Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • idiet recipe's please.
  • ton

looking for some more idiet recipe’s.
    Bagstards keema peas, chickpea curry and bhaji’s is a weekly fave now.
    primal meatloaf off MDA is one i make regular, and the ghoulash off there too, oh and the beef burgandy.

anyone got any more recipe’s?

FieldMarshall

We had Frittata last night using chorizo, butternut squash, sweet peppers, mushrooms and onion. Had the leftovers for breakfast!

Also had Beef burgundy tonight, after seeing your recommendation the other day. Really nice.

Also cooked up a Moroccanish style chicken and chorizo casserole last weekend. Sauteed some chorizo, quatered a chicken and browned it off in the chorizo fat, threw in some chickpeas, celery, carrot, kidney beans, stock and spices and then into the slow cooker for 6 hours or so.

Also had Thai curry recently with gram flour chapatis. Chapati recipe is on the same website as the bhajis.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack ton, I have just started this,musing some stuff from The Stone Soup but what is MDA primal meatloaf, cheers mate

FieldMarshall

It’s off the primal diet website Marks Daily Apple

Here

Bagstard
    Free Member

I have been way slack with my recipes of late and am also looking for inspiration. I’m liking the idea of meatloaf, although it has a pretty hefty fat content.A colleague has been bringing home made scotch eggs to work, which look like a good portable breakfast idea, I will look into it.

Solo
    Free Member

A colleague has been bringing home made scotch eggs to work, which look lie a good portable breakfast idea, I will look into it

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-scotch-eggs/#axzz1sSzo8rtd

WARNING:

Beware the Scotch Egg.
    It will own you, in the end.
    😉

LeeW

Fry a little Chorizio, ham or what ever with slices of garlic. throw in some warmed chickpeas, good olive oil and some spinach leaves.

Nom to your heart’s content.

(Taken from Lunya Catalan restaurant in Liverpool)

Bagstard
    Free Member

Nice one solo, I will definitely making these at the weekend! Have you made them and what seasoning/spices did you use?

Solo
    Free Member

Nice one solo, I will definitely making these at the weekend! Have you made them and what seasoning/spices did you use?

I’m still caught in the wake of a house move, so they are on the To do list.

They are sooo on the to do list.
    😉

Bagstard.
    I have every faith in your culinary excellence.
    I expect you to report back next week with kitchen success !.

When you can decide whats in the meat, I reckon those have got to be the best Scotch Eggs, ever.

If you’re gonna make mini ones.
    Just scramble your eggs and then put a dollop inside the sphere of meat.

Initial thoughts for seasoning the meat are rosemary, thyme, oregano, salt pepper, olive oil… Maybe some tabasco sauce.
    Or
    Cumin, fenegreek, salt, pepper, chilly.

But theres probably better mince meat seasoning ideas on places like the BBC food site.

Or do an asian stylee S/E by mixing in a garam masala mix into the meat.

Very versatile food item, so flavours and themes on your S/E can be varied.
    😉

And don’t, under any circumstances whatsoever….
    Eat your Scotch Egg with hummous 😯

So good, its got to be illegal.
    😀

Solo
    Free Member
    Bagstard
    Free Member

solo, thanks for the vote of confidence! The seasoning is going to make the difference between edible and amazing, so I will look into that before any attempts. My colleague has admitted his first effort wasn’t perfect and will be making seasoning adjustments next batch.

Some considered options were using kofte mix to season and muy idea of a super scotch egg – boiled egg, wrapped in crispy bacon, wrapped in sausage meat!

Solo
    Free Member

Some considered options were using kofte mix to season and muy idea of a super scotch egg – boiled egg, wrapped in crispy bacon, wrapped in sausage meat!

Oh !, don’t.

I haven’t had breakfast.
    🙂

As the outer shell is made from minced meat, theres a fair bit of variation that can be added.

Wondering if the minced meat will need a biding agent to help it stay together.
    also wondering about rolling in Gram flour (and spices) before introducing them to the cooking oil….

Wrapping the bacon around the egg is a tempting idea, so long as we get the bacon cooked through, of course.
    😀

ton

although it has a pretty hefty fat content.

like me….. 😉

but seriously, it has’nt. i use minced lean steak, and no minced pork.
    i also double up the veg stuff in it, and add some red chillies.

Solo
    Free Member

but seriously, it has’nt. i use minced lean steak, and no minced pork

This is a key point.
    I’d be using lean meat as often as possible.

Hence my comment above about when you get to control what goes into your food ( scotch eggs ) then I reckon your meal will be superior.

I’ll be using lean meat for the mince in my scotch eggs.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Yes, bacon will need to be nice and crisp for my taste, it will soften from the moist meat surrounding it anyway. Scotch egg man at work didn’t use any breadcrumbs and they held together well. I’m pretty sure he baked them rather than frying, but I will have to confirm.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I will difinitely have a go at that ton, nicely transportable too!

ton

ideal for riding food. cold slices in a small tupperwear box with some olives.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Just had confirmation on the scotch eggs, sprayed with frylight and baked for 25-30 mins on medium, turned over half way.

Solo
    Free Member

baked for 25-30 mins on medium, turned over half way

Bagstard.
    Thanks for that.

Solo
    Free Member

Ok.

I have made some of those Scotch Eggs.

To the minced pork, I added turmeric, cumin, freshly ground carraway seeds, salt, pepper, EVOO, Rosemary and Thyme.

Ingredients I may consider for next time include.
    Onion, very finely chopped.
    A small amouint of garlic.
    Cayenne pepper.

They worked out to be quite large, slightly larger than the ” Taste the difference ” Scotch Eggs from Sainsbury’s.

I used Large eggs, so if size is a factor, go for a smaller egg size.

The pork I used was recorded as having over 26g of protein per 100g.
    Where as the Shop bought scotch egg quoted only ~16g of protein per 100g.
    Carbohydrates:
    1g for the pork
    6.1g for the S-S/E
    of which sugars were reported as 0.4g and 0.5g respectively.

I tried frying them in a pan to cook the meat and ran into problems.
    So I went to plan B, which was to bake them.

I didn’t record the time or temp, but just kept an eye on them until they were turning a dark, cooked meat colour.
    I’d estimate about 40 mins in the oven, mid height.

Generally, I’m thinking that the home made, primal stylee, S/E was superior to a shop bought S/E.
    Least the ones I’ve encountered.

Very portable, very tasty, easy to make.
    😉

ditch_jockey

Bagstards keema peas, chickpea curry and bhaji’s is a weekly fave now.

Fancy sharing?

Solo
    Free Member

Fancy sharing?

Thanks to Bagstard, one of our resident iDiet cookery stars:
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbsidedishes/r/caulirice.htm
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chickpeacurry_2213
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/461642/keema-with-peas
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/16164/baked-onion-bhajis.aspx

I’ve been playing about with hummous.
    2 Table spoons of Hummous
    1/2 Tea spoon of ground black pepper
    Pinch of salt
    1 Table spoon EVOO
    1 Table spoon of cyder vinegar
    1/2 Tea spoon of tabasco sauce – optional

I’ve got some Scotch Eggs in the oven at the mo.
    I’ll let you know how batch number two works out.

EDIT:
    I mix the hummous ^^^ with some drained, tined tuna or if I make a larger quantity, I poor in onto a salad.
    Or it can be used as a dip.
    Also try using lemon juice instead of cyder vinegar.

deepo
    Free Member

The bhajis are gettin it! Thanks for the recipes.

metalheart
    Free Member

been meaning to add to the list…

I’ve been relying heavily on the following:

Lentil & Split pea soup:

chop up & fry/sauté off a large onion (throw in s sprinkling of chilli flakes as well just for the hell of it) in EVOO.
    rinse 1 cup red lentils and 1 cup yellow or green split peas ( helps if you soak these first)
    once onion is done add lentils/pea and add boiling water (start with 1-1.5 litres but check regularly in case it needs more) and add a couple of veg stock cubes. Actual veg stock is better like…
    bring to boil and simmer for 45-90 mins or until the peas are soft.

Lentil, celery & ginger soup:

chop up & fry off/sauté a large red onion with 4 sticks celery (chopped) and a couple of carrots (chopped) for about 20 minutes in EVOO.
    add a big chunk of ginger (grated) and a couple cloves garlic (also grated) and fry a minute or two longer.
    Add 2 cups of rinsed red lentils then approx 1-1.5 litres boiling water.
    add 1 veg stock and 1 chicken stock cube.
    Bring to boil and simmer for about 30-45 minutes.
    Zap with a hand mixer and bingo, soup.

Bean Ratatouille/Stew:

Chop and fry/sauté a large red (or 2 small) onions in EVOL, sorry EVOO.
    Add a sprinkling of chilli flakes (or chopped chilli of your choice)
    slice 2 courgettes and add.
    slice and chop a pepper (or half one them long sweet ones) and add.
    You could add (half?) an aubergine (in fact you should but I’m not a fan.
    Once you think they’re about done add 3 or 4 cloves crushed, sliced or grated garlic. Also season liberally with black pepper, hell lots of it. Maybe a grind or two of salt wont go amiss.
    Add tin/carton of chopped (or cherry) tomatoes and some passata (equally add fresh tomatoes, esp if they are a little past their best for eating ‘raw’, as long you have a reasonable amount of liquid)
    add 1 x drained and rinse tin chick peas + 1 x rinsed and drained tin of other bean (cannellini, flageolet, even butter beans will work).
    Bring to boil and simmer for about 30 minutes or until it looks about right and the beans have softened enough but not mush.
    If you need more liquid add a little water (boiling/hot) to suit. It shouldn’t be runny though…

I’ve also been using the white bean tuna salad although I use half a red onion (or a whole small one) chopped, (couple spoons EV olive oil, a half a lemon juiced, seasoned with black pepper and a little salt), a hand full of fresh chopped tomatoes (cherry, santini or the like) or half a red sweet pepper and a drained tin of tuna (I prefer the M&S in spring water myself).

Tonight I had proper pork sausages with roast parsnip & cauliflower which was really, really good. (pair and slice a parsnip, chop up half a cauli into florets, place in roasting dish with liberal amount EVOO, rummle them all up in the oil and then a fair bit of black pepper ground on top, place in preheated oven 190-200 for, oh half an hour, mmmm).

Bagstard
    Free Member

Well done on the scotch eggs solo, I’ve had a manic week and no time for new recipes, but will hopefully get on it this week. Just had four days in north Wales and I was definitely not following the diet, back on the wagon today.I’m liking the look of your lentil and split pea soup metalheart and the simple roast sausage and veg sounds good too!

iBaa
    Free Member

Well thats tea sorted for tonight 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

Good post Metalheart.
    😀

Bagstard.
    Theres always time for cycling.
    Where in Wales did you go ?.

I’ll be watching for the Bagstard, Scotch Eggs.
    😀

For my second batch.
    I added to the minced pork.
    Rosemary, Thyme, one crushed clove of Garlic, half a red pepper, very finely chopped, ground black pepper, EVOO.
    Turned out OK, but I think theres still room for improvement.

jota180
    Free Member

How about ……….

Fry or grill 1lb of streaky bacon to your liking
    Take 2 x 1″ thick slices of fresh, soft white bread, and apply liberal coatings of butter

Encase bacon between slices of bread and add your condiment of choice

Serve with a large mug of tea

Beats beans & hummus hands down 🙂

wallop

Jota, you forgot the butter.

Edit, how did I miss that!?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Solo, we did the rangers path, Marin, Penmachno and MBR, had some good weather and some terrible and were plagued by mechanicals, but still a good trip.

Solo
    Free Member

Jota180.

😆

How about ……….

I don’t think you’ve understood the purpose of this thread, have you ?.

😆

Solo
    Free Member

but still a good trip.

Aye, Mountain biking.
    You can’t beat it.
    😀

jota180
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ve understood the purpose of this thread, have you ?.

Oh …. I think I have 😉

Solo
    Free Member

How about ………

Fry or grill 1lb of streaky bacon to your liking
    Take 2 x 1″ thick slices of fresh, soft white bread, and apply liberal coatings of butter

Encase bacon between slices of bread and add your condiment of choice

Serve with a large mug of tea

Beats beans hummus hands down

Nope !.
    😀

EDIT:
    Heres an idea.
    Why don’t you just rock-up to a thread and ask for an argument ?.
    And generally try, poorly, to piss on everyone elses chips.
    With no regard for how ignorant you appear to be.
    😆

Oh, hang on…
    😆

jota180
    Free Member

Why don’t you just rock-up to a thread and ask for an argument ?.

I think you’re taking things way too seriously here fella – chill a bit, it was only a little joke

never mind

metalheart
    Free Member

Glad you guys are getting something out of my stock and trade meals.

The lentil & split pea soup is my mums, just minus the tatties. After all these years I still love it, thanks mum :mrgreen:

Oh Bagstard, I didn’t roast the sausages but I guess that it would work. You need to chop the cauli up reasonably small and not slice the parsnip too thin or else the parsnip burns and the cauli is a little undercooked. But considering this is the first time I’ve roasted veg its a revelation. Any suggestions for other veg to roast I’d be obliged.

Speaking to a work colleague I’m hoping to pick up a bunch of other recipes soon. If they work out I’ll post em up.

If it hadn’t been for the likes of Solo and ADH I’d not have managed to survive without having to cheat by the end of the week. Ton is also an inspiration. Thanks guys. I’m owe you a red wine 😉

Please people keep posting as I still need 6 banker recipies and another 6 for rotational purposes…

Oh 1 & 3/4 stone lost in just over 6 weeks, it works. 😯

Solo
    Free Member

Metalheart.

Bagstard and Ton are my iDiet receipe stars.
    😀

These receipes may need some adaptation, but have you checked out this ?…

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/recipes/page/2/#axzz1tcKINEpl

metalheart
    Free Member

Solo: Not yet, I keep forgetting to… duh.

I must remember tonight… 😀

Bagstard
    Free Member

Onion, peppers, carrots,mushrooms and butter nut squash are all nice roasted. Why does food discusson always make me hungry?! 🙂

Bagstard
    Free Member

This weather is making me want lentil and pea soup! How about some ham in there too?!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘idiet recipe's please.’ is closed to new replies.