especially if i have a coffee about 2pm, by mid afternoon I’m hungry) so I always have healthy snacks to hand so I don’t have to resort to the vending machine evilness. I hope drinking black coffee helps you stick to the diet, but if not, you could consider not having two coffees to see if that helps?

*waves at TSY*

rewski
    Free Member

TSY – most probably, although I probably wouldn’t drink them at the same time. That website will probably be saying avoid yellow fruits with spots next week.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Rewski – it’s like snakebite and black for the fitness fanatics.

Hey up Dirty… you tried green tea?

Does the article cover how to get enough calories whilst avoiding fast carbs? I’m really struggling at the minute so have been topping my diet up with chocolate or cheese and crackers.

IanMunro
    Free Member

You could substitute them with doughnuts, they’ve got a higher fruit content.

rewski
    Free Member

Compressed carbs is the way to go, rolling pin and a pack of sorren, works everytime.

davidrussell
    Free Member

i missed the idiet Phenomena and rueing the decision as i’m effectively 2 stone overweight now 😳 Is there a way to get on this express train of weight loss?

CaptJon
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member
    Does the article cover how to get enough calories whilst avoiding fast carbs? I’m really struggling at the minute so have been topping my diet up with chocolate or cheese and crackers.

It suggests starch is the problem, and too many conflate starch and carbs. Eat carbs from non-starch sources (some whole grains), and that carbs should be 50% of your meal.

phil.w
    Free Member

I buy organic milk here in the belief that it contains more goodness, presumably because it’s more grass fed?

The opposite is often the case. As in less grass fed.

To have organic outdoor cows you need to put your organic reared cows into organic certified fields. It takes 3 years of organic use to convert a field from non to organic. During this time you can’t sell the produce as organic even though you are often paying extra to produce this way.

To do the same with with shed cows you can do so overnight. Buy your organic cows from market and put them on a concrete floor all year round, feed them organic feed.

It goes against the ethos of organic but which do you think is most popular?

Sorry to shatter you beliefs. 😥

molgrips
    Free Member

Phil I actually read a study that said there was more omega 3 in organic milk. That’s where my ‘belief’ came from, you can’t blame me for that. Plus it’s not much more expensive.

So I still see an awful lot of cows standing in fields eating grass. Surely they are dairy cows?

Drinking effectively a pint of whole milk in your two lattes a day is a lot of fat/calories compared to skimmed milk

Hmm but this isn’t about calories so much, it’s about insulin. And milk makes your body produce a lot more insulin than the sugar in it would suggest.. I think that might help lower your blood sugar and make you hungry.

Yeti – I had this problem in Germany. The solution is to do LESS exercise but more focused.. but you are an addict so that won’t wash I’m sure 🙂 I found there was a limit to how many beans/veg I could eat so I ended up topping up with simple carbs around exercise and I started to lose more weight, cos I was riding harder.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Molly – yep, I have to be addicted to something, it’s just the way it goes.
    Been reading a lot of stuff about triathlete’s nutritional plans… I’m almost tempted to start taking supplements / loads of bread.

BoardinBob

I think that might help lower your blood sugar and make you hungry.

I’ve been thinking about this. From what I can tell, the insulin issue is less about controlling hunger, and more about what insulin does in terms of storing fat. Yes, no, maybe?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘iDiet tip’ is closed to new replies.