Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • iDave diet:Alternatives to passata?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

I’m going to start the iDave diet today, but lots of my cooking uses a tomato in the sauce, ie for chilli. What are you all using instead?

Jamie
    Free Member

I thought tomatoes were in?

No hang on, they are out.

No in,

No out.

It seems to change from day to day.

geoffj

You don’t put custard on tomatoes = in

Oh bollocks http://www.shesimmers.com/2011/05/baked-tomatoes-with-custard-filling.html

BoardinBob

I’ve been using passata. I was under the impression tomatoes were in.

Tomatoes have a GI of 15 according to this list

http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/

scruff
    Free Member

Do tomatoes go with custard ?

MSP

Tomatoes are fruit, fruit is out 😆

Bagstard
    Free Member

I’ve not been following it, only read some info from a year ago, so maybe things have changed since?!

Keva
    Free Member

I say tomatoes are in, I eat them and I am thin.

Kev

Jamie
    Free Member

Do tomatoes go with custard ?

Yes.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Basically if it derives from a flower and contains seeds it’s a fruit botanically speaking, irrespective of it’s GI value or sugary badness.

So if tomtatoes are counted as an iFruit then that also rules out many things we conversationally call vegetables such as squashes, pumpkins, courgettes, cucumbers, peas, beans, aubergine, and sweet peppers….

….leaves your list of “things I can eat” looking a bit sparse doesn’t it ?

loum
    Free Member

I’d say that tomatoes are in because the custard above is in rather than on them.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I’d say “no-one ever got fat by having too many tomatoes in their diet” 😀

Keva
    Free Member

as long as they aren’t filled with custard!

miketually
    Free Member

Tomatoes are fruit, fruit is out

No they’re not. The custard rule trumps any botanical silliness.

sobriety
    Free Member

Having read that it’s not really custard, since it’s just a mixture of eggs and cream, more of tomatoes filled with omelette.

MSP

If your just going to choose to ignore the rules you don’t like, why not be done with it and move to France!

Bagstard
    Free Member

**** it then, tomatoes are in! 🙂

MSP

You are what you eat.

Keva
    Free Member

If your just going to choose to ignore the rules you don’t like, why not be done with it and move to France!

is molgrips in France?

Kev

miketually
    Free Member

it’s not really custard, since it’s just a mixture of eggs and cream

That’s what custard is…

Stuey01
    Free Member

What are you doing putting tomatoes in chilli? It is supposed to be chilli, not spicy bolognese.

Use beef stock.

Jamie
    Free Member

is molgrips in France?

Heh.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I like spicy bolognaise!

Stuey01
    Free Member

I like spicy bolognaise!

As you were then.

Seriously… Try it with no tomatoes (or just a small ammount if you must), use beef stock instead, loads of kidney beans (I use two tins per 500g of mince), plenty of chilli powder, paprika, black pepper, then a couple of pieces of dark chocolate (80% cocoa stuff), right at the end of cooking.

Bloody luvverly it is.

molgrips
    Free Member

The iDiet uses the culinary definition of fruit, not the botanical one.

The culinary definition I presume stems from how sweet they are and hence how much sugar there is.. so it makes sense really.

Tomatoes, squash, courgettes, pumpkin – all in.

Although the thing that stops me eating pasta sauces isn’t the tomatoes, it’s the lack of pasta. So rather than try and find a substitute for pasta I just don’t eat pasta dishes.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Stuey01, I always use beef stock, never used chocolate though. Usually chuck some of the vinegar from the red jalapenos and sweetner to take the edge off the tomatoes.

Stuey01
    Free Member

The chocolate gives a really nice smoothness, without reducing the spicyness. It does add a certain something – I recommend.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Thanks molgrips, loads of suitable Morroccan and curry dishes contain tomatoes, so glad to hear they are in.

zilog6128

Going to have a crack at the iDiet from Monday. Will try to stick to it strictly for a month so trying to come up with recipes, etc this week.

I take it stuff like tomato sauce (ketchup) and BBQ sauce is out due to the high sugar content, or is it OK in small quantities?

Also, nuts and seeds, yay or nay? can’t find any mention of them in any threads.

Stuey01
    Free Member

loads of suitable Morroccan

Recipes? Love moroccan food.

willard

I read that as alternatives to pasta… Was about to suggest quinoa.

scruff
    Free Member

Nutella is nice in chilli.

BoardinBob

I take it stuff like tomato sauce (ketchup) and BBQ sauce is out due to the high sugar content, or is it OK in small quantities?

Also, nuts and seeds, yay or nay? can’t find any mention of them in any threads.

Ketchup etc out.

Nuts ok as a small snack.

Seeds, dunno.

BigJohn

Certain fruit – tomatoes, olives, and I think, Avocado are OK on the iDiet.

I have had a lot of success with the plan, I went for a low weekly weight loss and I’m happy with what I can eat.

I have sugar in coffee, I have sauce on my bacon and eggs, and I have Branston Baked Beans.

Find out what works for you. If you hate the food you’re eating you won’t stick at it will you?

Keva
    Free Member

just out of interest, what is the sweetest food allowed?

i’m guesing either tomato, red peppers or beetroot or something?

Kev

fennesz
    Free Member

I live in France & I eat tomatoes. Lost 12kg so far….

kayak23

Why not substitute the tomatoes? Say for……Lobsters?

Nick

If you’re craving something sweet, especially after meals, try cleaning your teeth or even better chewing some gum.

Keva
    Free Member

or even better chewing some gum

sugar free gum. drinking carbonated water also hits the spot.

Kev

molgrips
    Free Member

Also, nuts and seeds, yay or nay? can’t find any mention of them in any threads

Nuts and seeds are IN, but go easy because they have a lot of calories in. They are however extremely good for you.

Sugar free gum – beware, the sweet taste and sweetners can stimulate insulin production as if you had eaten sugar.

Tea is good for me for removing hunger and sweet cravings. Also water. A drink of water is almost as good as a sugary drink. Doens’t work if you are proper hungry though of course.

just out of interest, what is the sweetest food allowed?

After a while on the diet, you will begin to appreciate the sweetness in green beans, carrots and even broccoli. They will become your sweet foods and you will look forward to them 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘iDave diet:Alternatives to passata?’ is closed to new replies.