Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Iconic photos – suggestions please…
  • algarvebairn
    Free Member

cheers for that marsdenman.

GaryLake
    Free Member

+1 the photo book

marsdenman
    Free Member

algarebairn – apologies but I could not help but post it – quite possibly the single most poerful image I've ever seen….

certainly gave me pause to sit and think a minute…

donsimon
    Free Member

Xipe Totec put a link to that photo (larger size) and other powerful shots here, some shots may offend the more sensitive.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Deleted!!!

LsD
    Free Member

LsD
    Free Member

8 seconds……….

grynch
    Free Member

adn a whole different type of iconic photo.. but if you were a teenage male in the 70's you knew this photo…

Kit
    Free Member

Good point actually, this is pretty iconic:

marsdenman
    Free Member

I knew the shot, often though there would be simply no way I could stand by and take even one frame of such a scene – i'd be in there taking the child away….

Just read up on the detail….

This shocking photo depicts a starving Sudanese child being stalked by a patient vulture. It is a horrific picture that gave people a true look at the dire condition in Sub-Saharan Africa. Kevin Carter, who took the photo, won a Pulitzer Prize for this work. Kevin then came under a lot of scrutiny for spending over 20 minutes setting up the photo instead of helping the child. Three months after taking the photo, he committed suicide..

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

The vietnam war produced some of the most amazing/iconic photos. A good field trip would be to the American War museum in Ho Chi Minh city to see their exhibition of photos, taken by photographers from all sides. (understand that may be over-budget as field trips go)

never seen the picture of the child and vulture. It's a distressing image. Why didn't he take the picture then help the child?

Loads of classic images already but no-one's included this:

ianv
    Free Member

eamon mccabe for sports photos

There is a great one of a boxers hands and one of a table tennis player

donsimon
    Free Member

I knew the shot, often though there would be simply no way I could stand by and take even one frame of such a scene – i'd be in there taking the child away….

Just read up on the detail….

This shocking photo depicts a starving Sudanese child being stalked by a patient vulture. It is a horrific picture that gave people a true look at the dire condition in Sub-Saharan Africa. Kevin Carter, who took the photo, won a Pulitzer Prize for this work. Kevin then came under a lot of scrutiny for spending over 20 minutes setting up the photo instead of helping the child. Three months after taking the photo, he committed suicide..

Sometimes the picture is more powerful in my opinion. Would we still be talking about (the) atrocities if he had helped the child? Were the people who criticised the photographer even there? Do we know what happened to the child? How many other children were saved because the more advanced countries saw this image?

I fall in line with Kevin Carter and would have taken the picture without hesitation. Just an observation.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

The Manic Street Preachers wrote a song about Kevin Carter didn't they?

Got to be the most powerful image I have ever seen. I showed a girl in the office it about half an hour ago and she hasn't come out of the toilet since.

avdave2

Bill Brandt

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Iconic photos – suggestions please…’ is closed to new replies.